What is the purpose in life?

Self-satisfaction suggests happiness. Satisfaction does not correlate to happiness, it is a coming to terms with how one's life has played out. Suffering, happiness, pain, love, stress all contribute to satisfaction or no satisfaction, it generally depends on the person. Some might say "leaving a mark" (this can be a negative and positive thing for others) might be a good goal, but there is no set recipe.

There is no real purpose established so far other than the ones created by humans. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as it gives us a blank canvas to work with.

In the grand scale of the universe they are completely meaningless and devoid of any significance. However connecting life and the universe seems pointless, what happened on earth so far has stayed on earth. The universe has rules and boundaries, and they are not affected by humans or life. There is a lot of arrogance when it comes to this topic, people seem to have a hard time coming to terms with this, and maybe we don't have the mental capacity to yet. We can be humbled by the scale and complexity of the universe and use it as inspiration, I see this as a positive way to approach things.

One: So if happiness is what we make it, and happiness is our ultimate goal in life, should we not be allowed to pursue that happiness, whatever it may be, no matter the consequences to others?

Two: How can a blank canvas be good, if anything can be painted upon it? There is no boundaries. If you have an outline for a bigger picture, you know how to follow it though. Yet if you are given a limitless white canvas, there is nothing to follow, because there is no real purpose in life.

Three: You said the universe has rules and boundaries. If they do not come from humans or life, then where do they come from?

Yay Philosophy!

The general idea of a "purpose of life" is a human construct designed to reduce our anxiety as we respond to both our own existence and the existence of nature (the universe). People attribute its manifestation to various worldviews, such as a higher being who they believe dictates how they should live their lives, or in scientific biology where observations of survival and reproduction are made.

We, as homo sapiens, are very unique creatures on this planet. We have the capabilities for abstract thought on a level that not only makes us aware of ourselves, but also allows us to derive meaning from base objects. I cannot begin to describe how profound this is for us. Think about symbols. How is it that a mark which consists of two lines, one longer than the other, crossing perpendicular to each other is associated with the letter "t." Answer: we made it up! Not only that, we are able to understand that it's a letter "t."

It is our ability to think abstractly that allows to think about the nature of our existence. As such, it is also very likely that such a thing was made up as well. Yep, the purpose of life might be fake, but that doesn't mean it's not significant or relevant to us as humans. It's like the phrase "man is the measure of all things." Like rulers and scales, we use the "purpose of life" as a tool to help us cope and survive in the world.

Yay Philosophy!

The general idea of a "purpose of life" is a human construct designed to reduce our anxiety as we respond to both our own existence and the existence of nature (the universe). People attribute its manifestation to various worldviews, such as a higher being who they believe dictates how they should live their lives, or in scientific biology where observations of survival and reproduction are made.

We, as homo sapiens, are very unique creatures on this planet. We have the capabilities for abstract thought on a level that not only makes us aware of ourselves, but also allows us to derive meaning from base objects. I cannot begin to describe how profound this is for us. Think about symbols. How is it that a mark which consists of two lines, one longer than the other, crossing perpendicular to each other is associated with the letter "t." Answer: we made it up! Not only that, we are able to understand that it's a letter "t."

It is our ability to think abstractly that allows to think about the nature of our existence. As such, it is also very likely that such a thing was made up as well. Yep, the purpose of life might be fake, but that doesn't mean it's not significant or relevant to us as humans. It's like the phrase "man is the measure of all things." Like rulers and scales, we use the "purpose of life" as a tool to help us cope and survive in the world.

Without purpose, there is no significance. Without an ultimate purpose - an ultimate truth - one that is not opinionated from one man to the other, there is no meaning in life. And if there is no meaning to life, there can not be order, because you cannot have order without purpose. And if there is no order in this universe, everything was made from a chaotic beginning. Yet then than brings us back to today: we live under laws that bind the universe, boundaries we can measure, and distances vast yet still finite. If there is any order in the universe at all, that must mean the beginning of the universe was in order. And order can only from some form of intelligence.

