[XBOX360] Question About Gigs

w00tw00

I have a question about the Xbox 360,
Currently I just got a new one and it's 4 gigs, yes 4 gigs .
Looked up gigs for Xbox on GameStop that I can add on and I found a 320 gig hard drive that is $129.99 and I'm looking on buying it,

The major question is that if I buy this hard drive http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-320gb-media-hard-drive/97831 will I get all the gigs it comes with? Nothing will get token out or anything? I would get 320 gigs plus the 4 gig that I have allready? Help? I'm really new to the Xbox 360, add me if you could show me around, dreamwoe .

You would get 360GB in total and would lose all previous data if not transferred with a transfer cable. Most importantly, you should check if the hardrive is built for Xbox Slims or the other models as the hardrives are not compatible with the opposite systems.

I'm pretty sure I could use that hard drive with my Xbox 360. I have the slim and it's black, not the white one . The hard drive itself is black .
For sure I'm getting it .
[1] Xbox hard drive 320 gigs
[1] Transfer cable
In going to buy the hard drive at GameStop new and buy the transfer cable at the Microsoft store at the mall . Thanks everyone! :p
I believe that you will have to transfer everything from the 4 gig drive to the new 320 gig hard drive. Which you can do with this.
You would get 360GB in total and would lose all previous data if not transferred with a transfer cable. Most importantly, you should check if the hardrive is built for Xbox Slims or the other models as the hardrives are not compatible with the opposite systems.

Your current 4 gb of flash memory are built into the console; think of it like a permanent flash drive. Adding a hard drive will obviously give you a lot more storage, and the console will then just treat these as two different storage devices.

The 4G on your console is flash like JHawk said. If you get a new drive, it will be in addition to what you currently have. You could then go to the settings and transfer your saves. You can also set a default storage device I believe.

When playing games from now on, it will ask you where you want to save.

I have never purchased a 360 hard drive. I make my own. 250GB Western Digital Caviar Black in mine ATM.

I agree it's honestly cheaper and better off to go for a hard drive and just put it into the system itself. In all honesty woot if you have one of the old style hard drives
Xbox_360_phat_hard_drives_westingames.jpg
. You can actually install the harddrive into your new system without a transfer cable... I can explain how it's really simple... Actually it's so simple here you go... using a T6 Torx driver remove these four screws
when you open it you'll see these four that require removal as well
FD7B2S9FPQLBZ96.SMALL.jpg
. When you remove it you'll end up with just a standard sata hard drive. Now you've got two options. 1) wrap a piece of tape like a pulling handle on the bottom (the side without the sata connection. 2) Pick up an enclosure like this http://www.fasttech.com/p/1037100-250gb-hard-disk-drive-enclosure-case-for-xbox-360-. From here you're going to insert it into the hard drive bay on your Xbox 360 Slim. Being as this is an already used hard drive you'll have everything on the drive and the drive itself completely accessible. Think plug and play. Now for those of you that don't have this as an option, here's something else that someone has been kind enough to set up an instructable for. http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrading-the-Xbox-360-hard-drive-CHEAP/#step1. Last and not least, enjoy your new space!

Edited for note: I'm not sure why my image upload isn't working, but in any case you should be able to click on the "broken image link" and be directed to the picture itself. If not let me know!

lol ok so I add the "edited for note" and then bam it shows up, either way hope this helps. Any questions shoot me a message or so.

I agree it's honestly cheaper and better off to go for a hard drive and just put it into the system itself. In all honesty woot if you have one of the old style hard drives
. You can actually install the harddrive into your new system without a transfer cable... I can explain how it's really simple... Actually it's so simple here you go... using a T6 Torx driver remove these four screws View attachment 138230 when you open it you'll see these four that require removal as wellView attachment 138231. When you remove it you'll end up with just a standard sata hard drive. Now you've got two options. 1) wrap a piece of tape like a pulling handle on the bottom (the side without the sata connection. 2) Pick up an enclosure like this http://www.fasttech.com/p/1037100-250gb-hard-disk-drive-enclosure-case-for-xbox-360-. From here you're going to insert it into the hard drive bay on your Xbox 360 Slim. Being as this is an already used hard drive you'll have everything on the drive and the drive itself completely accessible. Think plug and play. Now for those of you that don't have this as an option, here's something else that someone has been kind enough to set up an instructable for. http://www.instructables.com/id/Upgrading-the-Xbox-360-hard-drive-CHEAP/#step1. Last and not least, enjoy your new space!

Edited for note: I'm not sure why my image upload isn't working, but in any case you should be able to click on the "broken image link" and be directed to the picture itself. If not let me know!
I'm going to buy the right hard drive for my slim, thanks for the advice!

Back