• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

A thought...

Miguel

Hey guys,

A topic that I have noticed becoming an issue is the newer generation. Some of you that know me, know that I'm fairly young. And I've noticed that some people (not necesarly anyone from t9k) put down the younger generation for their mistakes/actions. I can fully agree that, yes, we do act like idiots at times but not all the time.

The other day I noticed someone from t9k, who doesn't need to be named, kinda go off on kid for acting stupid. I can understand asking politely to calm down or stop but screaming 'STFU' or calling the person a 'dumbass' crosses the line. The reason I bring this to your attention is because I'm tired of all the name calling and putting down of the youth! It's bad enough that most of are bullied in school, and come to that one place where we feel safe, and then get called out or mocked because of simple mistakes.

Anther thing I would like to state is that not all the youth are complete screw-ups. For those of you who know me, you know I can get really crazy and act like an idiot, but in all actuality, I'm a calm, shy, and intelligent person. I get bullied alot in school and have even tried to commit suicide. Twice. But when I found t9k, found that one thing that made me happy. But after awhile I started getting picked on, but I didn't say a thing. After awhile it kinda became a normal thing. I feel sorta betrayed when this happened. And not long after all these new member started joining, they became targets as well.

To make a long story short, I'm tired of being picked on for my age or intelligence, or actions. I hope you guys can sorta understand, and level with me.

Thanks,

Miguel

cheers to you buddie for creating this blog, i've noticed this trend here too ,and to be honest it kind of bothers me even if i've been here for a while, yes we've had some bad apples, but i've seen enough younger members, that are intelligent and in no way annoying or so called noobs, again cheers to you for doing this, and i hope the certain people that have been doing this in the recent past will be more tolerant towards our youth :3

also pelicans, because pelicans ;D

Precisely. It's not like we ever had a choice of which generation to grow up in. For example, the people who craze at this generation for always being on the internet. It's technology, it advances! RAH. Anyways, <3

Thank you for your thoughts, Miguel, and for exercising excellent judgement by not publicly humiliating the rude player on this blog post. (We definitely can't use the drama right now)

That being said, don't be afraid/ashamed to report someone whose conduct is completely out of line to the mods or admins. I think I speak for the rest of the community when I say that we try to provide a welcoming environment for all players. T9K regulars play an important role here, and if a regular decides to mouth off on a guest, it reflects poorly on the rest of us.

Honestly, the immaturity is annoying at times, but that's the best part of this community, IMO. When we had a Mumble channel dedicated to players under the age of 18, I could always be found there. The 18+ rooms were full of boring "mature" people who rarely said anything interesting, and I found (and still find) the younger generation to be much more fun to hang around with.

I look forward to playing with you soon. What games are you into right now?

Great blog. I know how it feels to get picked on for being young (not here, but in other corners of the internet). I think it's great that you've decided to take a stand, and you have an excellent point. A lot of kids get a lot of shit in school or even at home, they don't need it here. Thanks for making me think about how the things people saw on the internet affects others.

Honestly, being a person who could probably be lumped into the group of people that this blog is about (i.e. going off on people) I can say that it's not really basing something on age. Perhaps it has more to do with my technological upbringing than anything else. As I "Grew up" on the internet I frequented forums, IRC channels, and things along those lines. The places I frequented were a lot more like this. The people that were around longer than you, even if you didn't like them, were respected. I understand that these days on the internet things are a lot different, and some of that culture has subsided, especially around here. I also think that there are individuals that can't take a hint. People don't get angry on mumble for no reason, and whether they crossed the line or not, they were probably antagonized. If you're on mumble and talking to someone who seems to be getting annoyed, it's probably better for everyone if you just shut up. Purposely making someone angry makes you just a part of it than they are. And if you know that there is someone who gets your goat every time, stay away from them, or at least don't talk to them. We have more than one mumble room for a reason.

Right on bro. I'm younger, but no one makes fun of me because I don't have a squeaky voice and I know when to shut up, but even then, it's not right to go off on someone. I completely empathize with you Miguel.

Look, you may have done something wrong, you may not have. The same happens to everyone, and you don't seem annoying. But yes, I think we all have to accept the fact that with Minecraft and 9Gag, we are seeing a serious influx of people of the younger generation on this side of the internet, dabbling in memes and the like.

And we have to deal with that. We can run and hide, or we can teach them our ways, and hope for a better internet. So far, the second one hasn't been working too well, but it seems with you, you seem to have learnt well, our young padawan.

Jokes aside, the internet really needs to do something about this. We're going to have this problem for a while - this side of the internet would become too lonely if it was too hard to reach, but it also can't be so easy that every joe can (or wants to) visit it.

That's why /b/ have kept their side up for so long. As other websites like reddit fall into the abyss of the canerous mainstream, 4chan have safely guarded their stuff by scaring off the annoying mainstream 12-year-old stereotypes that play CoD.

One day, maybe they'll pack up and go home. But until then, we're stuck with people who think they know all of the mee-mees from facebook. Until then, we have to try and ignore them or scare them.

And that's why someone raged at you.

Great job and brave of you to shout out for all the young kids. As I started online gaming and other stuff, I learned that minors are not welcome. So I kept my mouth shut and those 'abuse' you mentioned never occurred to me. That is the way the internet will be, so those young kids should stop bringing shit upon themselves, then complaining about it.

Back