• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Keyboard Kleansing

MotorKat

Woooooh, boy. Its another one of those Instructional blogs with Pictures and everything! Only this time, I get to share with you readers why (recommended) you should never eat meals in front of your battlestation. Or snacks. Or Anything related to foodstuffs.
Here's a picture of my current keyboard:
0405152230.jpg

Now, this keyboard has some history. I've had it since before I went to college, accompanied by a laptop. It didn't find as much use until after I built my current desktop in 2012, and you can tell the wear marks from my hands furiously playing games and typing obscenities in various chats that it definitely has had action. I could just toss it and get a new shiny keyboard, but I like how this one is mechanical. Plus, that Smart Card Terminal is all snaazzyy. *Wooo!*
Anyways, time for the photos! First, I prepped a small bucket of soapy water for the keys to soak in:
0405152240c.jpg

next, I started prying the keys off with my hands (then later a butterknife when those became sore)
0405152244b.jpg

I could already tell this was going to be one hell of a cleaning job... It was FUZZY. *Shudders*
0405152258c.jpg

Hehe. Trying not to Break anything...
0405152254d.jpg

Now, this is a closeup of how disgusting things got. Note that I practiced semi-regular aerations of the space beneath the keyboards. Really! This is just what happens when oily-sticky-saucey-soupy-anything happens to splash or crumble into those little crevices, and it builds up over time! blegh.
0405152304.jpg

Here is the keyboard, all stripped of its clackitude and clicks. There is so much there, so where to start?
0405152303a.jpg

I grabbed a utility brush and dunked it in the soapy bucket, then started brushy-brushy-squeaky-cleaning all the things!
0405152314.jpg
0405152326f.jpg

B-BdMmuCMAAdHJC.jpg

0406150023.jpg

After a couple swirlies, the oils and nasties from beneath the keys was very evident:
0406150012b.jpg

0406150027.jpg

And ALL THE SQUEAKY CLEANS!
0406150031b.jpg

Wow. And then, after all that, it looks so much better!
0406150011.jpg

So, I let the keys dry sufficiently, then started reassembling everything. The previous photos were very helpful in showing me how the QWERTY layout is placed...
0406150151b.jpg

I started with the easy buttons like the ones that had metal bits, then the Function and Number keys.
0407150001e.jpg

Aaaand here is the result: Clean, clackity and connected back to my computer!
(And yes, just because I still ate a pot of soup in front of the freshly cleaned keyboard, never did I deny ever being a hypocrite.)
Hope that was a good change to the usual Blog a la Bitch-about-spam-and-nobody-being-online-zomg-leaving-T9k-bai I've been seeing served. Enjoy!
Erhnurgurd_0d7ce6_4040085.jpg

wow, I've clean Atari's, colecovision, intellivision, Nes/SNES dino pc and even a cellphone and Haven't cleaned my own keyboard! Holy Ozy.... I'm like the rabbit from winne the pooh o.o

Back