• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Well this sucks...

bobtheawesomeone

Hello all and welcome to my blogedy blog!

So I am in my schools production of the Music Man. I take the roll of the bass in the quartet. It's been great and the other three people in the quartet have become some of my closest friends. I love it too!

You may be wondering why this sucks... well i will explain.

The show opens tonight! yesterday was our final dress rehearsal with an actual audience. Now I don't get nervous for things like this, but I was ridiculously nervous! The reason why? I woke up that morning with literally no voice or ability to sing. I hurried and started all things possible to regain my voice in a 3 hour period, seeing as the dress rehearsal was during school. I was able to get it back to a point where i could sing my part and I ended up getting something our drama teacher does at the end of each show. I was awarded one of three MVP's of the show.

Well this morning I wake up and it's even worse than before. I still can't talk, I have about a one note range, and the show is in less than 12 hours... I'm getting really nervous and I am scared that the worst will happen.

It would be really helpful for some more tricks to get my voice back! like NOW!!!

Thank you all for reading another blogedy blog by yours truely... Bob :D

few home remedies.
1. keep talking to a minimum and if you must talk, talk softly, but do not whisper as whispering can put further strain your vocal cords.
2. gargle with warm salt water, but do not gargle too hard as it can cause further strain.
3. drink warm tea with honey and lemon.
4. lozenges with glycerin can sometimes help bring back moisture to your throat.
5. wear a scarf or turtleneck or something to keep your throat warm in combination with the above methods.
6. keep a bottle of lukewarm water or juice with you and sip from it constantly. (this is said to be the absolute best method)

hope that helps a bit.

It sounds to me like you're nervous, and that is the cause of you losing your voice. Try to relax and don't think about it and it may recover. When my grandmother died, my mother (her duaghter) was so stressed she lost her voice for about a week. She thought it was strep and went to the doctor and he told her it was caused by stress, and not an infection.

I had the same problem in my school's production of Legally Blonde last week. My advice is to avoid talking as much as possible, drink some warm tea with honey, and maybe take a hot shower before you leave. If at all possible, keep a water bottle backstage.

ok, speaking as a stage tech, drink lots of water before going to bed, keep sugar and salty drinks to a minimum. Make sure you sleep somewhere that isn't too cold, and with no air con. If its too dry where you sleep, you will lose all the fluid you put in. also godlib makes some great points.

hahaha thanks guys. i don't know how it happend, but i got through the entire run of the show perfectly. i didn't have a voice, but when i needed it, it was there.

Back