A question for an essay

Cheese7710

So I'm writing an essay for a really over-strict English teacher, and I have to have an interview source or two. Now, I am NOT trying to spark a war about different viewpoints here, but I have to do a one-sided argument essay (so I can't have any middle ground). However, I would like to hear some honest opinions. I would please ask others to refrain from criticizing the views of others, but to also try to refrain from using blind facts. (I don't need a source, but I can't work with "George Washington once won a pogo-sticking contest against John Adams for the role of Presidency")

Anyways, my questions are about Censorship in media and if it's good or bad. Of course, my personal belief is moderation, but since I must be right or left-winged, I choose to be for it. Here are the questions I will ask:

1. What do you think censorship in media does to the producers of the media? Does it hurt the reporter to withhold a story from the press?

2. How do you believe censorship affects children and infants? Is making certain information harder to obtain beneficial for the youth of today?

You can answer either one or both, but like I said, this is an interview question for an essay, not a warstarter. I've been on here long enough to trust that most people here will be respectful, but I just wanted to emphasize it's importance.

1) censorship in any form of media is a given, especially this day in age; Personally I feel it hinders a producer's freedom of speech in their content and choice of what to cover.

2) My personal opinion is that censorship affects children and infants in the same way that lying does. You're withholding information either way. The second aspect of this question is a bit more difficult to answer. Most, if not all information, good or bad, is easily accessible, so long as you have an internet connection. However, if one were to, withholding information from the youth today would be highly detrimental in the fact that when one is given only the information that paints the subject in a certain light, a false opinion will be the product of deceit.

Hope that helps bro. (btw, i'm studying broadcasting media ;) )

1. Censorship limits the producers of both editorial content and other forms of media in a creative fashion, subsequently hindering a reporter from objectively reporting the "truth". Whether or not it is beneficial for a reporter to hold a story from the press depends on the nature of the content itself. Unfortunately, it's a harsh reality of the industry.

2. Censorship hinders the ability of children in developing skills in critical thinking, due to the withholding of information skewing intellectual thought in one way or another. However, some individuals (fuckwits) cannot be trusted with certain information, so censorship is beneficial to the youth of today strictly in these circumstances.

I'm also considering pursuing a career in Journalism.

I feel that forcing the students to choose either the pro-censorship or anti-censorship side is censorship in and of itself, and encourages closed-minded thinking in students. Reality, a much harsher mistress than any teacher, dictates that things are much more complex. Censorship neither helps nor hinders the human race - it's how, where, when, and to whom censorship is applied that makes for a good or bad situation. As such, no blanket response can ever be applied.

For example, children up to the age of 14 are formatively incapable of distinguishing real life from video games - this means that the developing portions of their brains don't recognize the difference between killing someone in GTAV and getting money versus killing someone IRL and getting money. In this situation, the ESRB rating can be very important in the development of healthy-minded children.

As an opposite example, the anti-gay censorship in Russia serves to undermine the proper thinking of children by forcing an artificial reality upon them; one where homosexuality does not exist, which is just so wrong on so many levels that I don't feel the need to enter into it here.

Back