Day 1 Offline Capabilities: PS4 vs XB1; also, PS4 POLICY CHANGE

Serenity595

Day 1 Offline Capabilities: PS4 vs Xbox One

When you first get your PS4 or Xbox One, you will have to download a mandatory patch to unlock most of its features. If you don't have access to an internet connection at home (or if your connection isn't fast enough), you'll be screwed with either system. Here, I will briefly (not extensively) compare the offline capabilities of the two on Day 1:

Xbox One

-- No ability to do literally ANYTHING, including playing disc-based games

PS4

-- No second screen with the PS Vita
-- No Blu-ray playback
-- No custom music
-- No voice recognition
-- No facial recognition

If you're mostly an offline gamer, I would highly recommend choosing the PS4 over the Xbox One. Most features on the Xbox One require an Xbox Live Gold Membership, while this is not as apparent with the PS4's Playstation Plus. Also, if you call SCEA Consumer Services, they will send you a disc that has the patch on it you need for the PS4. No word on whether Microsoft is offering similar services.

Anyway, just wanted to give you the heads up.

ALSO, to not sound like a Sony fanboy, take a look at these new policies that Sony is enacting only days before launch:
Gamespot said:
Ahead of the PlayStation 4's launch this week, Sony has updated its Software Usage Terms (via Polygon) to explain that the company may "monitor and record" any or all PlayStation Network activity, including voice and text message data. The company can do so enforce the Terms and to comply with pertinent law, Sony said.

"We reserve the right in our sole discretion to monitor and record any or all of your PSN activity and to remove any of your UGM [user-generated media] at our sole discretion, without further notice to you."

The Terms of Usage apply to all authorized PlayStation systems, including PlayStation 2, PSP, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PS4.

"Any information collected in this way, for example, your UGM, the content of your voice and text communications, video of your gameplay, the time and location of your activities, and your name, your PSN Online ID, and IP address, may be used by us or our affiliated companies to enforce these Terms and the SEN Terms of Service, to comply with the law, to protect our rights and those of our licensors and users, and to protect the personal safety of our employees and users," the document goes on.

It looks like the SpyStation may now have a level playing field against the Xbone.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

I'm still getting both.
This.

I'm getting the Xbone first, because:
A. I was able to get on the pre-order list for it on the final day it opened back up.
B. Its the more expensive console so getting it out of the way first allows me to pick up a PS4 later down the road with less effort.

Also, Serenity, do you have a source to back up your claim that you can't play disc based games D1 of Xbone release without patch? I have not seen evidence stating that posted anywhere.

This.

I'm getting the Xbone first, because:
A. I was able to get on the pre-order list for it on the final day it opened back up.
B. Its the more expensive console so getting it out of the way first allows me to pick up a PS4 later down the road with less effort.

Also, Serenity, do you have a source to back up your claim that you can't play disc based games D1 of Xbone release without patch? I have not seen evidence stating that posted anywhere.

I'll probably get the PS4 just because I'm used to Sony consoles (I've never owned an Xbox or Xbox 360). Sadly, I don't have enough cash or willpower to want both the PS4 and Xbox One. :p

Also, here's my source, straight from IGN:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/08/xbox-one-needs-mandatory-day-one-update-to-do-anything

I personally feel the ps4 has the 1 up in this whole thing. I mean for fucks sake the wiiu had a day one patch update to get online working. but still I really dislike the idea that both sony and microsoft are going to be monitoring our data (and by monitoring I mean monetizing). and in general not to be a member of le glorious pc master race but I feel a pc would be the best option for this generation.

Either way I would choose the ps4 over the xbone and then the pc over both, but i'm not in the position to buy any of them soo.

glorious-pc-gaming-master-race_design.png

I'd probably buy a PS4 if I wasn't still addicted to the best release of the year: Old school Runescape. I'll probably wait a few month and miss out on Forza and Dead Rising.

When you first get your PS4 or Xbox One, you will have to download a mandatory patch to unlock most of its features. If you don't have access to an internet connection at home (or if your connection isn't fast enough), you'll be screwed with either system. Here, I will briefly (not extensively) compare the offline capabilities of the two on Day 1:

This is because the systems are shipped with minimal OSs because they (Sony & Microsoft) did not complete developing the OSs for the consoles by the time they were manufactured.

PS4

-- No second screen with the PS Vita
-- No voice recognition
-- No facial recognition

All of those services require access to SCEA's or Facebook's servers to work.

Gamespot said:
"We reserve the right in our sole discretion to monitor and record any or all of your PSN activity and to remove any of your UGM [user-generated media] at our sole discretion, without further notice to you."

The Terms of Usage apply to all authorized PlayStation systems, including PlayStation 2, PSP, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and PS4.

