Distance (arcade racer)

Damashki

Distance is an arcade racer being developed for for Windows/Mac/Linux. In this game, you control a vehicle that has the ability to boost, jump, rotate, fly, and even drive along the sides of buildings and other obstacles. While it is a racing game, you're goal is also to try to stay alive while moving along the track as obstacles can appear out of nowhere. It is a "spiritual successor" to a game called Nitronic Rush created by a group of students from the Digipen Institute of Technology, which out of the group three of them have stuck together after graduation to create this and start their own indie group.

The game expands on what their previous game has to offer, so if you'd like to get a feel of what the game will be like, you can download Nitronic Rush and try it out for free. Currently, they're trying to get enough funding to continue working on the game through Kickstarter. Here is a list of some of the features that will be implemented into the game, many of which were lacking from the previous game:

• Multiplayer: LAN, Online, and Split Screen. Modes include classic racing, tag, capture the flag, stunt mode, other cooperative modes not currently explained
  • Level Editor/Modding Tools: Game comes with a level editor to create your own levels and share with others, and will be modder friendly for those who wish to add or edit things within the world
  • Exploration: They're aiming to give the world within the game a sense of atmosphere through providing a story and allowing you to discover things as you explore for alternative paths
  • Updated Visuals and Atmosphere: Self explanatory
  • New soundtrack: The original game had some pretty great music for it. Looks like they'll be getting their music composer to create a new set of music to accompany this.
  • Controller Support: Unlike the first game, they're going to add support for more controllers instead of limiting you to a keyboard or a 360 controller.

I had quite a bit of fun playing the original game they created even though it lacked the multiplayer experience. That being said, I think this would be a great game for our community to play every now and then as a game night. At the moment of posting this, they have 13 days left for their funding page and are a bit short of their goal, so anyone who is interested in this game should try to share it with anyone they know~

Links for people who like links:
Distance Website
Kickstarter Page with details on rewards for backing them
Stream Greenlight Page
Nitronic Rush (srsly, go try it. it's free. :p )

I'm going to buy this, due to the fact that I haven't played a good arcade racing game in years. I've always been a fan of games like Need For Speed, and Gran Turismo. The only thing that I don't like about this game is that they are basically building it for PC, but you will still need to use an Xbox controller if you want to enjoy it.

Here's another pre-alpha vid they released for their game:
3 days left and 5k left to go for their funding, so I'm pretty excited. Definitely going to drive tshin off a few tracks once it comes out. :p

Alpha was released recently, and it looks like it might be a nice game to play with the community. :eek:
Here's two videos showing singleplayer and a multiplayer mode in its current form:

Back