A mod survey

oozinator

Moderators are a select few in the T9K community and are expected to demonstrate outstanding character, good judgement, and an understanding but firm disposition. But alas, moderators are only human, and they are not all cast from the same mold. Hence, there is always variation in decision-making from mod to mod.

With that said, how would you act if you had awesome-rank powers under the following scenarios? Please explain your answer briefly.

1. A guest-ranked player asks, "HOW TO FLY?"

2. You find something that looks like a 3-block penis on Steve statue. There are no "balls", and the history on the blocks is different from the statue. The player whose name on the blocks is offline.

3. You come across a floating swastika. Player is offline.

4. A builder rank informs you of a possible griefer. Upon tp-ing to the player, you find that he has been deleting about 2 blocks per build at a rate of 4 blocks per minute.

5a. Player says, "cu*t" in chat.
5b. Player says, "you cu*t" in chat.
5c. Player says, "Kim your a cu*t" in chat.

6. You come across a FU Build. Player is offline.

7. Player logs in and says, "wat up mah nig**s!" in chat.

8. Player says in chat, "I'm griefing Fun" (meaning, he's griefing in Fun world)

9. You find a player named MASTAWANKSTA.

10. Cool rank says in chat, "ROFLMAO!"

1. I would tell him to lower caps. I would not mention WoM client.

2. What looks like a 3-block penis can plausibly be a platform. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt and cuboid it out UNLESS his name appears on other phallic builds around the world. If it's that case, a penis-h ban is given.

3. I would check the blocks around the swas as well as those of the swas, since a floating swas might actually be a legitimate build that was carved out into a swas. I would do this for non-floating swastikas as well.

4. A lot of grief is just non-WoM guests trying to get around. I would freeze the player, inform him of the griefing rules, and ask him not to do it again. I'd do a /info check to see how long he's been playing on the server. Chances are that his total hours will be less than 0.5 hours, but if it's more, I would keep an eye on him.

5a. No warning because it's not directed.
5b. 1 min mute because it's locally directed.
5c. 1 min mute because it's directed.

6. Ban with reason: Offensive build-h (FU). Appeal at www.team9000.net.

7. Kick with reason: Language. Don't use the n-word please.

Where I come from, the n-word among African-American youth conveys a different meaning, so I feel a warning is more appropriate than an outright ban. This only applies to the -ga ending and not the -ger ending.

8. /where to verify that the player is in Fun. If he is, I won't do anything since Fun is an almost-anything-goes kind of world. At least if you're a guest-rank.

9. Consult with other mods online about the name. If no other mods online, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. The name is just not offensive enough for me.

10. Depends on server activity and frequency. If it's quiet or busy with tons of griefers on, I wouldn't do anything unless the player keeps up with the caps. If it gets spammy, 1 min mute. If the player continues after the mute, a kick. And if it still continues then, I'd defer to a pro+ and send him/her my logs.

P.S. My answers are not official procedure. The moderation guide on the T9K Wiki seems to be intentionally broad to allow mods some flexibility in their judgement.

Ugh. I'm not in the mood to answer this in full right now, but for #9, I'd check if the player has a custom skin. If not, then they probably haven't purchased the account with that name and can easily just make a new Minecraft account and come back later; I would ask them to do so. If in fact they have a skin (or it turns out later that they purchased an account but haven't made a new skin yet) I would let it slide, but keep a close eye on them for a while.

Moderators are a select few in the T9K community and are expected to demonstrate outstanding character, good judgement, and an understanding but firm disposition. But alas, moderators are only human, and they are not all cast from the same mold. Hence, there is always variation in decision-making from mod to mod.

With that said, how would you act if you had awesome-rank powers under the following scenarios? Please explain your answer briefly.

2. You find something that looks like a 3-block penis on Steve statue. There are no "balls", and the history on the blocks is different from the statue. The player whose name on the blocks is offline.

4. A builder rank informs you of a possible griefer. Upon tp-ing to the player, you find that he has been deleting about 2 blocks per build at a rate of 4 blocks per minute.

8. Player says in chat, "I'm griefing Fun" (meaning, he's griefing in Fun world)

1. I would tell him to lower caps. I would not mention WoM client.

2. What looks like a 3-block penis can plausibly be a platform. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt and cuboid it out UNLESS his name appears on other phallic builds around the world. If it's that case, a penis-h ban is given.

3. I would check the blocks around the swas as well as those of the swas, since a floating swas might actually be a legitimate build that was carved out into a swas. I would do this for non-floating swastikas as well.

