• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Builder Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys want some pro-tips? Here you go:

Back when I was a builder I focused on two things: building and helping others. I would sit at work wondering what I could go home and work on next, and made it my mission to figure out how to make spheres in the game. I got it figured out and made some cool things like a giant hourglass with sand, and a huge fish bowl sitting on a table (sans fish...I can't make fish...). I'm trying not to sound snotty or anything, but I haven't really seen many creative builds in the past few months. Don't get me wrong, some of you guys have built some awesome things, mostly taken from video games or what-not, however. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I enjoy seeing original things, it's what caught my eye with T9K in the first place: I saw things here I hadn't seen anywhere else. Try to think of things you see on a daily basis and incorporate that into a build. Making something different does get you recognition.
I also tried to help guests whenever possible with requests with water/lava. Sometimes I bit off more than I could chew, but helping others makes me feel good, and makes me feel productive. If you happen to spot someone griefing or anything like that, you let an eng+ know about it and carry on your business.

I've said this before and I still stand by it: if you get on here, have fun with your builds, help others and follow he rules, you will get noticed by the higher-ups and get promoted to something higher than a builder eventually. For now, you've been put there because guys have seen something in you in what you can build and are an example of what we look for in builds from Cools and Guests. Quit trying to do more and have some fun.
Perfect explanation, Moondoggy! That is how all of us should be like!
Now if you will excuse me, I am going to make the Iron Giant, this will be a good, original one (it's gonna be 3-D). This is going to be a very fun thing to build (After all, this is my childhood right here, man!).
tumblr_l6kz3yqDII1qzoa9f.jpg

All of the above.

i may be a troll, but im not a newer builder.

also shadow, you need to atleast act like a role model on classic, i mean sometimes.
you were spamming chat and then some guests joined in. if they got kicked that would of been because of you.

moondoggy23 said:
You guys want some pro-tips? Here you go:

Back when I was a builder I focused on two things: building and helping others. I would sit at work wondering what I could go home and work on next, and made it my mission to figure out how to make spheres in the game. I got it figured out and made some cool things like a giant hourglass with sand, and a huge fish bowl sitting on a table (sans fish...I can't make fish...). I'm trying not to sound snotty or anything, but I haven't really seen many creative builds in the past few months. Don't get me wrong, some of you guys have built some awesome things, mostly taken from video games or what-not, however. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I enjoy seeing original things, it's what caught my eye with T9K in the first place: I saw things here I hadn't seen anywhere else. Try to think of things you see on a daily basis and incorporate that into a build. Making something different does get you recognition.
I also tried to help guests whenever possible with requests with water/lava. Sometimes I bit off more than I could chew, but helping others makes me feel good, and makes me feel productive. If you happen to spot someone griefing or anything like that, you let an eng+ know about it and carry on your business.

I've said this before and I still stand by it: if you get on here, have fun with your builds, help others and follow he rules, you will get noticed by the higher-ups and get promoted to something higher than a builder eventually. For now, you've been put there because guys have seen something in you in what you can build and are an example of what we look for in builds from Cools and Guests. Quit trying to do more and have some fun.

I would do all that.... If the server wasn't so laggy, I can't do anything without my render distance at small or tiny. Sorry to be bitchy...

Koodles said:
i may be a troll, but im not a newer builder.

also shadow, you need to atleast act like a role model on classic, i mean sometimes.
you were spamming chat and then some guests joined in. if they got kicked that would of been because of you.

Koodles, I was sort of joking... Also me and joker and twisted are all some of the veteran builders.. Wee should be some of the influences :p I was just having some fun and when terghan told me to stop, I stopped. Simple as that.

How about a mentor system, a build helps mentor a guest(who is active/shows up every day) Helps mentor them and teaches them some basic things. Like learning how to make specific shapes, or how to do wording. (stuff that may seem easy, but it is really not).

I know I for one, only know how to make an object based off of a picture or another persons work.

Koodles, I was sort of joking... Also me and joker and twisted are all some of the veteran builders.. Wee should be some of the influences :p I was just having some fun and when terghan told me to stop, I stopped. Simple as that.

to an extent it can be called a joke.
but you got asked to stop, twice by mcfar and terghan.
so mister "Veteran" builder. why did you keep going after the first warning?

How about a mentor system, a build helps mentor a guest(who is active/shows up every day) Helps mentor them and teaches them some basic things. Like learning how to make specific shapes, or how to do wording. (stuff that may seem easy, but it is really not).

I know I for one, only know how to make an object based off of a picture or another persons work.
I usually just say in the chat: To see how to build type /rules
or: To see how to rank up, type /rules
That usually helps the guests when they are probably about to ask how to build or rank up.

Ryusaizo said:

Actually, I did that with silverwolf9000.

Koodles said:
to an extent it can be called a joke.
but you got asked to stop, twice by mcfar and terghan.
so mister "Veteran" builder. why did you keep going after the first warning?

