• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Ban Appeal

Allimon

Wow.

I'm sorry for making Patchouli upset enough to complain to the other admins about me, but I spoke with her and apologized shortly after the incident. I also explained why I told her what I did. If you need the chat logs, I have them, but I am not okay with being banned for a week over a single word.

I don't believe Theo, the one who banned me, knows the complete situation here and I would like some explanation and discussion on what I perceive to be an abuse of power.

Wow.

I'm sorry for making Patchouli upset enough to complain to the other admins about me, but I spoke with her and apologized shortly after the incident. I also explained why I told her what I did. If you need the chat logs, I have them, but I am not okay with being banned for a week over a single word.

I don't believe Theo, the one who banned me, knows the complete situation here and I would like some explanation and discussion on what I perceive to be an abuse of power.
A word about suggestions/complaints: we're not mind-readers. If someone is pissing you off, if there's a problem with an in-game function, if there's something you think should be added/removed, don't just say nothing and expect us to deal with it. You can post here, or in a conversation with any of the admins if you're more comfortable that way. All we ask is that you be polite and understand that if we flat-out say "no" to something, it won't happen.
I did read the chat logs, private and public. I think you're only now bringing up about this "abuse of power" stuff because you were temporarily banned and want to deflect blame. If you have a complaint, submit it politely. Appeal denied, a week won't kill you.

I did read the chat logs, private and public. I think you're only now bringing up about this "abuse of power" stuff because you were temporarily banned and want to deflect blame. If you have a complaint, submit it politely. Appeal denied, a week won't kill you.
Theo. I want to know your reasoning behind the ban and don't give me "Oh, calling someone a name isn't okay."

Edit: Explain your second quote too, if you would.

Based on Theo's response, he knows only the chat logs. The chat logs do not show everything that happened since it was also partly a personal, 3D interaction that occurred.

It all began when I went into the arena with armor and weapons, seeing what was going on. I see that everyone is unarmored and weaponless (for the most part), so I decide to sit on top the nonpvp area for awhile to see what is going on. Thee then tells me that weapons and armor are not allowed, so I say to myself, "Okay, that's nice. I figured as much. Thank you for confirming this."

I then proceed to the edge of the arena and turn around waiting to see what happens while I text someone in real life. As I'm doing this, ChrisRo decides to attack me and knock me off the platform. I get a little annoyed by this, so I go back into the arena and assassinate him. At this point, Patchy interferes and decides to kill me with an admin sword.

Now, I've been killed by this sword before because I went into the arena a few days prior and killed some people, but that was for fun and the ones I killed seemed okay with me having attacked them since they came back and started attacking me. I was not exactly happy about being killed there either as I felt it was as unwarranted as the current situation. This first attack by Patchouli also seemingly killed the mood of the two other players.

Anyway, while Patchy was chasing me down with her sword, I called her a name and told her to stop and not kill me. She did so anyway. I then said something about her being involved pointless. She told me to fuck myself and then ragequit to come back on a few minutes later.

She confronted me on what I said and told me I should not have called her that. Server restarted. I messaged her and said I was sorry for doing so and then explained my thought process and whatnot about the situation. She seemed okay with that except for her perceiving everything I said as being indirect criticism of her actions, threatening to be "done with this server." I tell her that is silly and then directly critique her admin skills her. I assume she read what I said, but I didn't get a response so I can't say for certain.

In any event, I apologized to her more than once and elaborated on my thought process. I also only said the word once. I don't get why I'm banned at all here other than someone (Theo and probably Patchouli complaining to him) had a hissyfit over what I said.

Now, the abuse of power comes in because I only said the word once and didn't get a warning about my 'poor' behaviour, unless Patchouli saying something to me was the warning. If that's the case, one doesn't give a warning about an offense and then ban over the exact same offense. It's also an abuse of power because it's a week of being banned. The ban amount is in excess since it is over something as silly as me calling an /admin/ a word. I sincerely doubt me calling someone else that same word would have caused as much of an issue as it has now.

The post before this one still stands. I want to know the true reasoning behind my ban and I want to know what you explicitly mean by that second quote.

