Civ 5

Jyk7

Got that game yesterday on steam, they had a sale I couldn't pass up. I was wondering if there were any groups around here that play it that I could talk to and maybe set up a Multiplayer game.

I'm actually so out of practice with Civ games, I haven't played Civ 4 for at least two years, and this game is different enough that I feel like I'm learning the game all over again. Some things I have learned:

1: Incan Slingers are the trolls of ancient wars
2: The Japanese soldiers are ridiculously tough to kill because they don't weaken
3: The Great Wall looks awesome in this version.
4: You can't concentrate your Great People by making them all settle in your capital and making a super city that makes SS parts in one or two turns.
5: Flank
6: Don't get flanked (learned that the hard way from the AI and paid for it with six units, a general, and a city)
7: Put artillery in your cities.
8: Keep some ships around just to kill embarked land units.
9: City State's motto, "What have you done for me lately?"
10: One archer > a dozen barbarian Brutes
11: Three E's, Explore, Expand, Eliminate
12: The more cities you have earlier in the game, the faster you can mobilize your military later.
13: The more you've surrounded a city, the easier it is to take (more from lessons 5 and 6)
14 Archers are only decent artillery before you get Catapults, switch to Catapults ASAP for city seiges
15: Technology is king on the battlefield.
16: If you go for a larger State, Your best options for winning will be Science or Score, taking over the world tends to run past the game's scorecounting turn.
17: if you're forced to have a small State, you should work on Cultural or Diplomatic victories.

Got that game yesterday on steam, they had a sale I couldn't pass up. I was wondering if there were any groups around here that play it that I could talk to and maybe set up a Multiplayer game.

I'm actually so out of practice with Civ games, I haven't played Civ 4 for at least two years, and this game is different enough that I feel like I'm learning the game all over again. Some things I have learned:

1: Incan Slingers are the trolls of ancient wars
2: The Japanese soldiers are ridiculously tough to kill because they don't weaken
3: The Great Wall looks awesome in this version.
4: You can't concentrate your Great People by making them all settle in your capital and making a super city that makes SS parts in one or two turns.
5: Flank
6: Don't get flanked (learned that the hard way from the AI and paid for it with six units, a general, and a city)
7: Put artillery in your cities.
8: Keep some ships around just to kill embarked land units.
9: City State's motto, "What have you done for me lately?"
10: One archer > a dozen barbarian Brutes
11: Three E's, Explore, Expand, Eliminate
12: The more cities you have earlier in the game, the faster you can mobilize your military later.
13: The more you've surrounded a city, the easier it is to take (more from lessons 5 and 6)
14 Archers are only decent artillery before you get Catapults, switch to Catapults ASAP for city seiges
15: Technology is king on the battlefield.
16: If you go for a larger State, Your best options for winning will be Science or Score, taking over the world tends to run past the game's scorecounting turn.
17: if you're forced to have a small State, you should work on Cultural or Diplomatic victories.

We hade one really recent.

Also, if you just got it yesterday you're gonna get crushed by the other players.

Whenever we get another Civ V event, we'll be sure to include you. Hopefully next time we'll actually get it started on time and there won't be anyone with issues updating their version of the game *cough* ME *cough-cough*

We hade one really recent.

Also, if you just got it yesterday you're gonna get crushed by the other players.

Thanks for the tip, but I figure the only time you lose is when you don't learn anything new. I do plan on playing my way up the difficulty scale on my own for a while anyways so I'll probably be sort of ok.

Long story short, I expect to lose a lot.

The Civ games are the only strategy games I've ever really gotten into. I've only ever played Civ 4 (with all the expansions). But my good friend said that he tried out Civ 5 and didn't like it at all. He mentioned that several things were removed and/or changed to simplify the experience. I myself haven't tried it.

HAHAHA! Today the Incans beat the English to the Industrial era and celebrated by testing their shiny new artillery on the Brits. Put simply;
images.jpg

The only issue I have with a multiplayer game is that Mac users such as me would not be able to join because aspyr can't get their shit together.

