ArcheAge Discussion Thread

Kris

It's been awhile since I've made a proper thread, so let's talk about a really nice game that I'm playing right now:

ArcheAge

ArcheAge is the first ENTIRELY UNIQUE MMORPG I've played in a LONG time. It has absolutely wonderful qualities.

Class System: There are 10 classes, and you are allowed to choose any three to create a class out of the combination.
(e.g: Battlerage+Witchcraft+Occultism= Hordebreaker) (120 different combinations)

You can pick a vessel, from swift sloops, to lumbering galleons, to sneaky submarines and battle it out on the high seas. If you need to cross a body of water, beware of rouge pirates.

If you decide to commit a crime, you will be put before a jury (entirely made of players) and a judge who will determine your innocence, and sentence you to jail, or allow you to walk free.

Not to mention it's sandbox(to a large extent), and you can build houses and bases for you and your faction respectively.

ArcheAge is incredible, there is a patron fee, but you can play ArcheAge easily without it, you will simply not be subject to discounts in stores, etc.

I recommend everyone try it!

This looks interesting. I don't play MMO's much, but I'm willing to try this out. It also looks like a new release, so there will still be new players coming in as well. Its always better when the areas your in aren't completely empty of players.

This looks interesting. I don't play MMO's much, but I'm willing to try this out. It also looks like a new release, so there will still be new players coming in as well. Its always better when the areas your in aren't completely empty of players.
Crazy amount of people. Really hyped game.

I'm on the server Enla by the way. Nice population, due to the low number of servers, some serves consistantly have a queue to get in, Enla almost never has said queue.

I can say that I'm hooked, though so far my experience has been that of a traditional mumorpuger. I'm currently 16 levels in, and the main quest has dragged me everywhere across 2 maps.

I chose the cat race. The storyline pace is ok, i guess, but I wish that I could just see a resolution to my Coming-of-Age ceremony that I started way back in the beginning and not have to be carted everywhere by a high ranking NPC who's clearly using me to end a conflict with a sphincter group in return for getting me out of a pickle I ran into during my ceremony trials.

I've read that the player starts out on a tutorial map, but I didn't see details on how long that lasts or where. The game still feels like its teaching me stuff even as I enter the third map.

Archeage still has me engaged, for now. I joined Enla server under the handle Lacardemos.

I can say that I'm hooked, though so far my experience has been that of a traditional mumorpuger. I'm currently 16 levels in, and the main quest has dragged me everywhere across 2 maps.

I chose the cat race. The storyline pace is ok, i guess, but I wish that I could just see a resolution to my Coming-of-Age ceremony that I started way back in the beginning and not have to be carted everywhere by a high ranking NPC who's clearly using me to end a conflict with a sphincter group in return for getting me out of a pickle I ran into during my ceremony trials.

I've read that the player starts out on a tutorial map, but I didn't see details on how long that lasts or where. The game still feels like its teaching me stuff even as I enter the third map.

Archeage still has me engaged, for now. I joined Enla server under the handle Lacardemos.
Welcome aboard!

Apparently, my computer can't read it, register the game, or just can't support it. I don't even get an error message, or a black screen. Funny, when it was installing/downloading, I had a little video...

Played for a few minutes last night. Sundae on enla. Is there a way to reduce the clutter on screen? Namely that annoying in-your-face map?

Played for a few minutes last night. Sundae on enla. Is there a way to reduce the clutter on screen? Namely that annoying in-your-face map?
Top right corner. Should see an "L", adjusts map size. Change it to "M" medium or "S" small.

Is there a way to download the client on a mac? Currently my PC is 2000 miles away, and its the only thing I have atm.

Well I've finally finished downloading it on my crappy internet, so I'm playing as a Harani named Seanam on the Enla server.

This got some attention... I'm kinda going Pirate, so...

If any of you guys want to join me, you're more than welcome to. Leveling is rather tedious, because questing is the only way.

My potato can handle rift, mostly... can it handle this?
Not entirely sure. It's a pretty heavy game... Maybe the same as rift? The only problem is, the high and the low aren't too far apart as far as graphics settings. I dunno.

Alrighty, ded thred is bad thred:

Lacar and Pasaria: Did you guys quit? If so, what didn't you like about it-- Just curious. :p

Jaryeth: What server are you on, what are you rolling, and are you enjoying your class?

Jiyuueno: Did you ever try it out?

Minecraft took interest for 2 weeks. I still have interest in Archeage, but between mission grinding in Archeage and the realization of impossible architecture in Minecraft, the latter was more interesting.

I think the difference is vision. I can't really see where I'm going in Archeage. I'm lacking enough proper motivation as a gamer to pursue the end goal because the end goal in Archeage is vague. Certainly, completing all the missions and leveling up to the max are good goals to pursue, but to me the rewards for those are more paltry and intangible than the feeling of completing a large, well-designed structure in Minecraft. This is not to say that one is better than the other, but I think that the designers of Archeage need to do a better job of creating player motivation beyond a rewards system.

Also, fair warning:

DO RESEARCH.

Make sure your current class is the one you want to stick with permanently, as you won't be able to change later and retain your current level.

If you continue on as your current class, you will continue to level your skill-sets proportionally to your current level and you will not be able to change it later. So make sure you chose and decide on something you want to stick with pre-level-30.

There is no harm in switching around, just make sure you pick something with good scaling and you enjoy playing.

With 120 classes, it's very likely that the majority aren't viable for everything, as such make sure you have a clear idea as to what you want to do, and choose a class that is viable for it.

Just wanted to get this out there before you guys reach the point of no return, as if you do change, you have to re-level your skill sets.

Back