I said, ok I'm done.......… waddlewaddlewaddle. As a joke then some other builder was continuing..

darkPrime that is not the kind of help I am talking about. I mean for those who know where to build, but would like advice on how to build specific structure types. Not all of us can be godly builders.

Yes, I am a newer builder, but I too have a few words to add to this discussion.

I feel that the abundance of Builders is a very good thing. I don't see why people complain about that. Builders are often recognized as the most productive and hardworking of non-mod/admin players. We are always working on big projects and creative sprites to dress our server with.

One thing I do have a problem with, is the Engineer rank. Of all the mod and admin ranks, Engineers are one of the most common of them online. And we only have 30 of them. 30. Why?! That's almost as uncommon as the awesome rank! So many of our Builders are more active and productive than most of the Engineers. I fully respect the Engineers; they deserve their rank. I just think there should be many more of them.

50-100 Engineers would be sufficient. In fact, that would be a blessing. So many Builders are loyal T9K members who can become amazing Engineers. So let them.

darkPrime that is not the kind of help I am talking about. I mean for those who know where to build, but would like advice on how to build specific structure types. Not all of us can be godly builders.
Oh I know what you're talking about, I am just saying what I do to help new guests. I do occasionally help guests with other water/lava/griefish things
And that seems like a good idea too, showing them how to do everything :)

:D Another proposal, a builder/cool/(trustworthy guest) build project. Instead of just a house here and there, or the massive amount of creeper statues we got going on. Why not reserve a space in the guest channel for a big project (I know it is hard to do with the huge amount of players.) but it would help everyone bond,and get to know each other better.

Erm no.. If Immature builders and Cools can grief/make penises/make swastikas, then a mere guest is totally not trustworthy imo for that type of project ryusaizo

:D Another proposal, a builder/cool/(trustworthy guest) build project. Instead of just a house here and there, or the massive amount of creeper statues we got going on. Why not reserve a space in the guest channel for a big project (I know it is hard to do with the huge amount of players.) but it would help everyone bond,and get to know each other better.
As much I am humbled by my shrines, I think we should move your idea into non-guest world. Too many grievers.

I would do all that.... If the server wasn't so laggy, I can't do anything without my render distance at small or tiny. Sorry to be bitchy...

I'm right there with you. My render distance isn't all that great. Sometimes, if I am building something and don't want to be bothered, I'll /deafen and turn fog up to almost max and build.

@Snackynorph

First, let me say I agree completely with you. 99% of the currently active builders (myself included) have been disrespectful, power abusing, trolling, immature, a horrible example to guests, or some mixture of the above.

Second; the problem is not the ease of attaining builder, or what /commands we have. The issue lies in what us builders believe our duties are. After reading many other posts on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that we are trying too hard to do too much. Several Eng+s have said "Your job is to build. You are builders, after all." That is our PRIMARY objective. We are to build - be it with cools, guests, by ourselves, or as a rank project. We create the structures in Cool, Museum, and Zone that others come to T9K for.

Though our main task is building, we have many SECONDARY jobs to do. The most commonly done one is /pat-ing. In our spare time or boredom we wander around Guest looking for griefers. We are the eyes that tell the awesome+ hands where to smash the ban hammer. Our other task - which should be exclusively builder due to our /tp and abundance of time - is to provide lava and water to guests. A cool should not have to do this as they have no /tp. We do and it is a waste of theirs and the guest's time for them to "meet at spawn" and walk to whatever secluded corner of the map the guest chose to build on. These jobs are the ones that the admins seem to have forgotten, for who else would do them but the builders? The engineers are kicking, the admins banning, and the cools lack /tp.

BTW I logged on ten minutes prior to your demotion, and felt sick watching the ranks fight. I tried to create a guest's perception of the whole fiasco, and from our bickering they must have decided that the light blue, dark blue, green, and red names were ten-year-olds arguing over who got to be admin. This made me feel pathetic and want to quit right then. Fortunately for my shattered faith in T9K, it died down and I have spent all of today sitting on a mower thinking this over. Any comments about this would be appreciated.
I totally agree with you. Although I might not help out guest as much as I should, I still let anyone, with kick/ban powers, know of any griefers, swastikas, or penises that I see. That way they can give, said person doing those things, the kick/ban hammer and it will help get rid of those people that like to do those said things.

DarkPrime25 said:
Heh, it seems that everyone in this little thread is pretty responsible and trustworthy to me. :)

Also, you gotta admit, catching those griefers red-handed, finding griefs, and teleporting is pretty fun.
I agree, it is fun to catch them red handed, especially the look on there face when they know they've been caught. Most of the time they know they are about to get banned so they continue what they are doing before the hammer is dropped on them.

I think I will try Cactis-Idea, to make a second account to feel like a guest. I am one of the very new builders, and the first 20-25 hours it was fun patroling, hiding, reporting grief. I felt like a god ; ) and builders always was the rank I wanted to achieve. But now I am really trolly... : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back