Best way to win:

1. Be Japan (Bushido ftw)
2. Share a continent with Egypt
3. Research iron working
4. Attempt to settle next to iron
5. Get spot stolen by Egypt
6. Rage Quit
7. Relaunch game and load your save
8. Create a massive army
9. Obliterate Egypt
10. No More Egypt
11. ????
12. Enjoy your newly owned iron. :)

I used to play Civ Revolution for the DS a while ago and I HATED Abraham Lincoln and Gahndi. They ALWAYS declared war on me!

I say we get a civ 5 going this weekend? :)
I can attend, providing networking isn't too hard. I haven't explored the multiplayer options because I've been too busy pushing all the other buttons to see what they do :D

You know, the Spanish empire, in the Americas. The one founded on Cortez and smallpox?

That's still part of Spain. Not a separate empire in and of itself. They may have lost control later on, but those areas turned into pretty much as we know them today.

That's still part of Spain. Not a separate empire in and of itself. They may have lost control later on, but those areas turned into pretty much as we know them today.
I don't think that we said it wasn't a part of Spain. The reason I call it the Spanish empire in the Americas is to distinguish it from, say, the Spanish empire in the Philippines.

The other reason is because it was governed as an empire, with all sorts of "subhuman" and non citizen classes below the aristocrats from Spain. Compare to the system I think of as a kingdom in the Spanish homeland, where while there were still classes nobody's (or very few people's) humanity was being questioned. I'm not sure about the exact doctrine of the Inquisition on the humanity of heretics against their church, nor how long that Inquisition was in force.

Anyways, sorry about the long explanation, I get a little obsessive about history and clearing up misunderstandings.
images.jpg

Uso mi libro para explicar la historia de Espana

Best way to win:

1. Be Japan (Bushido ftw)
2. Share a continent with Egypt
3. Research iron working
4. Attempt to settle next to iron
5. Get spot stolen by Egypt
6. Rage Quit
7. Relaunch game and load your save
8. Create a massive army
9. Obliterate Egypt
10. No More Egypt
11. ????
12. Enjoy your newly owned iron. :)
Found an even awesomer tactic today.

Prerequisite: Chokpoint
1: Build Spearmen, Archers, and Catapults
2: Make a Spearman wall in front of your Archers in the chokepoint, put Catapults behind Archers.
3: Declare war on neighbor
4: Neighbor rushed the Spearman wall and gets crushed by arrow barrages and fortified Spearmen (stupid AI)
5: Advance through the now lightly defended country.

This doesn't necessarily win the war outright, but it's good for capturing at least one city with acceptable losses. I can think of three ways the plan can get messed up

1: He rushes with too much, in this case you may have a serious problem. If the Spearmen break, pull your Archers behind your Catapults and try to get another meatshield between your ranged guys and your enemies.
2: He doesn't take the bait, This means you have a stalemate where his guys are staring at your guys from across an tile of no man's land, or 3 will happen
3: He goes around the chokepoint, worst possible scenario. I don't have a standardized plan for that, just defend as best you can.

One last note, the marauding horsemen tactic got seriously nerfed now that cities can bombard. I used to grief the NPCs by pillaging every little improvement they made, keeping their city populations at around three, and keeping their cities disconnected. If I didn't have many enemies, I could get all the way to Modern age before they managed to drive back my horsemen, at which point my army of Mech Infantry and Bombers would move in. Now, I can't penetrate very deep into their territory, all my raids could do was keep them from sending out settlers and keep their frontier unimproved.

A last last note, taking a city without siege weapons is more trouble than it's worth. I started a game on settler difficulty just to see if I could do it, and after about thirty turns of engaging, retreating, healing, and coming back, I managed to take all the enemy cities without catapults. lessons learned from that:

1: Two units beside each other with the Medic promotion can survive bombardment from a city at a comparable tech level without needing to withdraw, but they're screwed if that city produces ranged units
2: NPCs will bombard the unit with the least health. By keeping your melee units weak by attacking whenever their health is full, you can keep their fire off your ranged units.
3: You get awesome flanking bonuses to your melee attacks if you encircle the city as much as possible. Plus, it will force the city to starve, keeping it's production very low and denying it resources. Cities with Ancient or Classical units can tolerate being encircled and still be able to produce units. Medieval cities onward cannot produce units in any reasonable time when encircled.

images (1).jpg

You use it to buy units in an encircled city, silly cat

Back