What is the purpose in life?

What is the purpose in life? Why do you believe what you believe?

One: serenity was an awesome movie
Two: When I came to this thread and clicked your name I saw this and laughed. The people who have seen the movie will get it.
meow.jpg

Three: the biological meaning of life is to spread your genes and survive, living things are low entropy things surrounded by high entropy, I cannot speculate why this happened, in the end the second law of thermodynamics will prevail, and molecular organization will be harder and harder, I wonder if life will be possible then (on a scale of billions and trillions(if that is possible) of years).

My meaning of life is to be satisfied with my life, and helping others is generally a good way to go. Whether it be by creating art, being part of a community (wink wink), or loving someone. Humans are good at complicating things. It is also important to be respectful to non living things as well, as they support life. Generally treat all things in life the way you would want to be treated, computers, books, living things, and most importantly our planet. If you don't like a place, you can move, if you don't like your planet, you are out of luck.

what we are here for and where we came from

We aren't here for anything, if there was a reason, don't you think that would make existence very limiting? Almost like a blueprint for our lives, it is better this way, we are free to do what we want with our sandbox (the universe so far) and come up with our own reasons.

You came from the stars. All elements come from nuclear fusion. Average to small stars like our sun will fuse hydrogen into helium. There will also be some synthesis of carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. The very massive stars have pressures great enough that heavier elements can be formed. Iron is the heaviest element that can be formed in main sequence stars. All elements heavier than iron are made during the extreme heat and pressure of supernovae (Thank you to yahoo answers).

As for the whole organization part and life, well there are many theories for that, but for now they are just theories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

fuck bitches, get money.

This is an acceptable approach as well, you wont think about death when you are busy engaging in intercourse and receiving fiat currency.

Two: When I came to this thread and clicked your name I saw this and laughed. The people who have seen the movie will get it.
View attachment 79765

Three: the biological meaning of life is to spread your genes and survive, living things are low entropy things surrounded by high entropy, I cannot speculate why this happened, in the end the second law of thermodynamics will prevail, and molecular organization will be harder and harder, I wonder if life will be possible then (on a scale of billions and trillions(if that is possible) of years).

My meaning of life is to be satisfied with my life, and helping others is generally a good way to go. Whether it be by creating art, being part of a community (wink wink), or loving someone. Humans are good at complicating things. It is also important to be respectful to non living things as well, as they support life. Generally treat all things in life the way you would want to be treated, computers, books, living things, and most importantly our planet. If you don't like a place, you can move, if you don't like your planet, you are out of luck.
What ever happened to movies like Hitch hikers guide - oh thats right it was one of a kind
molecular organization will be harder and harder
giggity

just the fact that nobody knows what happens, and what we are here for and where we came from... it keeps me up at night
So it's the fear of the unknown that frightens you? Do you believe there is an absolute truth regarding where we go after we die?

View attachment 79765

One: I completely agree. ;)
Two: Well played. :p
Three: So self-satisfaction should be our goals in life? Is there another purpose to our lives outside of what we naturally desire?

We aren't here for anything, if there was a reason, don't you think that would make existence very limiting? Almost like a blueprint for our lives, it is better this way, we are free to do what we want with our sandbox (the universe so far) and come up with our own reasons.

You came from the stars. All elements come from nuclear fusion. Average to small stars like our sun will fuse hydrogen into helium. There will also be some synthesis of carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. The very massive stars have pressures great enough that heavier elements can be formed. Iron is the heaviest element that can be formed in main sequence stars. All elements heavier than iron are made during the extreme heat and pressure of supernovae (Thank you to yahoo answers).
If life should have no boundaries, should not the universe operate without boundaries as well? If man lives his life according to his own reasoning, and yet (assuming this worldview encompasses the belief of some form of evolution) there are no absolutes to reasoning; no truths; then would not whatever we think, whatever we reason - the very essence of our being even - be completely meaningless and devoid of any significance at all?

So self-satisfaction should be our goals in life? Is there another purpose to our lives outside of what we naturally desire?

Self-satisfaction suggests happiness. Satisfaction does not correlate to happiness, it is a coming to terms with how one's life has played out. Suffering, happiness, pain, love, stress all contribute to satisfaction or no satisfaction, it generally depends on the person. Some might say "leaving a mark" (this can be a negative and positive thing for others) might be a good goal, but there is no set recipe.

There is no real purpose established so far other than the ones created by humans. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it gives us a blank canvas to work with.

be completely meaningless and devoid of any significance at all?

In the grand scale of the universe they are completely meaningless and devoid of any significance. However connecting life and the universe seems pointless, what happened on earth so far has stayed on earth. The universe has rules and boundaries, and they are not affected by humans or life. There is a lot of arrogance when it comes to this topic, people seem to have a hard time coming to terms with this, and maybe we don't have the mental capacity to yet. We can be humbled by the scale and complexity of the universe and use it as inspiration, I see this as a positive way to approach things.

In my mind the meaning of life (apart from 42) is to discover who you are and to go after your goals and dreams. I think that when we die we basically fade away into history and into the foundations of future growth for plants and animals (through decomposition of our bodies).

Back