• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Bird is the Word...

MotorKat

(the following paragraphs are just pointing out a pattern I've seen (or Want to see) in recent gaming/pop culture, so if you disagree that's fine. Just read and be polite about it in the Comments section...)

Angry-Birds.png
Blue_birds_2.png
210px-7632302.png
200px-7632303.png

So, I like birds. Do you? Because it seems that in recent years there've been many appearances of these feathered friends in games and pop culture. For example; T-Shirts, Plushies and Phones everywhere remind us of geometrically-shaped avian protagonists rescuing their progeny from chartreuse-colored vicious savages who intend on ingesting the poor, defenseless eggs.

angry_pig_by_janununuh-d4mtcr1.png

okay, so not quite Chartreuse... but still a color of villiany.

Birds are sometimes good companions for hunters who use them for scouting, but for the people who own tamed birds as pets they are just precious little darlin's. I've noticed that when it comes to birds, people are polarized to either Love them or Hate dealing with them. As a bird owner myself, I lean towards the first of the mentioned categories. Though, sometimes I wonder if there's a pattern with the majority of gamers and their associations with birds.

250px-Sir_Hootsalot.png
250px-Bird-Man_of_Aberdeen.png
250px-Archimedes.png

(The Sniper's Sir Hootsalot, the Demoman's Macaw of Aberdeen, and the Medic's Archimedes)

For you Team Fortress 2 players out there, doesn't it seem interesting that (so far) three out of the nine playable classes have their own feathered friend? And, from what I've browsed in the Steam Workshop entries, there are other submissions of bird companions for other classes just waiting to be approved.

200x200.resizedimage
268x268.resizedimage

(if the Heavy's Robin ever gets approved in any subsequent batch of TF2 items, I'm going to squeal like a little girl...)

So, the following are more notable examples of birds whose appearances were major/minor factors in a game. (in no particular order aside from what came up in my brain first/what I'm familiar with :p )

The Chocobo (Final Fantasy franchise)
chocobo_by_fervore-d50c354.png
vgcats_chocoboinbreeder_MED.jpg

These fairly large birds reminiscent of a cross between a yellow chicken and an ostrich are the famed animal transportation of the Final Fantasy games. The most common ones are yellow, however can vary in color depending on what sort of terrain they can traverse. For those of you who remember the games that allowed breeding of these creatures should also remember how painstakingly difficult it was to obtain a Golden Chocobo.

Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
KazooieTooie1.png
tumblr_mdefip2E2v1qjps03o1_500.gif

Kazooie is the wise-cracking companion that fit in a blue backpack carried by the franchise's main protagonist, Banjo. She (Yes, contrary to popular belief at the time, IS a SHE) helps with Banjo's fighting combos on the field and oftentimes provided alternative mobility through acrobatic, aerial and aquatic means. A more memorable bird from the N64 days of game consoles.

Falco Lombardi (Starfox 64)
300px-Falco643D1.png
images
al1006012334binout.jpg

Falco is the cool and collected anthropomorphic comrade and competition of the franchise's main protagonist, Fox McCloud. He's made appearances in later sequels and games including Super Smash Bros as an unlockable character. (He is also memorable for NOT spamming the phrase "Do a Barrel-Roll!" Like Peppy Hare...)

Bloodwing (Borderlands)
tumblr_mbtafdU2sB1rs1rxlo1_500.png
tumblr_mc5h9mJ7O51r0ohsyo1_500.jpg

Bloodwing is the companion (and BFF) of Mordecai, the Hunter playable in the first Borderlands game and the NPC in the second game.
you have no idea how much I cried in anger after BL2's mission Farewell Old Girl, I had to ragequit the game for a week because the way her death became inevitable pissed me off so much. It probably hit home more with being a bird-owner

The Chickens (Legend of Zelda franchise)
356774984_38e1c6d8ae.jpg
tumblr_lvn9cgfPW01qf75t0o1_500.jpg

Why don't you kill the chickens? Because once you've killed enough of them, they won't forget... And a flock of chickens attacking for revenge sounds much more benign than it really is. Don't. Hit. the Chickens...

Animal Crossing
nintendo%20nintendo%20gamecube%20animal%20crossing%20birds%201024x768%20wallpaper_wallpaperswa.com_34.jpg
blathers.jpg

Donkey Kong Country
ExpressoArtworkCountry.png
squawks.jpg

Bird Pokemon
18.png
tumblr_mbx7t6hw6V1rj43oso1_1280.png

zapdosrg6.png
110fvqb.png
144Articuno.png

KyV3U.png
249Lugia.png

... you get the picture. Now, I'm tired and i'm signing off after 7 in the morning here. I'll list more characters, pictures and data in subsequent updates to this blog, because I didn't plan this article, it just happened. And I'm tired and need sleep. kthxsbaai

@Newspapercrane: by the time i realized i twas one of those TL;DR kind of posts, was too tired and lazy to change it... besides, the pretty pictures made up for it.
@Ninjadavid: tachnically Lugia is a Psychic/Flying type pokemon, plus it is Ho-Ho's counterpart in the 2nd Gen series of games. I'd consider it a Bird as opposed to Gyrados, which is in all purposes considered a Dragon but has the Water/Flying combination.

I'm not to well acquainted with the other birds, but I'm getting kind of tired of Angry Birds. My three year old nephew is into them, and he's insanely good at the game. And it's cute that he likes him so much, but I wish that my sister would expose him to something a little less...annoying. Also, one day, he took a dozen eggs into the living room and smashed them with his Angry Bird plushie. That's what my sister gets for letting him play.

Back