All I said is that I didn't feel like I could take being an admin here anymore, and why. I didn't even mention who. Don't blame me for a ban I didn't even know would happen.

Also, you called me a cunt AFTER I killed you, you said NOTHING beforehand. Don't even try to pull that.

Allimon, I don't care what lead up to you breaking the "Don't be a dick" rule. You are capable of politely submitting a complaint on the forums if you feel like you have just cause for doing so, as my second quote says.

All I said is that I didn't feel like I could take being an admin here anymore, and why. I didn't even mention who. Don't blame me for a ban I didn't even know would happen.

Also, you called me a cunt AFTER I killed you, you said NOTHING beforehand. Don't even try to pull that.
Given I had like 5 seconds to type it, yes. I was trying to do it before you killed me. Whether that happened before or after the event is not really the matter here. It was in my intentions to do it beforehand. But again, I didn't exactly have a big enough time frame to get that across before I died.

I don't care what lead up to you breaking the "Don't be a dick" rule. You are capable of politely submitting a complaint on the forums if you feel like you have just cause for doing so, as my second quote says.
That's nice. I already knew which rule you thought I broke. I still disagree completely with you deciding one directed word would cause me to be banned for an excessive amount of time without warning and hence the power abuse I'm lodging as a complaint now.

I personally believe you have an issue with me. I bet many things are said that are not recorded or reported. Like Gurw's power abuse over me and caging me for an excessive amount of time in bedrock. There's also Gurw's harassment of other players awhile back.

There are a lot of things that occur on this server that warrant a ban and yet you ban me for saying a single word? Theo, I believe you just wanted a reason, no matter how obtuse, to get me banned.

Now please do explain why you have such an obscene hatred for this word that goes by the spelling of "cunt" and tell me why that warrants a ban in the first place. Again, the reasoning "calling anyone that is NOT okay" is not okay. As well, your reiteration of "be polite" really isn't necessary. I haven't been rude since I began this thread.

Also Patchouli, I apologize for assuming you were involved in getting Theo to ban me.

"Allimon: He's been on Team9000 a while and I think he's friends with Ustulo or something." That is literally the full extent of my opinion of you. I don't have a problem with you, and I'd have banned you permanently had you not been on Team9000 for so long.

"Allimon: He's been on Team9000 a while and I think he's friends with Ustulo or something." That is literally the full extent of my opinion of you. I don't have a problem with you, and I'd have banned you permanently had you not been on Team9000 for so long.
That still doesn't explain why you decided to ban me over a single word. It does however lend credible weight to the power abuse issue here: You would ban someone permanently for a single instance of someone calling someone else a name. You are taking this "don't be a dick" rule too far.

As it stands, this is not reasonable context for a ban. This is unreasonable and unfair. This is also leaning me towards pushing for the removal of the server as being classified as "Official" since its owner seems incompetent in answering questions about a ban and refuses to ban within a reasonable context.

First of all, I was having dinner with my wife. Not a lot of time to be too verbose in regards to your temporary ban. So go ahead, try to get the server delisted because of that.

Second of all, there are quite a number of single words/phrases I'd ban people for. For example: racial slurs, homophobic slurs, any kind of prejudicial terms, and any down-right nasty names to call people. Basically, if what you choose to say is offensive enough, you're risking a ban. Just be nice to people, and tell the admins politely when you think someone is breaking any rules or treating people in a way they shouldn't be treated.

Third of all, breaking the rules is a reasonable context for a ban. It was in the old servers ("Causing unhappiness" was a rule back then), and even the Team9000 Terms of Service ask that you respect people.

First of all, I was having dinner with my wife. Not a lot of time to be too verbose in regards to your temporary ban. So go ahead, try to get the server delisted because of that.

Second of all, there are quite a number of single words/phrases I'd ban people for. For example: racial slurs, homophobic slurs, any kind of prejudicial terms, and any down-right nasty names to call people. Basically, if what you choose to say is offensive enough, you're risking a ban. Just be nice to people, and tell the admins politely when you think someone is breaking any rules or treating people in a way they shouldn't be treated.

Third of all, breaking the rules is a reasonable context for a ban. It was in the old servers ("Causing unhappiness" was a rule back then), and even the Team9000 Terms of Service ask that you respect people.
If you were eating dinner, I would very much prefer you avoided responding until you were done and able to respond in a manner that is much like this.