"Any information collected in this way, for example, your UGM, the content of your voice and text communications, video of your gameplay, the time and location of your activities, and your name, your PSN Online ID, and IP address, may be used by us or our affiliated companies to enforce these Terms and the SEN Terms of Service, to comply with the law, to protect our rights and those of our licensors and users, and to protect the personal safety of our employees and users,"

This is to allow SCEA to protect itself from the United States government incase the United States government gets a court order to turn over data.

It looks like the SpyStation may now have a level playing field against the Xbone.

You do know that pretty much every product in the US and on the internet can spy on you. Because of this it is not fair to call the PlayStation the SpyStation without calling the phone in your pocket the SpyPhone (Running SpyDroid KitKat or iSpyOS 6.9) and the Xbone the SpiesBoner.

Cool i can use my PS1 without fear of those capitalist pig-dogs trying to steal my secrets.

If SCEA wanted your data they would have done this a LONG time ago. The only reason they are doing this now is because of the US shutting down companies that are unable or refuse to comply with court orders to turn over data. Also if you are a citizen of the US then it is partially (approximately 1/317,000,000th) your fault (And partially mine) that they are doing this.

but still I really dislike the idea that both sony and microsoft are going to be monitoring our data (and by monitoring I mean monetizing). and in general not to be a member of le glorious pc master race but I feel a pc would be the best option for this generation.

Consoles are the better option ONLY for exclusives. PCs are better for everything else.

Also, unless you game on *NIX or on a air gapped system, you will be spied on.

I don't usually look at Serenity's threads (cause I really don't like real talk. I prefer to keep things at casual conversation) but dude, THANK YOU for this one! Since I have plans on getting PS4 (at least) it was nice to see this. I'll still probably get it, despite the whole recording my messages thing, cause honestly the internet already monitors those kind of things and I have nothing to hide so it doesn't affect(or effect I dunno) me. Plus, I'm not a fan of pirating, so if it's looking for stuff like that I don't have anything to fear there as well.

Also, I feel the difference between what Sony is doing compared to Microsoft is that the Xbone has a mic/camera that can't be turned off recording all things said in the room. Whereas Sony is simply recording things done online which like I said is already done when I use a computer. I don't care if Microsoft isn't going to do anything with its recordings of me, there's still something unnerving about the idea of a camera watching me sleep (since if I got an Xbone it would probably be in my room)

If Xbone got rid of those 1984 like qualities that I mentioned, then I'm an uninformed asshole and I disregard all of the statements referencing it.

Commencing upset fanboy rant:

Besides the only thing good Xbone has (imo) is Dead Rising 3. Which is BULL SHIT that its an exclusive! Seriously at least come out on Steam! I've been a Dead Rising fanboy for a LONG TIME (really only the maximum 6 years)! Hell I even bought Off the Record even though I was fully aware of what it really was (a way for Capcom to make a quick buck). WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!? The only interesting exclusive you have just so happens to be the third installment of my second favorite franchise (behind Mortal Kombat of course). *Sobs grossly*

End of eternal sadness rant.

EDIT: I found a review for the PS4 right here. What I gathered:
  • The launch titles are pretty weak
  • Better exclusives are on their way
  • Runs amazingly well
  • Menu is VERY user friendly
  • Streaming form PS4 is easy as one, two and we're live
  • It's gonna heat up like a disco inferno, so that's scary.
  • New controller feels nice, but its a new controller so its gonna take some getting used to
So that's cool.

It's gonna heat up like a disco inferno, so that's scary.
I feel like after everyone learned how to manually fix their XBox or XBox 360's heating issues with a piece of cardstock because Microsoft was too cheap to put a $0.00001 piece of plastic into the system; this isn't even an issue.

Anyone know the official launch date of the PS4? I thought it was the 15th, but I'm already seeing reviews of games like Knack.

Anyone know the official launch date of the PS4? I thought it was the 15th, but I'm already seeing reviews of games like Knack.

"The PlayStation 4 is here, but as of this writing, PSN servers have yet to go online. We're currently putting the system through our rigorous review process, and will report back when we have the whole the story. Until then, enjoy our updated hands on and keep checking back for our full review.

The battle for the living room is a cold war no more. Sony's PlayStation 4 is ready to go thermonuclear, hitting North American retailers on November 15, and marching onto UK shelves November 29."

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/sony-ps4-1131803/review

I just got my pre-order today. Haven't turned it on yet, probably won't for two weeks, as I have a couple "new" games for my ps3 that I'm taking up to work with me.

Why thank you. Ask tshinotu about his though, he was all rushing to get his unboxing video up before mine....and I didn't even make a video...plus I had mine unboxed (and reboxed for storage reasons) a full 8 hours before he even considered it.

Back