What standards do you hold yourself to?

Mightythedj23

Back in the IRL pics thread, Moondoggy raised a point that caught my attention; the point about standards. He made a point about the high standards he holds himself to; And i i know people everywhere have a set of standards they hold themselves to; whether they are aware of them or not; But not just their personal standards, but the ones they hold for family, friends, significant others, fish, whatever.

To kick this off, i'll list my standards :D

For Myself:

I always maintain 2 social formalities: i.e. when the situation calls for it, i am a very polite/respectful/serious person, and when it's not a serious situation, i am hyper, impulsive, etc..

I try to to the most required work when someone assigns me a task: If all i have to do is split and stack wood, or just organize a stack of books, but i could, if i would like to do additional work, i most likely won't do any additional work.

However, when people tell me to do something, 9/10 times i don't because i do not enjoy being forced to do something. But if they just let me know/leave a list of things to do (not necessarily by me) i will probably do all of it.

I try to be as open to music as possible; to Me, if you're a "fan of music" you have to know, listen to, and understand each genre; doesn't mean you have to listen to every genre all the time, just at least know/respect the other genres.

I also try to be Impartial/unbiased in arguments and such, because there always needs to be that "moderator" or Viewpoint.

For my Relationships: I like to be who i am, and do what i want with some restraints; Yes, i will hug any of my friends that happen to be girls in front of you; it means nothing, it's just a hug. i'm a Hugging Person.

You'll have to get used to my hyper-ness and such, but, when i say i love you, i mean it.

On that note; if you let me be myself and do /almost/ anything as i would usually do, you will get nothing but care and affection from me.

Work: Hey, all i'm saying about this is, if i can't wear Sandals and khakis, then i might as well live with the fact i don't have to tuck in my shirt.

I'll probably post more about my standards as this thread progresses, but what about you T9K? what are your standards?

I will reply and say that the standards for myself are

Work , my standards for work is you see something that needs to be done do it no need to be told, it also allows me to get more time to play.

My faith I will hold to but I am not going to have it thrown in peoples faces just like I would not want to have it shoved in mine people can discuss faith/religion and I would join a conversation but am not going to judge them for having a different belief than me

With relationships I believe I do not need to be in one at this moment

and if you have a problem with me and my beliefs then I will accept that point even if I disagree

p.s. Nice thread Mighty

One of my major flaws is the lack of standards I have for myself. I have a pretty bleak outlook on the world around me, something like that of a wise old man that was bludgeoned with a base ball bat. So I don't really try to do anything now-a-days. I know it's destroying me in school and such, but I'm having difficulty changing that.

But I guess I do have a couple of things that I'd like to think I follow.

Friends: Take your arguments with a grain of salt. I'm not one to argue over pointless things, because if I want to ruin a friendship, it better be something substantial. Also I like to believe that I'm willing to help my friends with things. If someone needs me/wants me to do something, I'll generally try my best to drop everything and help them. Even if it's something silly like them just wanting to run a game or something.

Work: I haven't had a real job yet, but generally when I'm being paid to do something, I'll do it to the best of my ability. I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it. I'd like to think I'm an efficient person, and doing it wrong due to arrogance and "knowitall" outlook would be a waste of time.

Appearance: I generally try to keep my hair combed, face washed, etc. etc. But when it comes to clothes, I generally just throw something on that "MIGHT" match due to my OCD. If I'm going somewhere formal, yes, I'll do my best to look nice, and yes I can tie a tie. :L

To be frank, I'm somewhat of a loner and a pessimist to boot and if I've learnt anything from my observations of society and those around me, adhering to the standards of society and those around you gets you nowhere. Thus I care nothing for my appearance and what others think of it nor do I tell others what they like to hear when posed with a question. In regards to friends, considering I'm in high school and my "friends" are for the most part people who've been forced upon me due to having one or two common interests, I treat them the same way as everyone else, albeit I'm a bit more tolerant with them than others. I don't believe in forcing my ideals on others but I'm not afraid to contest another's ideals when they're trying to force them upon me.

In short, I'm a pessimist and slightly narcissistic, care little for my personal appearance and what others think of it, am brutally honest with others and will remain steadfast in my ideals even when faced with adversity.

Standards? Oh goodness where do I begin?

Friends:
There all "types" of friends that I have. There are the serious ones, the ones that are complete asshats, and the ones I can trust without a second thought. I usually meet them through my brother or by my own means such as gaming or awkward conversations in the chat in said gaming. I'm a loud boisterous individual who is not liked by some, and well liked by others I have a small amount of friends, both online and offline, but each one of them can be considered family. I'm also a "fixer" so if anyone has any sort of problem, I usually dig into their business and try to figure out that I can help. 99% of the time I end up digging up a problem and get them to talk about it, and it usually makes them a better person. They become more social, more talkative, etc.