Speaking of intelligence, how is man the only creature in the entire world which thinks abstractly of itself? Certainly this cannot be evolutionary - because if our search for "purpose" was simply evolved to help us cope with anxiety, would it not be better to not have any knowledge of a greater purpose - thereby eliminating any anxiety that would come from a feeling of insignificance in the first place? Think of the animals of the earth. They do not worry about their future lives. Yet mankind does. If our search for "purpose" is merely illusionary, then why does man still struggle with the morals of reality?

the purpose - to make the best of it, to spend it doing whatever the fuck you want to do with it and not living it enslaved under someone (not just talking about prison, that also means jobs where people spend years just to make the few extra bucks for a new kitchen table, which is pathetic)

also to the 2 previous posts TLDR!

Serenity595 said:
So it's the fear of the unknown that frightens you? Do you believe there is an absolute truth regarding where we go after we die?

One: I completely agree. ;)
Two: Well played. :p
Three: So self-satisfaction should be our goals in life? Is there another purpose to our lives outside of what we naturally desire?

generally.. yes

the purpose - to make the best of it, to spend it doing whatever the fuck you want to do with it and not living it enslaved under someone (not just talking about prison, that also means jobs where people spend years just to make the few extra bucks for a new kitchen table, which is pathetic)

also to the 2 previous posts TLDR!
So if the purpose of life is freedom to pursue happiness, should we not be allowed to pursue that happiness, whatever it may be, no matter the consequences to others?

Also, I would appreciate if you had the time to read this topic more thoroughly... so you have a better overview of the discussion at hand. :)

As a Christian I believe the purpose of life is to please God himself with whatever represents him best. Obey him and bring people to him.

As a Christian I believe the purpose of life is to please God himself with whatever represents him best. Obey him and bring people to him.
I used to believe this. Then I grew up and realized I didn't have to believe in a religion and realized I was forced to believe in something I didn't believe in.

I used to believe this. Then I grew up and realized I didn't have to believe in a religion and realized I was forced to believe in something I didn't believe in.
I'm not forced to though. A loooong time ago I asked my mother how we knew God was real and we should devote our life to him. Sghe said "We don't know, it's your decision" and to this day i'm still a Christian, and will stay that way.

Without purpose, there is no significance. Without an ultimate purpose - an ultimate truth - one that is not opinionated from one man to the other, there is no meaning in life. And if there is no meaning to life, there can not be order, because you cannot have order without purpose. And if there is no order in this universe, everything was made from a chaotic beginning. Yet then than brings us back to today: we live under laws that bind the universe, boundaries we can measure, and distances vast yet still finite. If there is any order in the universe at all, that must mean the beginning of the universe was in order. And order can only from some form of intelligence.

Speaking of intelligence, how is man the only creature in the entire world which thinks abstractly of itself? Certainly this cannot be evolutionary - because if our search for "purpose" was simply evolved to help us cope with anxiety, would it not be better to not have any knowledge of a greater purpose - thereby eliminating any anxiety that would come from a feeling of insignificance in the first place? Think of the animals of the earth. They do not worry about their future lives. Yet mankind does. If our search for "purpose" is merely illusionary, then why does man still struggle with the morals of reality?

Your first paragraph is really vague. I cannot follow your logic because you base your argument on an array of postulates that I have a hard time understanding. What is the correlation between "truth" and "meaning?" What is the correlation between "meaning" and "order?" Why can't you have "order" without "purpose?" What if the universe really is just chaos and we just live in the more entropic corner of it? Where are you going with this reasoning?

Approaching your first paragraph from a different perspective, you confirm what I had said previously in a way. Look at all those terms you used: purpose, order, truth, meaning, law. They are all human constructs. You want to believe in a higher order because that is how you explain your world; it is your worldview. Here I come along and say, "well maybe these things really don't exist," and you retaliate. You say, "No, no, they must exist." I introduce stress, so you hold firmly to your beliefs because that is how you cope. You use purpose as a tool to reduce anxiety.

