Discussion thread about T9k's future

Luckily there's a rail right under where the thread was derailed that merges back on to the original track.

I was working on things earlier on how the site could be improved a bit, and I came up with some things (AND added some of the things Jerzey had wanted, such as:

• CONSISTENT and RELEVANT Twitch.tv streaming either on Official or Community Team9000 channel
  • Reface of the front page. More inviting and showing off current games/launch

Obviously I'm not the best at html and have used ghetto/incomplete ways to add things but as this is just a mockup it will work for now.

The changes I've made are:
  • Merge of the Alerts and Conversations notification counters (I guess it may not be the best)
  • Merge of Account and User (Hopefully will be a dropdown similar to how Steam does it, with View Profile, Account Details, and Logout)
  • Moved Wiki, Launch, and Goggles to More
  • Removed Owl
  • Added Random Game of the Moment
  • Added Streams
  • Added Launch
  • Split Threads and Blogs into separate sections

Threads and Blogs are outdated.
Anyway, here's a link to the HTML file I've edited. Yes, you have to download it and open it yourself.

EDIT: Added a couple things mcfar suggested.

I've actually been doing some web design stuff in my job. Mostly just soaking up information from our UI guy. Anyways, Twitter made this library called "Bootstrap", with a grid system that's really useful for responsive web design. Basically you can have the same elements on a page, but have them in a different layout based on the size of the screen. All those icons Jerzey had on his mock-up could look like that on desktop screens, but laid out vertically in one column on mobile screens. Then again, even without responsiveness the current site is still pretty mobile-friendly.

Luckily there's a rail right under where the thread was derailed that merges back on to the original track.

I was working on things earlier on how the site could be improved a bit, and I came up with some things (AND added some of the things Jerzey had wanted, such as:

Obviously I'm not the best at html and have used ghetto/incomplete ways to add things but as this is just a mockup it will work for now.

The changes I've made are:
  • Merge of the Alerts and Conversations notification counters (I guess it may not be the best)
  • Merge of Account and User (Hopefully will be a dropdown similar to how Steam does it, with View Profile, Account Details, and Logout)
  • Moved Wiki, Launch, and Goggles to More
  • Removed Owl
  • Added Random Game of the Moment
  • Added Streams
  • Added Launch
  • Split Threads and Blogs into separate sections

Threads and Blogs are outdated.
Anyway, here's a link to the HTML file I've edited. Yes, you have to download it and open it yourself.
I like this, however I don't think keeping blogs beneath the threads is good. It would be better to make the blogs a little more visible.

On a more general note I think we should split the servers section on the homepage into "Community Servers" (which would clearly state that the servers are not directly associated with Team900) and "Launch Servers". This way people can host servers (such as what Theo and Gurw are doing) and have them visible but make it clear that they are not Team9000 servers but community servers, and the Launch servers would make the Launch service more visible and could also provide a link to the Launch page.

I am going to do a lot of shortening/ paraphrasing to make this reply less lengthy
I'm assuming that when you said, "what has happened, what is currently happening, and what will happen in the future." you are talking about what happened to the community and why it's like the way that it is today. Am I correct about that assumption?
Well yes In order to fix something you need to know what is broken, aka a big factor of the decline was classic taking a dump. Sometimes a good history lesson can fix some problems.

PC gamers may or may not want to roll through console discussion. So the forum layout could be:

Games [Forum]
  • PC Games [Subforum]
  • Console Games [Subforum]
  • Handheld Games [Subforum]
  • Mobile Games [Subforum]

So on and so forth. You could even combine Handheld and Mobile perhaps. Just ideas. Maybe it won't work. The nice thing is it can all be moved around at will.
Yea I really like the idea of an updated forum list, While minecraft is still "huge" I think a shift in focus would help out a lot!

Also your design is pretty cool but seems pretty busy to me, if you wanted to change the design to that I think a more consistent theme that would help out a bunch. also the grey theme, not a big fan :D

Here are my short thoughts:
I think we're expecting too much out of Wooty, as he has given the community the platforms and resources, as well as very liberal rules for us to use to make the community what we want it to be.
For the most part I agree, a chunk of people would not mind stepping up to help out. The main person who changes stuff is sonic though. The whole point of this thread is to basically figure out what direction we want to take the community. If we all can agree on what we want then maybe change will happen and that would be great.

I will have to check it out soon but I'm glad you went ahead and experimented, that is exactly what we need to be doing!

well, the site is due for another Community meeting, and seeing as Bored is retiring from his volunteered time with Game Nights organizing, some thoughts from Mein Fuhrer Sneaselyzer would be awesome on if he has any ideas/plans to implement.
because a shiny Sneasel was what "Mr. Snesalyzer" gave me an image of.
hahaha yea it is a nickname I made up for whatever reason, I like that.

Alright enough responses for now, I've updated the OP and put links to comments I thought added meaningful ideas and discussion. I won't add everyone's comment but I think it is a decent way of finding the good bits that may get glanced over as the topic gets longer.

I will continue to do this for the next few weeks as this thread gets more responses and we figure out the direction.

I also just want to say that I don't hate T9k, this has been one of my favorite communities to date but it pains me to see it so down. I want to see it live long and prosper.

I like this, however I don't think keeping blogs beneath the threads is good. It would be better to make the blogs a little more visible.

On a more general note I think we should split the servers section on the homepage into "Community Servers" (which would clearly state that the servers are not directly associated with Team900) and "Launch Servers". This way people can host servers (such as what Theo and Gurw are doing) and have them visible but make it clear that they are not Team9000 servers but community servers, and the Launch servers would make the Launch service more visible and could also provide a link to the Launch page.
Alright, tried to make the blogs as visible as I could, and did the server separation thing (that breaks the drop-down thing we had before, not sure why though). I'm not sure how I could get a list of the launch servers running and place it onto the page, but I added some text under the picture. Link was updated to the new download.

