Traffic Tickets?

Briggs

Ever gotten a ticket? Want to post pictures of cops and other cop related stuff? Here ya go. I decided to post this because of the story below.

So I get home from work today, look in my email, and I see I got a traffic ticket. From who? The NYPD, and the department of motor vehicles from NY. Now, I have never driven in NY. Also, the ticket is from the email address of infoc@nypolce

I really have no clue why they misspelled police wrong, and sent me a ticket when I have never driven in new york. Oh, and they said to send the ticket to town court, Chatan Hall.... They misspelled Cathan Hall. I really believe this to be a phising email, anyone shed any light on this?

Oh, and sorry for this to be all over the place, I am really tired and brain dead from doing a lot of school at 11pm after 7 hours of work.

Ever gotten a ticket? Want to post pictures of cops and other cop related stuff? Here ya go. I decided to post this because of the story below.

So I get home from work today, look in my email, and I see I got a traffic ticket. From who? The NYPD, and the department of motor vehicles from NY. Now, I have never driven in NY. Also, the ticket is from the email address of infoc@nypolce

I really have no clue why they misspelled police wrong, and sent me a ticket when I have never driven in new york. Oh, and they said to send the ticket to town court, Chatan Hall.... They misspelled Cathan Hall. I really believe this to be a phising email, anyone shed any light on this?

Oh, and sorry for this to be all over the place, I am really tired and brain dead from doing a lot of school at 11pm after 7 hours of work.

Definitely sounds like a phishing scam. Way too many misspellings.

First off, I don't know how things work in NY, but I don't recall giving my e-mail address as primary contact information to the DMV. And for such important notices like traffic citations, I'd expect the DMV to use a more formal service, like U.S. mail.

Second, traffic citations should come with the following information: The citation number; the make, color, and type of your vehicle (ex. White Ford truck); the license plate number (with the State and registration tags); the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); and the violation code and description of violation. If any of this information is missing, the citation is highly suspect.

Third, traffic citations are given in two ways: an officer pulls you over and tickets you, or a traffic enforcement camera snaps you. Now I'm pretty sure you'd remember a cop pulling you over, so forget the first thing. For the second thing, photo evidence of your vehicle committing the illegal traffic movement has to be shown - otherwise there is no violation.

If you have any doubts, you can still call the NYPD or NYDMV. More information on the contents of the e-mail and the e-mail's subject title would help me figure out if it's a phony, but I'm pretty damn sure it's not authentic from what you have said.

Just look up the phone number for the NYPD and give them a call. Even if this is a phishing scam, you still need to notify the authorities about it, and what better way then to tell the people these douche bags are posing as.

Back