Abstract thought is actually selectively advantageous. It is what allowed early humans to conceive of physical tools, such as knifes and weapons. These tools are extensions of our bodies, and our ability to improve on these tools far outpaces evolution. This is why we are at the top in this world. If a human without abstract thought were to face off against the wooly mammoth, mammoth would win every time. Introduce some creative thinking, and human makes a bow and arrow. Human shoots mammoth from a distance, mammoth writhes while trying to figure out what hit him. Mammoth collapses from exhaustion and blood loss while human moves in for the kill. Abstract thought is our blessing and our curse. As a side effect, we start thinking about our existences. Why were we put in this harsh world? Is there a reason? Humans plague themselves with issues that they create, and in order to deal with these issues, they make up more things: order, meaning, truth, law. We are very silly creatures.

I'm not forced to though. A loooong time ago I asked my mother how we knew God was real and we should devote our life to him. Sghe said "We don't know, it's your decision" and to this day i'm still a Christian, and will stay that way.
Still I am not atheist but I am looking at a logical reason to everything until some guy breaks out the clouds and takes everyone that annoys me with there religious rants off of this planet and then I will enjoy 3 years of chaos and then I will probably die from a nuclear war attack.

yeah....that sounds like a good life.

You aren't forced to believe in anything. The basics of humanity is our freewill to make decisions that animals don't have the capability to.

However, think about this:

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C.S. Lewis

Something to consider, I guess.

"Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"
This is our purpose in life.
How can there be a purpose without reason?

Your first paragraph is really vague. I cannot follow your logic because you base your argument on an array of postulates that I have a hard time understanding. What is the correlation between "truth" and "meaning?" What is the correlation between "meaning" and "order?" Why can't you have "order" without "purpose?" What if the universe really is just chaos and we just live in the more entropic corner of it? Where are you going with this reasoning?

Approaching your first paragraph from a different perspective, you confirm what I had said previously in a way. Look at all those terms you used: purpose, order, truth, meaning, law. They are all human constructs. You want to believe in a higher order because that is how you explain your world; it is your worldview. Here I come along and say, "well maybe these things really don't exist," and you retaliate. You say, "No, no, they must exist." I introduce stress, so you hold firmly to your beliefs because that is how you cope. You use purpose as a tool to reduce anxiety.

Abstract thought is actually selectively advantageous. It is what allowed early humans to conceive of physical tools, such as knifes and weapons. These tools are extensions of our bodies, and our ability to improve on these tools far outpaces evolution. This is why we are at the top in this world. If a human without abstract thought were to face off against the wooly mammoth, mammoth would win every time. Introduce some creative thinking, and human makes a bow and arrow. Human shoots mammoth from a distance, mammoth writhes while trying to figure out what hit him. Mammoth collapses from exhaustion and blood loss while human moves in for the kill. Abstract thought is our blessing and our curse. As a side effect, we start thinking about our existences. Why were we put in this harsh world? Is there a reason? Humans plague themselves with issues that they create, and in order to deal with these issues, they make up more things: order, meaning, truth, law. We are very silly creatures.

First, how can there be order in chaos? We can't simply be lucky enough to live in an orderly world. As I said before, if there is ANY order in the universe whatsoever, SOME form of order was required in order to create it. Chaos does not create order. However, order can turn into chaos (just a side note).

Secondly, how can you be sure they are human constructs - purpose, order, truth, meaning, and law? They are terms in our English language of course, yes. And they are given human definitions as well. But the basic concepts of these terms - can you say with absolutely certainty they are simply man made? Let's look at one of them, shall we? How about law? Alright, man has laws and a judicial system. Men are told to abide by these laws to benefit society. However, what about our conscience? A conscience is something no other animal has. We feel good and bad when we do different things. But why? I can see an answer you might reply with: that this "conscience" of morals evolved so that all of society would benefit - things like don't kill or steal. It seems logical. But that doesn't explain at all why we feel bad about things that don't directly harm others. Or how about our moral code? Why does ALL of mankind have the same moral values? Why aren't there flukes? Why aren't there people who have complete disregard for human life? There has never been a single exception to this rule because those who do kill people or steal things are only suppressing their conscience. For example, if someone stole a piece of candy, it was most likely because they wanted it. In their minds that person thought,"well, the ends justifies the means". It was worth it to steal that candy because they could taste its sweet flavor. Yet many times with similar moral values, that feelings turns bittersweet and deep down we know it's wrong. But why?

