Amateur Game Development Thread

Have a little engine thing I've been working on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0adp5vyp6y1l2aq/poop2.jar

Left and Right click control the ball kinda, and you can move and jump with mario using the arrow keys.

My next objective is to work out collision detection, switching between different menus and levels and also figuring out map scrolling.
For practice I will try and make a pong game.

Have a little engine thing I've been working on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0adp5vyp6y1l2aq/poop2.jar

Left and Right click control the ball kinda, and you can move and jump with mario using the arrow keys.

My next objective is to work out collision detection, switching between different menus and levels and also figuring out map scrolling.
For practice I will try and make a pong game.
Nice with the name...
Poop2.jar
Im watching you....

Does anyone know of a good source for learning how to make GUI programs in C++? (Specifically Windows applications, but I may want to learn GNOME and KDE in the future)

I've learned java at university in 2010, then I started making games. I used a java library named Slick2d, which is based on the Lwjgl library.
Slick2d allows you to create applications, draw images, create shapes, have separate game states (menu, game), play sounds...
In 2 years, I've made a few games already. All of them are unfinished, except one. This is a mix between a breakout and a survival game. Bricks fall from the top of the screen; your paddle must not hit bricks, you have to destroy them and make a way through the walls.
I've spent a few months on it. I might create a blog about this game, so for now I'll just leave this screenshot:
survival.jpg

Sorry I can't help with C++ stuff.

I'm in the process of making a side scroller atm. Just thought I'd leave that here.

(For people that literally know nothing, Game Maker, RPG Maker, and OO1 Engine should help.)

Actually, I think I found something:
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Unfortunately, it's only written in C, but I should be able to write my programs in C++. The main problems I encounter with using C functions and variables in C++ simply have to do with strings. ".c_str()" has become one of my favorite functions.

Of course, this simply deals with GUI programs, not games, but at least it's a start. Once I've got this down, however, I should be able to learn and integrate two dimensional, and hopefully three dimensional, aspects into my applications.

Edit:
Hey, I made a message box and I actually understand what I'm doing!

Been working on this short naval warfare game. It took me 70 hours to make over a span of 10 days. It is coded in C# using XNA.
I've chose to name it Dunkirk, after the protagonist ship in the game. It's based on a historical event during the outbreak of the seven years war, and the goal is to destroy the enemy french ship Alcide.

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/100653299/Dunkirk.rar
Installation:
Unrar the archive, and run Dunkirk. It should let you install, which takes a few seconds. After that you should be able to always start the game from the same file.
Controls:
A - turn left turn right - D
I - fire left fire right - O
The red, yellow, and green bars in the bottom left display how long until your cannons are loaded, and how much speed you have. Sailing north is fastest, sailing south is slowest.

Been working on this short naval warfare game. It took me 70 hours to make over a span of 10 days. It is coded in C# using XNA.
I've chose to name it Dunkirk, after the protagonist ship in the game. It's based on a historical event during the outbreak of the seven years war, and the goal is to destroy the enemy french ship Alcide.

Installation:
Unrar the archive, and run Dunkirk. It should let you install, which takes a few seconds. After that you should be able to always start the game from the same file.
Controls:
The red, yellow, and green bars in the bottom left display how long until your cannons are loaded, and how much speed you have. Sailing north is fastest, sailing south is slowest.

Downloading it right now, I'll give my feedback if my school laptop decides to run it.

Edit: I guess the system admin is an ass-hat and that the file is blocked by group policy or some other bullshit according to this error log, i'll try and send it to you through a convo.

Edit 2: Nvm I got it working feedback in a bit.

Installation:
Controls:

Fix the enemy ships AI, the ship did not shoot at me once the entire game. Have music playing throughout the entire game and make the background less bland to increase pleasure, add a damage sound effect when a ship gets hit and maybe add some backstory about the actual event rather than being thrown Into battle immediately without understanding the situation. Otherwise for a game made In such a short time frame singlehandedly I'm impressed.

Edit: Forget to mention you can still shoot your ships cannons during the victory screen.

Fix the enemy ships AI, the ship did not shoot at me once the entire game. Have music playing throughout the entire game and make the background less bland to increase pleasure, add a damage sound effect when a ship gets hit and maybe add some backstory about the actual event rather than being thrown Into battle immediately without understanding the situation. Otherwise for a game made In such a short time frame singlehandedly I'm impressed.

Edit: Forget to mention you can still shoot your ships cannons during the victory screen.
Oh yeah, it's not supposed to fire back. I didn't have the time to do that when I made it you see, becuase I had a deadline. The music is randomly selected from 7 choices, and once one is finished a new one should start, though I never checked. There is a sound effect when you hit the enemy ship, but it doesn't always play for some reason I have noticed. If you want the backstory you could always read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_8_June_1755. This was a school project aswell, so combining it with history was a plus. Though having 5-6 ships fighting at the same time is a bit complicated, and having the enemy just surrender seemed dull. As I learn more about programming I'll possibly re-make this, maybe in 3D aswell. Making something similar to Sid Meier's Pirates is tempting. This was merely me creating something from what I've learned in the last months, and I may do more games of different genre's the further I go along.

Oh yeah, it's not supposed to fire back. I didn't have the time to do that when I made it you see, becuase I had a deadline. The music is randomly selected from 7 choices, and once one is finished a new one should start, though I never checked. There is a sound effect when you hit the enemy ship, but it doesn't always play for some reason I have noticed. If you want the backstory you could always read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_8_June_1755. This was a school project aswell, so combining it with history was a plus. Though having 5-6 ships fighting at the same time is a bit complicated, and having the enemy just surrender seemed dull. As I learn more about programming I'll possibly re-make this, maybe in 3D aswell. Making something similar to Sid Meier's Pirates is tempting. This was merely me creating something from what I've learned in the last months, and I may do more games of different genre's the further I go along.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll check out the aforementioned article and i'll be looking forward to future potential work by you.

Now that I guess I'm "Back-ish" (Who even knows what that means any more?) I'm bumping this thread. Because gamedev, and stuff. Zakkon and I have already had some conversations about our current projects, and I hope to hear about some of your guys's projects too! (oh sweet lord I forgot how to write on forums.) Prototype screenshots of my project coming soon-ish.

Now that I guess I'm "Back-ish" (Who even knows what that means any more?) I'm bumping this thread. Because gamedev, and stuff. Zakkon and I have already had some conversations about our current projects, and I hope to hear about some of your guys's projects too! (oh sweet lord I forgot how to write on forums.) Prototype screenshots of my project coming soon-ish.
Hey whore.

Back