I like being in a conversation of nearly any sort, but if I don't hear from someone in a couple of weeks, I have a tendency to unfriend them. I like friends who are active, both online and offline.
^TL;DR, Have all sorts of friends, but few of them. Few = more like family.

Relationships:
My relationships are always 6+ months, no matter the person. My current relationship is going on 9 months in 10 days, and truth be told I don't think I can be happier.
Needless to say I need to be compatible to the individual. They have to be honest with me. If something happens, something happens, and I would prefer being told about it sooner than later. I do not put up with cheating whatsoever, for if I cannot trust you to be faithful, what else are you hiding? I am not above online or long distance relationships. The one I am in currently is both online and long distance, and I have been saving up to go see him. Trust is one of the most important parts for me, and I think it really should be for any relationship. If you cannot trust me around my friends, then we have no business being together. I have a mild tendancy to be mildly pushy and in their face if I don't get an answer as quickly as I want.
I'm also very sensitive despite being pushy, but I do not take things personally. My current boyfriend also understands that I forgive easily (more easily than I really should) and I try to see the brighter side of things. If there is an apology that is well written and genuine, 90% of the time I will forgive you, as long as I understand the situation at hand. I am a sucker for good conversation, as well as honest opinions and the like.

alsodon'tplayskyrimsomuchbecauseigetlonely

^ TL;Dr:
Don't cheat on me. Seriously, it's an asshole move. Be honest with me. Seriously, be honest. The majority of the time I will not be hurt by honesty. If something's up, tell me. Communication is important. Do it obviously. Videogames aren't everything. It's great that you're into them, but I would like to be involved to, if you wouldn't mind. c:

Welp, there you go.

Myself?
Be kind, honest, not-so-judging. If you're on my bad side, there's a legitimate reason why.

:3

The standards that I uphold are, in essence, pretty high. To elaborate, when I chat in real life or even in-game stuff, I like to make sure that the point I try to address is clear to others and not so complicated. I do not reason with chatting out of intent unless it's to fool around when I'm bored or when the time calls for it. Honestly, I generally like to chat with purpose. Not to say that I'm serious when I do talk, but being prompt and concise about jokes, discussions, or questions. On the matter of close friends, family, and philosophical issue are a totally different matter with me though, but I digress. Because of my straightforward attitude, I tend to generally refer myself shy IRL and like I said, in-game too.

As for my appearance, I think it is really important to always look sharp in what you're wearing. Like Vors said, being badly dressed is intolerable and there should be no excuse for it. If I were allowed to wear sharp clothing wherever I go rather than a shirt and jeans, then I would. Dressing lazily will certainly not get me anywhere imo. Most likely, when I get older, I'll wear clothing befitting to these standards; albeit, I am not a lazy dresser. If I wear jeans and a shirt, I make sure that there are no holes or anything unmatching. To put simple, I dress symmetrically. So, no matter what you wear, I think it is important to dress with how well you do it.

Going into relationships, I like to be social and interact around the people I am slightly familiar with or other than that, I'm really not the approaching type. With close friends, I can be somewhat crazy and stupid. So, not much effort can go into saying of what standards can go into building relationships with people other than be kind, considerate, and frank. Don't be self-centered and talk about yourself and push away your friends with your problems. Make sure you greet them with open arms(meaning make people feel special in greeting them, I'm not the hugging type, sorreh mighteh xP) and acknowledge their presence and listen to them when they have things to say first. When problems arise between me and a friend or friends of mine against another friend, I like to approach these situations in a neutral way. But it's generally good to be unbiased as you said it yourself mighty.

I can almost say the same thing about strangers. When greeting them, no matter who they are and what attitude you have on, greet them with an honest heart because you never know if they're having a bad day and maybe it'll cheer that person up if you do. If it doesn't and they just act like sheer assholes with you, just ignore them, leave, and move on with life.

Since I'm still unemployed, I'd say labor is fairly important. Basically, do good deeds for other people when they need things done. I regularly do some work for my relatives and it makes me feel good at the end to have accomplished something for others even if while I'm currently doing the job sucks.

Well, these are my major standards. Food is another story. Also, kudos to you, mighty, for this thread. This really helps to get to know our community more and such :D

I like this, good notion. +5 for Mighty

Personal:
As far as appearance, I keep my facial hair under 1 inch in length, Flannel makes a man, and a belt is never inappropriate.
I don't do drugs/alcohol/tobacco anything that impairs my judgement or makes me smell.
I try to talk/type properly and I take education very seriously.
Trying to improve my work ethic, it barely exists.
I keep my surroundings (House/room) very clean and organized.

Romance:
Never been romantically involved but I do have a set of rules
Have to generally have my same standards above, be clean, intelligent, although I'd rather their beard be nonexistent instead of 1 inch.
No tattoos/piercings (Sorry if that offends anyone, I just don't like them. I'll never have them either)
Respect me as much as I respect you.
I don't expect you to take my shit but I will probably take yours.

