• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Australia Floods 2012

Camevil

Its not to my greatest intrest to make my first blog an unfortunate one but i think you guys should all know this. Many of you will know that i live in Australia. Now you guys think "Oh australia..hot,dry place" Which is true most of the time. But i live in a town called Wagga Wagga. We have had a history of many floods during the years. This year we are going through the biggest flood in the history of our town.
Many people have been evacuated from there homes and have been force to stay at local high schools. So today i get the day off but don't get my free laptop -.-
Anyways in 5 and a half hours the flood levels are expected to peak to 10.9metres. We have levibanks but they are only 10 metres high. There is water all around the area i live but since i live on i hill i am safe.
It is horrible what the people in my town have to suffer through.
With any luck things will be back to normal in a couple of days. The water levels are quite high at the moment. The floods have affected many lives.
The reason i haven't been on lately is because the floods have cut off the internet so i am just lucky i could get on shortly today.
So i hope you all realize what i am dealing with and why i might not be on in a few more days.
-Camevil

I feel for you man. Not to long ago there were some serious floods where I live. There was a ton of snow in Colorado this past summer causing the dams to overflow. In order to release some of the pressure crazy amounts of water had to be released. Towns in South Dakota, Nebraska, Illinois, and Missouri were either underwater or wiped out. The water level of the Missouri river peaked at 29.5 feet I believe. Many levies were destroyed, flooding a bunch of farmland and Towns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Missouri_River_floods

Good luck man.

I feel sorry you have to go through with this, I feel good that I live in an area where natural disasters /never/ happen. Anyway, Hope you don’t suffer too much damage… or any at all.

Keep dry and stay safe! I'm also glad I live in an area with no natural disasters. Aside from crazy lake effect weather that seems to screw with me every week.:p

Stay safe, stay dry. Also, don't forget that extra tank of gas in case your jetpack runs out.
Btw, Wagga Wagga, no matter what kind of sh*t Momma Nature tries talking, always know that your name makes you win.

Hopefully those flood waters don't rise any higher than the predictions, or it'll be pretty much disaster.
Oh, and the town name is win.

the flooding has apparently peaked. We know that the levi is high enough but we don't know how strong it is. Thanks for all the support anyways guys :) appreciate it

yes! Maybe next time i'm in Wagga. Just maybe....
anyway my Grandparents told me it is not bad in Gundagai but the roads are cut off (apart from the highway). Keep safe and don't swim in the water!

Yeah, that's what happens when you build a town on an alluvial floodplain. However do you know if flooding has grown worse over the past 50 or 100 years? A possible cause would be rise in global temperatures. This would lead to more evaporation and an increase in precipitation, which leads to more dramatic flooding. Other places that experience regular flooding have all noticed an increase in the magnitude of their flooding. Good luck anyway man.

I've been following the floods on TV, and I'm sorry that you've had to go through this. First Queensland, now this? Mother Nature, back off.

Back