The Official T9K Pokemon League

So, I'm completely uneducated when it comes to Pokemon, but I played it a lot as a kid. I'm kinda interested in joining but I probably won't have a 2ds/3ds until September or December, depending on if any of my family can actually hunker down and buy me something worth over 100$ for my birthday/christmas.
What I'd like to know is, can a completely inexperienced but interested person join and can I join even though I'm yet to own a 2ds/3ds?
Btw if I don't get it as a gift I'm just buying one myself, so either way I'm buying one and a pokemon game.

So, I'm completely uneducated when it comes to Pokemon, but I played it a lot as a kid. I'm kinda interested in joining but I probably won't have a 2ds/3ds until September or December, depending on if any of my family can actually hunker down and buy me something worth over 100$ for my birthday/christmas.
What I'd like to know is, can a completely inexperienced but interested person join and can I join even though I'm yet to own a 2ds/3ds?
Btw if I don't get it as a gift I'm just buying one myself, so either way I'm buying one and a pokemon game.
Yes, and yes. There are plenty of people here, myself included, who don't own a 3DS, and would be happy to help you if you have any questions about certain things in the game. :D

Novices are welcome, much like what Chiba said. I can't speak for all, but I'm sure most of us would be happy to help any way we can.

You could always start out as a challenger, or better yet, have some practice battles with some of us when the time comes so you can learn the ropes and maybe even a few strategies.

I bet most of us would be willing to have a few quick spars with you if you ask.

Sweet! Then I shall sign up I guess.
I'm kinda versed on how the game works, since I had a friend in highschool who was an absolute pokemon nerd, so I should pick that stuff up quickly.

Name: RedBox [ye]
Type: Electric
Why you want to be a member: I've always been interested in getting into pokemon. I guess now I'm actually getting the effort up to give it a shot.
For kicks (and potential prizes in future), Design a badge/emblem:
OHM100x100.png

Can we have a list of the applicants and their types on the OP?

Here's my application:
Name: Oliver
Type: Rock
Why: Rock types seem to best fit my battle-style of overwhelming brute force. I've been playing since Gen I and have never really made a truly competitive team. I think I like the challenge of sticking to just one type as a leader and making something that is truly formidable to fight against. Hopefully the rest of you will be doing the same and we'll all improve as battlers.
Badge:
Summit Badge (Image to be added soon)

Can we have a list of the applicants and their types on the OP?
^ I second that. That, and also a list of our FCs so they're all in one place for applicants to add each other ahead of time. That way we don't have to exchange before our matches and potentially delay things. Just a thought. :)
But yes, definitely the OP thing. It would be nice to have a readily accessible list of what types have already been registered for, so others who potentially want to be a League member can see if they'd be having competition for the type they want.

Also, it's great to be seeing some new applicants! I've been secretly hyped for this ever since Zen told me about it last year (it was actually one of my secret reasons for joining up here, but don't tell anyone I said that, shhh), so seeing more people signing on for this makes me happy~ < 3

^ I second that. That, and also a list of our FCs so they're all in one place for applicants to add each other ahead of time. That way we don't have to exchange before our matches and potentially delay things. Just a thought. :)
But yes, definitely the OP thing. It would be nice to have a readily accessible list of what types have already been registered for, so others who potentially want to be a League member can see if they'd be having competition for the type they want.

Also, it's great to be seeing some new applicants! I've been secretly hyped for this ever since Zen told me about it last year (it was actually one of my secret reasons for joining up here, but don't tell anyone I said that, shhh), so seeing more people signing on for this makes me happy~ < 3

We've got a general-topic Pokémon thread here, as well as a 3DS Friend Code thread here. Maybe at the very least we can have links to those threads in the OP to try and keep this thread from getting muddled in talk about Pokémon, and this thread can be kept strictly for talk about the T9k League.

By my very informal count, I believe we have Gym Leaders for the following types: Steel, Fire, Ghost, Flying, Water, Rock, Electric, and Dark (8). That's a pretty cool start, if you ask me, and I'm getting excited already.

And just to be certain: due to the type clause, Protean Greninja is banned from Gym Leader teams, yes?

By my very informal count, I believe we have Gym Leaders for the following types: Steel, Fire, Ghost, Flying, Water, Rock, Electric, and Dark (8). That's a pretty cool start, if you ask me, and I'm getting excited already.

And just to be certain: due to the type clause, Protean Greninja is banned from Gym Leader teams, yes?
I personally think it should. I'm choosing not to use Protean Greninja on a Water team even if it is allowed, just because it feels like cheating to me. I'd use Torrent instead, if I decide to use Greninja at all.

But that's me. If Dark wants to do it differently (providing it's allowed of course), then that's your choice. =P

You two scare me the most so far... But my only hope is that all 3 of us aren't experienced in making and battling competitive teams. :cautious:
TBH, I was going to apply for electric today, but RedBox beat me to it. Since there are other types still available, I'll pick something else. I don't have experience in competitive battling, just getting beat on by my brother. Once I start working on my team, I'm going to start battling strangers online and tweak it for the League.

I've been asked this. Pokemon that start as the type, but change due to their moves or ability are up in the air. Kecleon, Ditto, and Protean Greninja all can, but I'm not sure if it warrants a ban.

OP is currently being updated.

EDIT: OP has been updated.

1. Name: Crane
2. Type: Bidoof
3. Why you want to be a member: Because I seriously want to own people with my team of level 100 Bidoofs.
4. For kicks (and potential prizes in future), Design a badge/emblem. Make it no bigger than 100x100 pixels. Get creative. Name it. Be proud of it.
View attachment 143792 The Doof badge.
If I change my Type to "Normal" will you take me seriously?

Back