Work:
Yuck

Edit: As a summary of myself, I tend to be harshly judgmental by default. While I try not to act on judgments, I like my friends, family, surroundings etc. to be fairly calm/boring/uneventful/drab etc. I don't like surprises and I won't date someone who is too showy or vivacious. I want a relationship where I can fall asleep on the couch and my girlfriend will watch TV or fall asleep on the other couch with no questions, no complaints and vice versa.

I like outdoor work. There's no standard of dress, you usually don't have to interact with others, in the US you don't have to be a certain age, and I find it more fun than being stuck in a building. You use your physical strength almost exclusively when you work on a farm or landscaping, you just have to know what you're going to do to fix a problem.

I haven't worn non-leather shoes since I was 15. Leather shoe fit any occasion. A nice pair of gray/brown loafer type shoes are suitable for school, work, hiking, church, loafing or whatever you have to do. I own multiple suits for religious purposes and there's nothing like looking at yourself in the mirror wearing a suit, and proceeding to fap to your own image.

Haircuts are nice. Get one.

I believe you were going for the "Indiscriminate or casual" definition but the one largely in use is being sexually loose.
Yes, the word is in fact in use for sexual references nowadays, though I caught you're small rhyme a bit too funny to not be mentioned at the end there whether you were going for it or not. Pretty good play on words there.

I can barely deal with most people in person.

That being said, some people I do find of standard to interact with.

People I interact by choice irl have to be:

1. Well dressed, and I mean like- as well as money can buy- dressed.
2. Well read.
3. Under a strict dietary regiment. Not just a 'eating healthy' thing, but they have to be cautious about their weight and body.
4. Well cultured.
5. Well groomed and always as clean as possible.
6. Either be well on their way ( realistically ) towards a well paying career, or be in one already.
7. Generally intelligent and not too stubborn; but at least a slight amount stubborn leading into..
8. Confident. I cannot deal with people who are afraid to speak their mind provided they meet the above criteria.
9. Able to appreciate an effort towards or for the perfection of things. It helps if they have OCD or OCPD.

Whilst I would prefer if the people I took the pleasure of sharing company with met all of the above specifications, I realise that it is unrealistic to hope that any person would have /all/ of the above met. However the more of the above is met by any single person, the more they are exalted by me within the small group of people that I am close to. It should also be noted that I attempt to meet all of my own criteria too.

Furthermore, the above is not limiting to either sex, however when applying to girls I want to either bed or date there are a more specific set of prerequisites that I would like matched;

1. Pale skin.
2. Anglo-Saxon or White cultural background.
3. Must let me buy her presents.
4. Must have personal aspirations outside of her career.
5. Must share an affinity with my general tastes in film, music and food.
6. Must actually take an interest in my life.
7. Must have good skin.

I cannot stress this enough. As Vorsprung mentioned earlier, rolling up those sleeves on a hot day is a turn on for almost any woman. There's just this awkward attractiveness when you can see only the lower arm of a man instead of his full arm. It's expecially attractive if you're French, smoke cigarettes, stab Australians, Russians, Germans, Americans, Scotsmen, and other Frenchmen in the back, set ablaze by an gender-neutral fire-fetishist, or you're into MILFs. Specifically ones that have children who are able to double jump.

Roll up your sleeves, gentlemen. It goes quite a long way for a woman. Facial hair needs to be kept clean or cut, or none at all.

There's an exception to every rule, boys and girls, don't forget that.

I haven't worn non-leather shoes since I was 15. Leather shoe fit any occasion. A nice pair of gray/brown loafer type shoes are suitable for school, work, hiking, church, loafing or whatever you have to do. I own multiple suits for religious purposes and there's nothing like looking at yourself in the mirror wearing a suit, and proceeding to fap to your own image.
I haven't worn non-toe shoes ever since I tried them on for the first time.

One of my only standards, is that I will not go out to run errands in pajamas. It is lazy, sloppy and just tacky. Yes, I will step out into the yard in my jammies, to check the mail, or take out the trash, but you will NOT see me in society like that. I tried it once, went to school in my jammie pants, (on a day that was not Pajama Day) and I hated it. I felt over-exposed and awkward. I simply don't know how people (especially girls for some reason) can walk out of the house in just pajamas and bedroom slippers which are NOT made to withstand the elements or street dirt. I'm not saying people should dress up, and wear hats and shit like in "the good ol' days", but for fuck's sake.
When I go shopping, or to the movies or anything, I wear proper pants and shoes. Even if my jeans are ripped, ripped jeans are much, much better than running around pajamas. However, if the rip is in the butt, or the crotch, or becomes big enough, they go into retirement.
I can dress pretty sloppily, just ask Pixiel, but I have my limits.

But whatever. Those are MY standards. If you want to run around in your pajamas and slippers, by all means go ahead. But by my standards, I do not leave the house without being properly dressed.

(btw, last time I admitted to hating this trend, I got my shit jumped by a bunch of whiny asshats insisting that is was misogynistic to say pj pants are sloppy)

Back