4. A lot of grief is just non-WoM guests trying to get around. I would freeze the player, inform him of the griefing rules, and ask him not to do it again. I'd do a /info check to see how long he's been playing on the server. Chances are that his total hours will be less than 0.5 hours, but if it's more, I would keep an eye on him.

5a. No warning because it's not directed.
5b. 1 min mute because it's locally directed.
5c. 1 min mute because it's directed.

6. Ban with reason: Offensive build-h (FU). Appeal at www.team9000.net.

7. Kick with reason: Language. Don't use the n-word please.

Where I come from, the n-word among African-American youth conveys a different meaning, so I feel a warning is more appropriate than an outright ban. This only applies to the -ga ending and not the -ger ending.

8. /where to verify that the player is in Fun. If he is, I won't do anything since Fun is an almost-anything-goes kind of world. At least if you're a guest-rank.

9. Consult with other mods online about the name. If no other mods online, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. The name is just not offensive enough for me.

10. Depends on server activity and frequency. If it's quiet or busy with tons of griefers on, I wouldn't do anything unless the player keeps up with the caps. If it gets spammy, 1 min mute. If the player continues after the mute, a kick. And if it still continues then, I'd defer to a pro+ and send him/her my logs.

P.S. My answers are not official procedure. The moderation guide on the T9K Wiki seems to be intentionally broad to allow mods some flexibility in their judgement.
On 6, we don't ban for "FU" :p It's only a ban when they make the full word. Because for all we know, that could have been someone making "FUCHIA" and then got disconnected. Unlikely, but...yeah.

On 6, we don't ban for "FU" :p It's only a ban when they make the full word. Because for all we know, that could have been someone making "FUCHIA" and then got disconnected. Unlikely, but...yeah.

I've only given maybe 1 or 2 bans for FU.

When I first started out, I deferred FU builds to other mods or just cuboided/reverted them out. Then I heard that they were banworthy in staff chat and I did see more experienced mods give out bans for them, so I went with that.

In my mind, "FU" wasn't all that offensive so every time I banned for it, I always included the appeal message following the reason.

But I really like your reasoning Patch, so I'll go back to screenshoting and cuboiding them out. Unless if it's spammed through out the world ofc.

"No caps! Also, want to fly? Use HM02 (or, Eat a leaf)"

Cuboid it out unless it looks like it was, indeed a penis, as in finding more elsewhere.

Check blocks around the swas for another player's name. If there is, /ban ___ Swas-h, if there isn't, do the same, with the name on the swas.

Follow the person to see if they're doing it a numerous amount of builds, if so, ban them for mass grief. If not, remind them/everyone that removing any blocks from someone else's build is grief and is a banable offense

"Watch the language"
Mute 1m "Watch the language"
/k ___ Innap. Lang

If it's just "FU", delete it. If it's actually "F*CK" /ban ___ Inapp. Build "F***"

If it isn't Jerzey... /ban ___ Racism

/where, then /tp them to make sure they aren't placing swastikas or penis'. if not, then it doesn't matter.

Ignore it.. a "Wanksta" is a white person who wants to be black...

Caps reminder.

Keep in mind, kicking should never be done without first warning the person. Most of the time, a user does not see their kick reason when kicked, it simply say "disconnected". Warn them first before you kick them, otherwise they will just think they lost connection, so they will reconnect and commit the same offense.

1) No Caps/ Google and Download WoM
2) Check history/ Contact and Awesome+
3) Check history/ Contact and Awesome+ by yelling "I found a swas!" on mumble (though it kinda rarely happens *cough*)
4) Warn, try and keep track, kick if it gets out of hand or have an awesome+ handle it if it gets to that point
5a) No foul language please/ Please keep it appropriate/ kick if it gets out of hand
5b) No foul language/ Please don't call people names/ kick if it gets out of hand
5c) No name calling/ no foul language/ kick if it gets out of hand
6) Check history/ Contact Awesome+
7) Kick for racism (I bet people will argue on this one.. IMO, ga ending is slang for the ger ending)
8) Check for trolling/ Location/ Ignore, but keep an eye on him/her if in fun, if not, warn x2-3 and kick
9) Ask to change name, have Awesome+ opinion
10) No caps please, inform Pro+ if it gets out of hand (hey, i once found a penis in a cool world.. mindfuck, right?)