Also, yes, this is my worldview. It's how I interpret what I see. Two men can look at painting and see completely different abstract ideals hidden in it. It's their interpretation of what they see. I'm trying to look at this from a logical perspective - to put meaning to a seemingly meaningless world. I am not the only one holding to my beliefs here - you are as well. I propose that the world has an ultimate purpose outside of ourselves and you respectfully disagree. But we all have our worldviews. The main question I'm asking here is: is their an ultimate purpose that is outside of mankind's opinions? I am not using purpose as a tool to reduce anxiety; for if it was merely that I would be both delusional and be chasing something that is not real. And if that were the case, there sure has been billions of people with the same disorder as me. Is this just a coincidence or are we all a major mistake?

Thirdly, so are you saying abstract thought about things outside of our physical universe is simply a bad side effect? Can you be sure? Or is this explanation actually a way to cope with anxiety, so man does not have to deal with morals, because morals are what we make it right? We don't want others to judge us - we want to feel like good people. So isn't it only natural that we all at least at some point in our lives reject the notion of there being a higher form of intelligence - that is perfect in all aspects of morals - that we must be accountable to?

Still I am not atheist but I am looking at a logical reason to everything until some guy breaks out the clouds and takes everyone that annoys me with there religious rants off of this planet and then I will enjoy 3 years of chaos and then I will probably die from a nuclear war attack.

yeah....that sounds like a good life.
Logic is good. So let's think about this logically. First, do you believe the universe was created by order or chaos? If it was created by chaos (as with say, evolution), how can this then create order (human beings, for example)? How is that logical? Order can turn into chaos because chaos is the derogation of order, kind of like evil is only the absence of good. One must come before the other. The big question is: which came first? Chaos? Or order?

Do you guys think it is a coincidence that most of the elite geniuses and philosophers in history were atheist? I don't...

Logic is good. So let's think about this logically. First, do you believe the universe was created by order or chaos? If it was created by chaos (as with say, evolution), how can this then create order (human beings, for example)? How is that logical? Order can turn into chaos because chaos is the derogation of order, kind of like evil is only the absence of good. One must come before the other. The big question is: which came first? Chaos? Or order?
Since I to find the big bang hard to believe I go by the Family Guy theory.

Ok I know the whole Christians think a wizard created it, but the big bang theory is just fucking retarded. Seriously, "We believe that a rnadom explosion happened and formed a planet fit for humans that hasn't existed in the universe in trillions of years" Really?

Ok I know the whole Christians think a wizard created it, but the big bang theory is just fucking retarded. Seriously, "We believe that a rnadom explosion happened and formed a planet fit for humans that hasn't existed in the universe in trillions of years" Really?
Who honestly really knows?
I do however like the idea futurama had.
Futurama made up the idea that the universe of time repeats itself. It starts with a big bang and life will go on like it has and at some point in time a giant explosion occurs destroying the universe but causing another universe to be formed and repeating the same cycle of life from the previous universe.

If you understand this ^, bravo.

Do you guys think it is a coincidence that most of the elite geniuses and philosophers in history were atheist? I don't...
Such as who? I would love to know.

Also, how do you define them as elite geniuses and philosophers? Is it because they coincide with your worldviews or with others? The most common and well-accepted idea or principal does not make it absolute truth. Science, for example, is constantly changing. New discoveries are made and textbooks are rewritten. Is it wise to place faith in something that is only based on the physical man-made interpretations of our universe? I'm not saying to reject science; far from it. But to place one's faith (and life) in it is another matter entirely.

Simmer down now, this doesn't need to turn into a religion war.

... that's what r/athiesm is for.

Back