• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

XHSF: Extreme Hill Super Flat Resurrection Plans

Cheese7710

Hello all! For those who have been following and waiting for the XHSF server, I really do apologize for my long wait. I have had a busy summer and college freshman semester, and I realized the initial starting of the server was a big burden. Plus, an unforeseen circumstance made me unable to even access the XHSF world for a while.

Now, that being said, I have a plan to start this back up. However, before things are set in stone, I would like to know a couple of things:

1. How can I portforward?
I have tried to learn this forever, but I keep failing! GRRR!

2. Would an old, unused computer work as a server?
It's literally just there for me to play the old 3D Pinball and Minesweeper on, so if I could turn it into a server, that'd be great.

3. If my old computer cannot be used as a server, would there be a willing server host?
I would rather run the server myself (I feel like a burden when someone else runs it), but if I cannot run one myself, then I guess this is the only way I can run it.

4. Would someone be willing to teach me how to use plugins?
I had issues with conflicting currency systems between Essentials and Towny and Iconomy (not even sure if they are even supposed to work together, honestly) So if I could get some help with setting permissions, currency, ext. I'd be really grateful.

I will be waiting to start on the world its self until 1.8 versions of some plugins start to emerge, but I would like help to better understand the questions asked above. Hopefully, this superflat world will become real!

1. How can I portforward?
To port forward, all you have to do is access your router and open the port such that it always references your computer and no other device. To do this, you need to set up a static IP on the network for your device. Then you need to deal with any firewalls you may have and add exceptions for that port.

Since you're in college and most likely using the residential internet, you may want to talk to the IT people there since I don't think the process above will completely work.

To port forward, all you have to do is access your router and open the port such that it always references your computer and no other device. To do this, you need to set up a static IP on the network for your device. Then you need to deal with any firewalls you may have and add exceptions for that port.

Since you're in college and most likely using the residential internet, you may want to talk to the IT people there since I don't think the process above will completely work.
Actually, I live at home. It's a 15 minute drive to the college I go to, but there's no rent to pay.

I still am a little confused on terms such as Static IP and opening the router port.

Actually, I live at home. It's a 15 minute drive to the college I go to, but there's no rent to pay.

I still am a little confused on terms such as Static IP and opening the router port.
I assume you have access to the router admin menu. If so, every router is different, but there is usually a port forward menu in there somewhere. You would be best contacting the manufacturer of your router, and having them walk you through it if you can't figure out.

I assume you have access to the router admin menu. If so, every router is different, but there is usually a port forward menu in there somewhere. You would be best contacting the manufacturer of your router, and having them walk you through it if you can't figure out.
Thank you. Now, if my old computer will work, I should be able to get a good start.

You should be able to access your router through your internet browser. Usually something along the lines of:

Or something like that. Looking at your router model online will assist in determining which it is. If it's an AT&T router, it's the first one. Other models use the other varying IPs.

just youtube port forwarding, your router brand and model . Im sure you will find a video with the info your looking for.If you dont have static ip, then u need to sign in to a dns. It will auto ajust your ip every time to log to it

just youtube port forwarding, your router brand and model . Im sure you will find a video with the info your looking for.If you dont have static ip, then u need to sign in to a dns. It will auto ajust your ip every time to log to it
Setting a local static IP is fairly simple and really has no use with a DNS unless you want to assign a name to your public IP address for use by others, which may be a good investment but definitely not necessary for this situation.

Setting a local static IP is fairly simple and really has no use with a DNS unless you want to assign a name to your public IP address for use by others, which may be a good investment but definitely not necessary for this situation.
I'm a little mind blown, but I think I will understand this stuff.

Also, is the router acting as the server, or is it the computer I use? (the way its worded it sounds like the router)

I'm a little mind blown, but I think I will understand this stuff.

Also, is the router acting as the server, or is it the computer I use? (the way its worded it sounds like the router)
Your computer acts as the server. The router makes sure any requests that come to your IP are redirected properly into said computer.

Your computer acts as the server. The router makes sure any requests that come to your IP are redirected properly into said computer.
Ah. I just hope that my old computer can run a good server of up to 20 people.

I really dont want to run it on my laptop

Like this? (this is my laptop, not the old computer I mentioned)
3794264231.png

You're upload speed is a little low to have 20 ppl on it without having a lag fest. The most ppl at that upload speed on you're server would be about 5 . And that is pushing it :(

Well, Bad news. I cannot set up my computer, old or new, for the server. Even if I could, it seems many think that it would be too weak to hold many people. I think the only hope of the superflat survival is if someone else wanted to run it.

I apologize for my failure at this. I guess I'm just not ready for something this powerful...

Back