Alright. I can understand what you're saying, but why do you not realize that there's a context to the entire situation and both Patchouli and I had out differences met out in our conversation? What you decided to do was interfere where there was no need to interfere since there was no issue to be resolved.

king the rules is a reasonable context for a ban. It was in the old servers ("Causing unhappiness" was a rule back then), and even the Team9000 Terms of Service ask that you respect people.
This last part doesn't apply in my case since that rule referenced "general unhappiness" and it was only one line.

One word line doesn't imply such a heavy sentence. I've had no history of problems here, I should be given some benefit of the doubt. The fact that you would ban permanently for a single case of the use of a word makes your administration abilities questionable in the minds of people other than myself.

After talking to the other server admins about this, I've subtracted 3 days from your ban.

After talking to the other server admins about this, I've subtracted 3 days from your ban.
Better than nothing but my opinion remains unchanged. You have banned me without a real warrant. The only reason you banned me is because you didn't like a word. Silliness to the extreme.

So, any further comment on my accusation of power abuse and the fact that my apparent 'violation' would have warranted a permanent ban if I had not been here for multiple years?

Also, I feel there's an unfair double standard in play here.

I am ignoring your accusation of "power abuse" because this topic is about your ban, and you're only bringing these accusations after being banned. If you seriously believed admins were abusing power, you would have asked about this earlier. As far as this double-standard you're accusing me of, you're being very inconsistent. Several posts ago, you accused me of banning you because you thought I disliked you, and later you said that you should be given the benefit of the doubt because of your history. Now that you know that I did give you the benefit of the doubt and gave you a temporary as opposed to permanent ban, you're accusing me of double-standards. I am going to stop replying to this thread, because it's a waste of time trying to argue with you. Just be nice to other players.

I am ignoring your accusation of "power abuse" because this topic is about your ban, and you're only bringing these accusations after being banned. If you seriously believed admins were abusing power, you would have asked about this earlier. As far as this double-standard you're accusing me of, you're being very inconsistent. Several posts ago, you accused me of banning you because you thought I disliked you, and later you said that you should be given the benefit of the doubt because of your history. Now that you know that I did give you the benefit of the doubt and gave you a temporary as opposed to permanent ban, you're accusing me of double-standards. I am going to stop replying to this thread, because it's a waste of time trying to argue with you. Just be nice to other players.
Yes, I've been on tilt since I've been banned and yes I've said multiple things that may or may not be contradictory o random; however, each one is still a valid point.

1. Double standard: Patchouli told me to "Go fuck yourself." I consider that rude and under your rules would constitute a similar punishment for her.

2. Power abuse: Banning people using feelings and not any actual rule-breaking. Banning people because you "don't like a word." Admin command abuse like slaps and rockets that cause ingame effects to the player, effectively endangering said player unnecessarily.

3. My accusation of you disliking me is reasonable given I caused a bit more drama over Bored than perhaps I should have and a grudge may have been held. I was mistaken in my assumption.

4. Benefit of the doubt falls under the improper management of this server and was an invalid reason to begin with. If you were going to permanently ban me for my "offense" you should have simply done so without regard to my history.

5. Changing your mind about a week old ban and reducing it to four days is an arbitrary ruling and does nothing to make your administration appeal to the player. After having been banned over something as silly as two lines (notice I've changed the story since I looked back at the logs and saw that I had recalled the event incorrectly), I can no longer trust the administration of the T9k server to properly uphold its rules and laws, especially without visible input from the other admins. Especially if one is involved in the dispute and had no expectation of banning said player. Your dictatorship of this server without any witnessable respect to the wishes of the other admins should stop.

Yes, I've been on tilt since I've been banned and yes I've said multiple things that may or may not be contradictory o random; however, each one is still a valid point.

1. Double standard: Patchouli told me to "Go fuck yourself." I consider that rude and under your rules would constitute a similar punishment for her.

I'm sorry I didn't take being called a cunt exceptionally well. Also I didn't realize my private conversations with you are now allowed to be public at your discretion.

Back