A Decent Budgeted Gaming PC

Flaunty

I've found something a while ago that I'm willing to spend my money on to use for moderate gaming.
It's got a nice Graphics Card, and the CPU is good for what the asking price is, but I'm not sure if I should buy this if it's only going to last me for about 4 years ( overclocking, running high-end games, etc. ). I don't have a gaming PC at the moment so it'd be nice to get this budgeted PC.

Here's the link to the PC on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-551-8469-15-6-Inch-Midnight/dp/B009A8L0IE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358777770&sr=8-1&keywords=Acer+Aspire+V3-551-8469#productDetails

It's an Acer Aspire V3-551-8469.
Specs:
Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels
Processor 1.9 GHz A-Series Quad-Core A8-4500M
RAM 4 GB SDRAM
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon HD 7640G Graphics
Graphics Card Ram Size 512 MB
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 1
Average Battery Life (in hours) 5 hours

The only thing I'm worried about is the RAM. Other than that, the USB ports are a bit tedious when I need a lot of storage and an external mouse. Other than that, I love it. ( Also, no SSD. Sorry. ;-; )

I'm sure its a decent laptop, but don't expect it to be playing the newest games for four years... Or even two years. Overclocking is likely not possible as its a laptop and you bios probably does not allow it. Even if it does, its not a good idea as there is a lot of heat generated without it.

I would do some more research in the graphics card for sure, on laptops they're usually fairly deceptive with the names.

I will name off everything that is wrong here:
Processor 1.9 GHz A-Series Quad-Core A8-4500M
Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon HD 7640G Graphics
Graphics Card Ram Size 512 MB

I wouldn't even get it if all I did was just watch youtube on my computer.

Except Intel isn't the best choice for gaming.
At first I thought you were referring to Intel graphics. If you were, this would be very true. However, after looking at the link which you quoted, I've determined that you were talking about processors.

Instead of yelling g at you and calling you an idiot because I think you're completely and utterly wrong, I'm simply going to state that that is pretty subjective and very much open for debate.

These days AMD seems to have lost its magic touch. Intel is just beating the pants off of them. Amd is kind of in this spot where they are stagnant. Intels focusing efforts right now on the mobile segment, and I think the next round of atoms are going to give ARM a run for its money... especially being x86 based.

At first I thought you were referring to Intel graphics. If you were, this would be very true. However, after looking at the link which you quoted, I've determined that you were talking about processors.

Instead of yelling g at you and calling you an idiot because I think you're completely and utterly wrong, I'm simply going to state that that is pretty subjective and very much open for debate.

These days AMD seems to have lost its magic touch. Intel is just beating the pants off of them. Amd is kind of in this spot where they are stagnant. Intels focusing efforts right now on the mobile segment, and I think the next round of atoms are going to give ARM a run for its money... especially being x86 based.
Actually, I was referring to graphics. The first thing I saw on the link was "Intel", so I said what I said without even bothering to check the specs. :p

And my laptop is 5 years old with an AMD processor, and I can run some of the newest games. It probably couldn't do that with an Intel. :\

Actually, I was referring to graphics. The first thing I saw on the link was "Intel", so I said what I said without even bothering to check the specs. :p

And my laptop is 5 years old with an AMD processor, and I can run some of the newest games. It probably couldn't do that with an Intel. :\

An Intel Processor will outrun an AMD any day of the week. IVY Bridge and Sandy bridge integrated graphics are leaps and bounds over previous generations. An Ivy Bridge processor with Intel 4000 graphics can run Skyrim in 1280 x 720 @ 40fps, and that's on a mobile chipset with most likely slow memory.

AMD is not terribad, but Intel is better in all aspects except price.

An Intel Processor will outrun an AMD any day of the week. IVY Bridge and Sandy bridge integrated graphics are leaps and bounds over previous generations. An Ivy Bridge processor with Intel 4000 graphics can run Skyrim in 1280 x 720 @ 40fps, and that's on a mobile chipset with most likely slow memory.

AMD is not terribad, but Intel is better in all aspects except price.
Intel isn't compatible with some graphics cards, and my laptop has one of those graphics cards.

Except Intel isn't the best choice for gaming.

1. I don't think it's a good idea to even game if you have integrated graphics.
2. Intel>AMD any day.

If you're asking me if I can run it, probably. Really easy to run compared to Minecraft.
it will run, but if you dont have a good graphics card it will become unplayable (it will lag out, and if it doesnt, it will be laggy and horrible to play)
When terraria is laggy, its impossible to play. where-as minecraft lag is bearable.

it will run, but if you dont have a good graphics card it will become unplayable (it will lag out, and if it doesnt, it will be laggy and horrible to play)
When terraria is laggy, its impossible to play. where-as minecraft lag is bearable.
With Terraria, all I really have to worry about is my fans if they get clogged. I can run games along the same specs as Portal 2. Terraria is most likely under that.

You might consider investing in a desktop. They are scalable and you can make your money go farther. You can spend X amount of dollars now and if you have a couple extra dollar bills laying around in the future you can improve on your existing setup. Just be sure you get a motherboard and processor that you can live with for a while.

Back