I did my part with gamenights for almost 2 years (off and on of course due to life stuff.) Honestly Sonic and Ozy are both open to ideas and generally will try to help with things if at all possible (like how Sonic would have a countdown timer for some gamenights on the main frontpage.) Course a lot of things really don't need their approval for people to do things, I mean I started gamenights on a whim and they liked it, if they don't like what someone tries to start they'll tell ya to change or stop.

Like I said years ago, this is a community, if you feel like it's missing something then don't just sit there twiddling your thumbs, expand on the idea, see about implementing it and do it! There are a couple members that are doing that currently and I acknowledge how much effort they are putting into it.

Anyways that's enough rambling from me, this community is still strong, it just needs a new coat of paint and a little TLC to get the cobwebs cleaned up.

~Bored

P.S. I'll schedule a Community Meeting sometime in late Sept. for us to discuss more on things in the mumble setting, yes I can't host GNs, but I can still chat at work :p.

I'd like to throw my 2 gp into the ring
1c1947e9b6.jpg

Personally my lack of interaction has been due to many reasons for me.
1. My mic broke so not much mumble
2. Just started college. q q
3. My main computer related interest has been runescape and through that I found a clan that in turn has a TS. So my time has been with other people who have shared my common current interests.

A main drawing point I feel was the fact that we had that steady stream of people coming in through some stationed outlet that kept a consistent community like others have stated. Due to times changing we need to change with those outlets. Despite what people are saying about us taking up the pace from woot he needs to do at least something that would provide the chance for designated people to actually pick up the pace so he doesn't have to. For starters would be cleaning up the front page and I love Jerzeys idea for the front page.

Another section to add to that alongside would be a creativity highlight, again would simply post the latest form of creativity produced by the community in the slot where the freddie is. I really can't state anything that hasn't already been said but I feel we need to look at what is if any is drawing people away and utilize that to draw people in.

I'll probably add onto this later but spur of the moment rambling.

So I mean, we can control the forums, or at least the content, but the first impression... the front page... that is all Wooty.

DaGamer, I like your mockup, that's badass.

Perhaps one day I will actually learn some shit, and maybe this is my chance.

So I have an idea:

Let's put together a SOLID plan, we will keep the plan in the OP.

We will all work on forum layout.
Dagamer, you and guys good at HTML should work out the front page and small details.

What I want us to do is give Wooty almost NO WORK AT ALL to do, except copy paste and maybe a little coding here and there, so that his work is quick and nearly effortless. This way, he doesn't spend his precious free time or work time, fixing this.

Sounds good?

In order for this to work, you guys have to be able to work together. Be critical, but be mindful. Don't attack what you don't like, make suggestions in an appropriate manner. If we can't act decent, this entire thread and opportunity will crumble right under our feet.

You know regarding the website, I miss the newsfeed on the top with news about team9000. How would I even know we have a Mumble Server without actually diving deep into the website?
I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy laughing with his headphones on was a really greeting sight when visiting the homepage.

You know regarding the website, I miss the newsfeed on the top with news about team9000. How would I even know we have a Mumble Server without actually diving deep into the website?
I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy laughing with his headphones on was a really greeting sight when visiting the homepage.

Turtlebeach Guy. Yea we miss him.

DaGamer, I like your mockup, that's badass.
Thanks.

Dagamer, you and guys good at HTML should work out the front page and small details.

What I want us to do is give Wooty almost NO WORK AT ALL to do, except copy paste and maybe a little coding here and there, so that his work is quick and nearly effortless. This way, he doesn't spend his precious free time or work time, fixing this.

Sounds good?
That sounds like a good idea. I'll help, but obviously I can't do it on my own.

I hosted this here for easier access.
Thanks for hosting that for me!

Anyway I just wanted to check in on the thread. I'll probably work on the front page a bit more tonight.

Paraphrashing
A main drawing point I feel was the fact that we had that steady stream of people coming in through some stationed outlet that kept a consistent community like others have stated. Due to times changing we need to change with those outlets. Despite what people are saying about us taking up the pace from woot he needs to do at least something that would provide the chance for designated people to actually pick up the pace so he doesn't have to. For starters would be cleaning up the front page and I love Jerzeys idea for the front page.
Another section to add to that alongside would be a creativity highlight, again would simply post the latest form of creativity produced by the community in the slot where the freddie is. I really can't state anything that hasn't already been said but I feel we need to look at what is if any is drawing people away and utilize that to draw people in.
I agree we need to discuss these things in order to fix what our issues are currently.

Retention and advertising

When we had classic our advertising was amazing but our retention was horrible, now we don't have as good advertising but our retention is better. If we can have the best of both worlds I think t9k will be a force in gaming communities.

So I mean, we can control the forums, or at least the content, but the first impression... the front page... that is all Wooty.

Let's put together a SOLID plan, we will keep the plan in the OP.
guys who are good at HTML should work out the front page and small details.

In order for this to work, you guys have to be able to work together. Be critical, but be mindful. Don't attack what you don't like, make suggestions in an appropriate manner. If we can't act decent, this entire thread and opportunity will crumble right under our feet.

Alright consider it done good sir, I used your post as the outline for the plan and I can update that as well. (I don't mind since I am already highlighting posts)

I never noticed our social links at the bottom. They should still be broadcasted on the front page, because how many people make it to the bottom of the page, I didn't even notice they were there.

Having them on the bottom of the page is convenient, but some fancy linky links on the front page will give them more presence.

Back