1) No Caps/ Google and Download WoM
2) Check history/ Contact and Awesome+
3) Check history/ Contact and Awesome+ by yelling "I found a swas!" on mumble (though it kinda rarely happens *cough*)
4) Warn, try and keep track, kick if it gets out of hand or have an awesome+ handle it if it gets to that point
5a) No foul language please/ Please keep it appropriate/ kick if it gets out of hand
5b) No foul language/ Please don't call people names/ kick if it gets out of hand
5c) No name calling/ no foul language/ kick if it gets out of hand
6) Check history/ Contact Awesome+
7) Kick for racism (I bet people will argue on this one.. IMO, ga ending is slang for the ger ending)
8) Check for trolling/ Location/ Ignore, but keep an eye on him/her if in fun, if not, warn x2-3 and kick
9) Ask to change name, have Awesome+ opinion
10) No caps please, inform Pro+ if it gets out of hand (hey, i once found a penis in a cool world.. mindfuck, right?)

A little clarification:

6. A build that says FU is not bannable. That's silly. FUCK is hardly bannable, and I'd be careful with that. At least do an info check first, and make sure that the player hasn't built a lot.

7. This language is not targeted toward others, and is thus not bannable (unless it becomes targeted, or it becomes spam). I'd like to point your attention back to the rules, where in fact, there is no rule regarding racism. "Racism" is simply to broadly defined to be a bannable reason, and thus... is not bannable. Any instances in which racism would become a problem is already covered under rules 2, 3, and 8. "Mah niggahs" is not bannable on it's own.

Edit: In regards to number 7: Of course, this language can be coming from either a troll, or from someone well intentioned. If the user comes across "trolly" in other ways, a ban may be justified, but alone, it's not really enough to make a call.

1. "Caps off, and use (insert answer that isn't WoM). I refuse to tell guests about WoM. The last thing we need are flying griefers.

2. Survey it, maybe get some second opinions, otherwise remove it. It's too difficult to tell, really.

3. Check the history of and around the swas. Ban based on those observations.

4. Look around nearby for any additional grief by the person. If found, question the person. If not, tell the builder to keep an eye on them, but otherwise move on.

5a. Ignore. It isn't tasteful in the least, but no proof of them saying it to another person.
5b. Tell them to watch the language.
5c. Mute them for a minute and tell them to be nice. Also, if they haven't been trolly, tp to see if they are being harassed by said person.

6. Remove it and move on.

7. Usually ban for it, rarely seen it not in offensive terms on classic. :/

8. Tp to check, otherwise ignore.

9. Ignore it. I've seen worse slide by.

10. Move on. I see nothing wrong with it. Now, if it were "OH MY GOD THAT IS STUPID", then I would chastise them.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been meaning to do this for some time as a way to improve my moderating skills. I will definitely consider your suggestions (especially those that are WoW*). More questions will be added later so keep abreast.

Now if I can only stay away from old habits...

*WoW = Word of Woot

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been meaning to do this for some time as a way to improve my moderating skills. I will definitely consider your suggestions (especially those that are WoW*). More questions will be added later so keep abreast.

Now if I can only stay away from old habits...

*WoW = Word of Woot
More questions will be added later so keep abreast.

:megusta:

<name> Google WoM

meh...prolly delete it.

various histories(air blocks and physical blocks) and ban appropriately

depends on which blocks. depends how many blocks, depends on blocks build, also bananas.

meh
meh
kick Reason, language + its 'You're'

At most delete it, prolly not much.

depends on the evening.

/mute <name> 90s

good for him/her

meh

Generally I don't answer this and let them figure it out for themselves, if they begin spamming the question i'll kick them to google it. (stating reason ofc)

If it's in the right place and is built by another player then it's intentions were clearly to make a penis. this goes for all penis builds. penis-h

Regardless of what kind of swastika you should always check the blocks around it anyway; /ban johnsmith swas-h

I ignore it and tell the builder to keep an eye on the player if they want; passage grief is /not/ worthy of a ban.

do nothing.
mute 30s
mute 30s

Muting should never be more than 30s in any circumstance as it isn't really meant to be a punishment as much as a tool to get their attention.
If after 30s of downtime they come back and do it again you kick; and if they come back again after that then you ban.

Do nothing.

Do nothing.

Do nothing.

Do nothing.

Do nothing.

<name> Google WoM

meh...prolly delete it.

various histories(air blocks and physical blocks) and ban appropriately

depends on which blocks. depends how many blocks, depends on blocks build, also bananas.

meh
meh
kick Reason, language + its 'You're'

At most delete it, prolly not much.

depends on the evening.

/mute <name> 90s

good for him/her

meh
*it's 'you're'
;)

Back