Youtube Monetization Review Process

I personally have run into major problems with copyright bs in the past. I pretty much quit making videos for a long time due to the fact that I had 2 videos taken down just for the music (both were japanese, fuck sony) and another one would delete the account. But really I feel don't have a problem with people claiming something that rightfully own it. That's fair, they have the rights.
What I hate is when youtubes automatic system, which is flawed beyond all hell, takes down any song in their database that is registered to mute the video if asked so by the content owners, without question. This alone just drives me crazy cause I have a video I spent 2 straight weeks drawing and now all that exists of it is this. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85507241/some anime openingfinal.wmv

And now no one will ever see it cause of some auto bullshit youtube has. I make no money off it and have no original footage, and only made it through parody means but since Sony has youtube by the balls I cant do shit. I even tried to claim it and the whole video ended up getting removed.
I don't much have problem with copyright, I have a problem with automatic copyright and youtubes flawed system.

I personally have run into major problems with copyright bs in the past. I pretty much quit making videos for a long time due to the fact that I had 2 videos taken down just for the music (both were japanese, fuck sony) and another one would delete the account. But really I feel don't have a problem with people claiming something that rightfully own it. That's fair, they have the rights.
What I hate is when youtubes automatic system, which is flawed beyond all hell, takes down any song in their database that is registered to mute the video if asked so by the content owners, without question. This alone just drives me crazy cause I have a video I spent 2 straight weeks drawing and now all that exists of it is this. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85507241/some anime openingfinal.wmv

And now no one will ever see it cause of some auto bullshit youtube has. I make no money off it and have no original footage, and only made it through parody means but since Sony has youtube by the balls I cant do shit. I even tried to claim it and the whole video ended up getting removed.
I don't much have problem with copyright, I have a problem with automatic copyright and youtubes flawed system.

It is your right as a citizen to not use youtube's services if you do not like them. It is youtube's right to remove any video from their private site, no matter who made it or uploaded it. Although you have a right to use copyrighted material for educational, critical or parodical purposes, youtube still has total control over content on its servers. When it comes to any big corporation or producer, youtube will always side with the person/company that earns them the most money, which is always the original producers because they make the content and put it on youtube which then attracts viewers to their site. In other words, youtube will remove any video that a record company or large corporation has a problem with, because it is in their economic interests to do so, without blinking an eye. I almost guarantee you that youtube's auto copyright system is not flawed, but made that way by design for this very reason. They have no economic incentive to support your videos.

Not a bad video, chum.

It is your right as a citizen to not use youtube's services if you do not like them. It is youtube's right to remove any video from their private site, no matter who made it or uploaded it. Although you have a right to use copyrighted material for educational, critical or parodical purposes, youtube still has total control over content on its servers. When it comes to any big corporation or producer, youtube will always side with the person/company that earns them the most money, which is always the original producers because they make the content and put it on youtube which then attracts viewers to their site. In other words, youtube will remove any video that a record company or large corporation has a problem with, because it is in their economic interests to do so, without blinking an eye. I almost guarantee you that youtube's auto copyright system is not flawed, but made that way by design for this very reason. They have no economic incentive to support your videos.
I don't think its flawed in the sense that it does what its supposed to. I think its flawed in the sense that this
youtube will always side with the person/company that earns them the most money,
can contradict this
you have a right to use copyrighted material for educational, critical or parodical purposes,
and be perfectly fine to apply to millions of videos.

you have a right to use copyrighted material for educational, critical or parodical purposes,

Keep in mind that using unaltered music in your "parody video" is not parody. You're just using their music. If you are in fact parodying the music, you can file a dmca counternotice.

Keep in mind that using unaltered music in your "parody video" is not parody. You're just using their music.

Of course not. I don't think anything I said implied otherwise. I didn't watch rsmv's video. I have no idea if his content is actually infringing on copyright laws or not.

If you are in fact parodying the music, you can file a dmca counternotice.

But I insist that it does not matter. Youtube has every right to remove any video they want from their private service. A DMCA Counternotice sounds great, but in reality, even if everything goes in your favor, they are not under any legal obligation to put your video back up on their site.

It says quite directly in their terms of service that "YouTube reserves the right to remove Content without prior notice." It is stated in a way that gives them the right to remove any content at any time from their site if you agree to use their service by uploading content.

Team9000 is no different if I am not mistaken. Right in your very own terms of service, it states that "We reserve the rights to remove or modify any messages posted for any reason." If you were to remove some of my content from this site, I could not successfully sue you in a civil court of law in the United States to have my post put back up. Just a simplified example.

It says quite directly in their terms of service that "YouTube reserves the right to remove Content without prior notice." It is stated in a way that gives them the right to remove any content at any time from their site if you agree to use their service by uploading content.

It's true, but YouTube really is trying its best to allow all uploaded videos that are legal. People who complain about takedowns are honestly using IP that they don't have permission to use, or they don't understand that Youtube makes counternotifications easy.

* Additional note: Do not file a counternotice if you "think" your music is fair use. It's probably not.

It's true, but YouTube really is trying its best to allow all uploaded videos that are legal. People who complain about takedowns are honestly using IP that they don't have permission to use, or they don't understand that Youtube makes counternotifications easy.

* Additional note: Do not file a counternotice if you "think" your music is fair use. It's probably not.

I can agree with this. YouTube is not out to piss everyone off and will likely try their best to get it right, but it is in their economic interest to have an initial stance towards copyright infringement that is extremely loose, as seen by their automated system for removing potential copyright material.

And I will 100% agree with that last statement. Do not file a counternotice unless you are prepared to be sued by the copyright owner and go to court to prove that your use of their content is protected under fair use laws.

Here's a tip: If you're trying to make money off of content that isn't your's, don't be surprised if the company has an issue with it. The best example I can give off the top of my head right now is Nintendo. Nintendo copyrights any video containing Nintendo products, however, rather than getting it taken down or muted, they instead leave it and monetize it for themselves. It makes no difference if you're a partner or not, Youtube and the companies get the say. Now, if you /aren't/ making money, nor providing a link to where people can download said copyrighted material, you'll find the Fair Use act will be much more in your favor. However, remember, Youtube and the companies get the first say. Some will be cool with it as long as you're not making money, or providing a way for people to get it without paying. Some still won't be, and will have the video removed, regardless.

that has got to be one of the most unhelpful videos I've seen in a long time

Back