• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Building Challenge Thread

oozinator

So you think you're a great builder?

Well, prove it.

This thread is meant to test your construction talents. Yes, there is a MineCraft Build Museum thread already but the builds there are freebuilds. Here, you'll be tasked with a specific building challenge. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't be creative - the challenges will have rules, but there will be enough leeway.

Don't know what to build? This thread is also perfect for that. Take on one of our challenges and surprise yourself with what you can create.

What are the prizes you ask?

Pure and simple.

Bragging rights.

So enough with the chit-chat. Get to work!

Anyone who is a regular on Classic knows that of all the blocks available to build with, there is only one that is so ugly, that no decent build can be made entirely of it. Heck, even if a build is made up of only 1/3 of this block, it is an abomination. And that block is:

tnt.png

But perhaps, you're good enough to prove me wrong. The challenge, if you choose to accept it, is to make a build that is at least one-third TNT and that doesn't look like puke. When you're done, post a screenshot of it here.

Rules:

1. From the outside, the build must look like it is 1/3 TNT blocks and 2/3 other blocks.

2. The TNT must not, in the slightest way, be interpreted as a platform, stand, or scaffold for a build. So, no non-TNT sprites on a TNT platform.

3. The exception to Rule 2 is for homes. TNT flooring is allowed, but the entire floor must be visible from anywhere on the outside ground floor. If it is not, it breaks Rule 1.

Bonuses:

1. For guest and cool ranks, you get bonus points if you include this build in your promo thread and are eventually promoted.* Please include a link to your promotion thread in your post. (Other builds can be in the thread)

2. For builder+ rank, you get bonus points if your build is not mistaken by others as the work of a guest rank.

3. If, by some miracle, you are promoted in-game for this build, you will have my instant following.

4. Another bonus if the build is 50% TNT. Double bonus if it is 66% TNT. Triple bonus and my following if it is 100%.

* If you can convince me that this build clenched your promotion, you earn my following. :D

Ok Ooz, here is my quick build:

HSgB6.jpg

5N9aF.jpg

I2HKi.jpg

Wow, that looks totally legit. I love how you used TNT for the balloon - a part of your build that you can easily pass off as decor. Because of the way you used it, the TNT doesn't look out of place.

For this build, you've passed the challenge and earned the following bonuses:

+1 Definitely not your usual guest build.
+1 50% of build is TNT blocks.

So total score is Pass + 2. Good job!

EDIT: I should add for future entries that participants should avoid making builds similar to other entries. For example, let's not have "flying airship zeppelin No. 2 with even bigger TNT balloon". Originality is smiled upon here :D

My submission:

Based on: Rafflesia

screenshot_20120604230422.png

screenshot_20120604230437.png

screenshot_20120604230452.png

screenshot_20120604230629.png

The black things are flies, the long yellow column things are stink-lines, and the purple stuff is just artistic license. I'm not sure how I feel about my build. A few builders checked it out, and I bet they were like, "Dafuq?".

It is definitely the weirdest thing I've ever built.

My submission:

Based on: Rafflesia

View attachment 112752

View attachment 112753

View attachment 112754

View attachment 112755

The black things are flies, the long yellow column things are stink-lines, and the purple stuff is just artistic license. I'm not sure how I feel about my build. A few builders checked it out, and I bet they were like, "Dafuq?".

It is definitely the weirdest thing I've ever built.
You are right, tnt blocks are one ugly motherfucker. I could totally see this being prettier without tnt. Or less tnt.

+1 point for not mistaken as work of guest.

You are right, tnt blocks are one ugly motherfucker. I could totally see this being prettier without tnt. Or less tnt.

+1 point for not mistaken as work of guest.

Yeah, I think regardless of what kind of build it is, it will most likely be better off without using TNT. My build is well over 66% TNT, and I guess it doesn't help that what I was trying to build was an ugly "corpse flower". :p

I was thinking of not using TNT for the petals, but I'm not so sure whether changing them would still comply with Rule 1. I might revisit this build later.

Here we go.
screenshot_20120605195438.png

screenshot_20120605195518.png

Had 2 more pictures but it said files too large. Its in the current guest world.

Fact: TNT stuff looks better from far.

Here we go.
View attachment 112782
View attachment 112783
Had 2 more pictures but it said files too large. Its in the current guest world.

Fact: TNT stuff looks better from far.

I've just taken a look at it. I would pass it.

As far as bonuses, you get:

+ 1 Definitely not guest work.
+ 1 50% - 65% of build is TNT

/measure reveals your build to have 1868 TNT blocks and 1067 stone blocks, so you're just a few hundred TNT blocks shy of the double bonus for 66% TNT.

But eh, no biggie.

Total score: Pass + 2

And yes, TNT is so much better from a far (and in these thumbnails). For example, the second pic of my build looks sweet, but once you click on it, it's like "WTF is that?!"

On another note, this thread was supposed to encourage builders and lower rank to build rather than "be mini-moderators".

/epicfail

On another note, this thread was supposed to encourage builders and lower rank to build rather than "be mini-moderators".

/epicfail
Seeing as only awesome ranks post here. You have indeed failed. Except Jazz (but he didnt post any build, so argument still valid)

Seeing as only awesome ranks post here. You have indeed failed. Except Jazz (but he didnt post any build, so argument still valid)
No, I think it's just that the challenge one of the more difficult ones that could have been chosen first.

I guess you guys need a new challenge. So, here is my challenge to you.
You need to incoporate 3 hemispheres into a build. The challenge here is to make it look beautiful.

The hemispheres can be in any direction.

2 semi spheres forming a sphere will not be counted.

Just to make it more challenging, each hemisphere cannot use the same materials.

You can mix materials in each hemispheres. However, if you used 3 materials in the 1st hemisphere, you cannot use those 3 materials in the other 2 hemispheres.

For awesome+ ranks, no using cuboids.

It takes a lot of skill to build a perfectly curved sphere. So have fun!

Back