Could use help with mah Computer.

Kris

Alrighty, I own a craptop not of very high quality.

Over the past few months, it's begun making this sound that sounds somewhat similar to a motorcycle being shredded in a jet engine, and (The CPU fan, I think).

The fan is clear of dust, I take it apart regularly to make sure of this.

I used to be able to cease the sound by (please don't hate me, tech fanatics) tapping on the keyboard not too lightly with my fist. But now I'm not even able to do this. It's relatively constant allowing for maybe 3-4 minute breaks before it starts back up again.

I'll probably be recieving a new computer for christmas, but I'm just curious as to what this is/what I can do to fix it.

Is there a cord running by it, I have seen many laptops that run their (of what I assume) antennae cables from the wireless adapter right by the fan. I doubt this is the case, but make sure your wires are secure around your fan and that the tape holding them is not losing its adhesiveness. I don't know what else it could be unless your fan's motor is going out. Then you're screwed. anyone else know what it might be?

Is there a cord running by it, I have seen many laptops that run their (of what I assume) antennae cables from the wireless adapter right by the fan. I doubt this is the case, but make sure your wires are secure around your fan and that the tape holding them is not losing its adhesiveness. I don't know what else it could be unless your fan's motor is going out. Then you're screwed. anyone else know what it might be?
Sounds like an Old Yeller-type situation..

Or maybe loose wiring tapping against the fan.
There is a guard around the perimeter of the fan as well as over the top of the fan, unless the fan is actually scraping against the heat sink, then I don't know what else it could be rubbing against.

Likely the fan's bearings have are just worn, causing vibration as the hub spins.
I thought of this, considering my entire laptop vibrates as it's happening, but I was wondering why hitting it stops it, were this the case.

I thought of this, considering my entire laptop vibrates as it's happening, but I was wondering why hitting it stops it, were this the case.
Could be that the noise is being caused by the fan temporarily seizing due to the worn bearing(s) - providing a thump helps knock it free. You could try removing the sticker on the top and put a couple drops of oil/lubrication down the center spindle and see if it clears it up.

Back