Cell Phone discussion [keep the flames down]

How? the? hell?
images

images

Can we back it up to physical keyboards? Because this Tactus got my e-dick hard
Bi-stable electrically responsive gel. Cool application! I wonder if they can get it small enough and accurate enough to eliminate the need for text-to-speech for visually impaired persons by implementing Braille...then I'd be suitably impressed. Otherwise, it's just another weird feature that I'd probably end up shutting off or breaking.

I'm just imagining someone popping one of the raised letters. Wierd goo all over your screen. I also feel like eventually the film would get saggy in the spots its been a lot.

I'm just imagining someone popping one of the raised letters. Wierd goo all over your screen. I also feel like eventually the film would get saggy in the spots its been a lot.
The technology has been around for years, I've had the chance to work with it before. I think the way they explained it was poor. The gel bonds with the film in such a way that the film won't sag for years. Also, if you do manage to pop it, just clean and replace it. The gel comes attached to the film.

The technology has been around for years, I've had the chance to work with it before. I think the way they explained it was poor. The gel bonds with the film in such a way that the film won't sag for years. Also, if you do manage to pop it, just clean and replace it. The gel comes attached to the film.

Is it something that must be preinstalled? I assume it has to be fed data somehow.

Is it something that must be preinstalled? I assume it has to be fed data somehow.
Your touchscreen is a big electrical field. It works when the conductive oils on your skin create a path between two points, which reduces the potential difference between those points. It's a simple program to increase the current temporarily between points to create a circle, which causes the gel to grow. Because it's a bistable gel, it only needs the initial power to swell, and then it holds that shape until a second input causes it to shrink. From my experience, if you tap the "bubble" with a short, hard impact (like flicking it), it will shrink again (the impact creates a piezoelectric potential, similar to how gas stove lighters work). They will probably fix that before general release.

TL;DR: No, it won't necessarily need to be pre-installed, the screen will likely have to be specialized for that film and gel, though. Probably not going to be available for current-market phones.

Back