Apple's Newest Patent

joe34

The feature which the majority of touch screen which makes them unique and standout right from the get go, the Slide to Unlock feature, is now patented by Apple. So if you own a touch screen device which has that feature built into the OS, be ready to have to have alternate unlocking features. I think Apple has nothing to gain from patenting this, besides trying to hit some androids phone in a fairly insignificant way.
Heres the article
https://t9k.me/Z6

This has no bearing on the newest android nicknamed "Ice Cream Sandwhich".

You don't unlock the phone by sliding it anymore, you flick away the lock. Maybe they changed this to prepare for this patent but by 2013 this patent will only having meaning to apple and the inferior iphone.

This has no bearing on the newest android nicknamed "Ice Cream Sandwhich".

You don't unlock the phone by sliding it anymore, you flick away the lock. Maybe they changed this to prepare for this patent but by 2013 this patent will only having meaning to apple and the inferior iphone.
There's also the option of facial recognition to unlock your phone with ICS. Can't wait until they release it for the Nexus S!

There's also the option of facial recognition to unlock your phone with ICS. Can't wait until they release it for the Nexus S!

i don't see this ever happening, as a matter of fact i don't see ICS being put on anything older than the galaxy nexus. Why you might ask.

because the native resolution of ICS is 720p, it can't go any lower so the phone has to be able to support it, exactly why the droid razr is not getting ICS even though the 2 phones are launching within a week of each other. If the phone can't support 720p then it won't be getting ICS.

If I can unlock my phone with a facebook photo, I'm not enabling that.

i don't see this ever happening, as a matter of fact i don't see ICS being put on anything older than the galaxy nexus. Why you might ask.

because the native resolution of ICS is 720p, it can't go any lower so the phone has to be able to support it, exactly why the droid razr is not getting ICS even though the 2 phones are launching within a week of each other. If the phone can't support 720p then it won't be getting ICS.

Oh but it IS happening - Hugo Barra stated that the Nexus S will be the next device getting ICS and that should be "within weeks". And last time I checked, the Nexus S is not a 720p screen. The Nexus One and the now ancient HTC Hero on the other hand, will not be getting ICS due to their dated hardware specs, a big portion of that being the amount of onboard memory. The new Razr will not be shipping with ICS, but Motorola has confirmed that it will be available sometime later - I'm sure once they finagle with it and integrate it with MotoBlur (I sooo much prefer HTC's SenseUI to Motoblur).

You don't unlock the phone by sliding it anymore, you flick away the lock.

That is still a gesture though. In fact I am appalled that Apple was granted this patent as it basically means that they will be able to gain a monopoly through having a simple unlocking process that no one else will have because if they use it they will get sued.

Oh but it IS happening - Hugo Barra stated that the Nexus S will be the next device getting ICS and that should be "within weeks". And last time I checked, the Nexus S is not a 720p screen. The Nexus One and the now ancient HTC Hero on the other hand, will not be getting ICS due to their dated hardware specs, a big portion of that being the amount of onboard memory. The new Razr will not be shipping with ICS, but Motorola has confirmed that it will be available sometime later - I'm sure once they finagle with it and integrate it with MotoBlur (I sooo much prefer HTC's SenseUI to Motoblur).

Well the one thing ICS phones won't have is a skin, google announced in the Galaxy Nexus conference that ICS will be the first OS with a pure google experience meaning no skins.

Link to an article that says this please

sounds like a misquote to me. from what I understand, the stock UI will be more "feature complete," meaning 3rd party skins won't have to be as deep to provide a full experience. It's not a requirement.

--

"Now, with Ice Cream Sandwich, "the vanilla Android install is not very much like 'vanilla' anymore, but more like a Banana Split," Lim concluded. "After ICS, the difference between manufacturer-customized UI's is likely to be only skin deep."

The addition of more functionality in the basic Android operating system, meanwhile, "will make a fair number of apps irrelevant," he predicted."

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/73605.html

sounds like a misquote to me. from what I understand, the stock UI will be more "feature complete," meaning 3rd party skins won't have to be as deep to provide a full experience. It's not a requirement.

Exactly what I thought based on reading a few articles

i have a few articles stating this. For Samsung they don't appear to be using one, HTC doesn't have a reason to since most of there HTC sense functions are already built into ICS and Motoblur is not needed anymore for the same reason.

Android's UI has been tweaked considerably in Ice Cream Sandwich — a "pure Google experience" here, no skins.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/galaxy-nexus-official-release-samsung-google/

Samsung has not customized Ice Cream Sandwich on the Galaxy Nexus, preserving the "pure Google" experience.

http://www.mobileburn.com/17121/new...g-unveiled-runs-android-40-ice-cream-sandwich

The Android’s UI has been tweaked considerably in Ice Cream Sandwich, to be as Google puts it, “a pure Google experience”. This therefore means no longer any manufacturer created skins. ICS has a cleaner interface and is driven entirely on screen

http://sighenz.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-running-ice-cream-sandwich-unveiled.html

When it launches in November (US, Europe and Asia) it will run a standard version of Ice Cream Sandwich (ie, a pure Google experience) which means no customised apps from Samsung.

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-launches-10190129/

most of the articles do only talk about the Galaxy Nexus but only because no other phone has been announced to have ICS at launch. But It's clear at least from Google's standpoint no skins is what they intend. it is there OS and at this stage of the game they can dictate the rules given how popular Android is.

Back