Drones

Serenity595

Drones.

Should we blow them up before they take over our planet and enslave us or should we accept our mechanical overlords?

Discuss. :D

Yes we should get rid of all of the drones before they're even given a chance to mine all of Earth's resources. I mean just look at them.
drone.jpg

They're so MENACING!!!

(I'm sorry I know Serenity threads are supposed to be serious but its early on and I couldn't resist)

This was disappointing, Serenity. You have a reputation to uphold.
<3

Sorry. XD I usually have some long article on the subject written down but I honestly don't know enough about drones to have an informed opinion.

EDIT: I wanted to know what other people thought about the subject. :)

At any rate, if something is intelligent enough to enslave the human race, we deserve to be enslaved.

The superior ones shall dominate. There is no "but we're human and therefore better."

If you can't defend yourself, you'll die. It's as simple as that.

We're already enslaved. Don't kid yourself. It makes no difference if it is a human or a robot controlled by a human who cracks the whip.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said:
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.

We're already enslaved. Don't kid yourself. It makes no difference if it is a human or a robot controlled by a human who cracks the whip.
It's a lie to say that this "slavery" couldn't be taken up several degrees to make it more efficient. 1600's African slavery differs greatly than the "slavery" we currently are in.

It's a lie to say that this "slavery" couldn't be taken up several degrees to make it more efficient. 1600's African slavery differs greatly than the "slavery" we currently are in.
Really? You had to provide food, water, and housing for those slaves. Today, the slaves pay for their own stuff, and pay for the ability to work for you.

Really? You had to provide food, water, and housing for those slaves. Today, the slaves pay for their own stuff, and pay for the ability to work for you.
Or the slaves can take a day off or work, file for disability, live off of the government, etc, etc.

Today's slaves have free will. Of course, this free will is calculated and regulated (which isn't really free will, but still).

Or the slaves can take a day off or work, file for disability, live off of the government, etc, etc.

Today's slaves have free will. Of course, this free will is calculated and regulated (which isn't really free will, but still).
Those that live off the government are hardly free. They've been confused into thinking they've got it all worked out. File for disability? Holy crap, have you actually tried that? At least the old-time slave owners had the decency to kill you quickly if you weren't going to recover in a speedy manner. Those that go onto disability can't even get assisted suicide.

And as for taking a day off...yeah, no. You really can't afford that....

No, today's slave market is much more efficient.

Those that live off the government are hardly free. They've been confused into thinking they've got it all worked out. File for disability? Holy crap, have you actually tried that? At least the old-time slave owners had the decency to kill you quickly if you weren't going to recover in a speedy manner. Those that go onto disability can't even get assisted suicide.

And as for taking a day off...yeah, no. You really can't afford that....

No, today's slave market is much more efficient.
Hmm, perhaps. But it's still a very long and drawn out process to get today's slaves to work harder. Involving tax raises, inflation, minimum wage changes, etc, etc.

What do you guys think of aerial drones being used in warfare? Will one day all military aircraft be replaced by these things?

There is something much greater and darker that enslaves us, and it is neither man nor machine.

But I digress... :p

What do you guys think of aerial drones being used in warfare? Will one day all military aircraft be replaced by these things?

There is something much greater and darker that enslaves us, and it is neither man nor machine.

On the drone part, not likely because humans will always be better than machines, simply because for these drones to function they need a human at the controls; and even if there are self aware drones, simply go 3 laws on em to keep them in line. i'll expand further if anyone wants.

As for what enslaves us. it's The all Mighty dollar.

On the drone part, not likely because humans will always be better than machines, simply because for these drones to function they need a human at the controls; and even if there are self aware drones, simply go 3 laws on em to keep them in line. i'll expand further if anyone wants.

But I would assume that in certain functions, a man would not be better than a machine. However, it brings up the question: if aerial drones replaced traditional military aircraft, what would happen if someone hacked them (if that's even possible)?

I honestly detest the use of drones in warfare. In regards to the UAVs used in the military, there are two ways for them to operate. The first method of operating the drones is by having them be completely automatic and ruled only by the on board computers and whatever target they were given. In this situation, I feel that it removes the human element that should be present before a life is taken for any reason. Even soldiers have to make judgement calls, which is something that modern advances haven't managed to allow machines to do. The second method of operating the drones is similar to an RC plane, where an operator on a ground controls the drone. While this doesn't remove the human element, it still has the part of drones I strongly dislike. With drones of any form, we don't even have to have troops on the ground. Using drones to fight is essentially cheating warfare. History is written by the victors, but those victors will always be one of a few strong nations because any government that comes out with an opposing viewpoint (correct and moral or no) we just missile the shit out of them. I honestly believe nothing like the the American Revolution will ever have the opportunity to happen again. The second someone stands up to any first world country and it's tyranny, there's a chance they'll just have a missile dropped on top of them.

In regards to slavery, we are slaves in a sense. We are allowed to have whatever possessions we work for, but most people are paid a small portion of what they make for their employers. We're stuck in a stale, corrupt system where disobeying the master (government) will get you killed or ruin your life. I can't accurately speak about legislatures all around the world, but in America, it seems that a huge number of laws are devoted to pointless, unmerited restrictions. There is a quote in the declaration of independence of the USA which says "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." People were told to overthrow any corrupt system, but saying certain things about the government is illegal now.

Sorry that my post is largely based on examples of the USA, but using my country of residence as the example seems like the natural thing to do.

In regards to the 3 rules thing, no code is perfect and no code lasts forever. If we create AI, it will eventually fuck us over. If we were to make fully intelligent robots, they would be the same as humans in every respect except the shell we wear. It only takes 1 defective AI to end the world.

I honestly detest the use of drones in warfare. In regards to the UAVs used in the military, there are two ways for them to operate. The first method of operating the drones is by having them be completely automatic and ruled only by the on board computers and whatever target they were given. In this situation, I feel that it removes the human element that should be present before a life is taken for any reason. Even soldiers have to make judgement calls, which is something that modern advances haven't managed to allow machines to do. The second method of operating the drones is similar to an RC plane, where an operator on a ground controls the drone. While this doesn't remove the human element, it still has the part of drones I strongly dislike. With drones of any form, we don't even have to have troops on the ground. Using drones to fight is essentially cheating warfare. History is written by the victors, but those victors will always be one of a few strong nations because any government that comes out with an opposing viewpoint (correct and moral or no) we just missile the shit out of them. I honestly believe nothing like the the American Revolution will ever have the opportunity to happen again. The second someone stands up to any first world country and it's tyranny, there's a chance they'll just have a missile dropped on top of them.

In regards to slavery, we are slaves in a sense. We are allowed to have whatever possessions we work for, but most people are paid a small portion of what they make for their employers. We're stuck in a stale, corrupt system where disobeying the master (government) will get you killed or ruin your life. I can't accurately speak about legislatures all around the world, but in America, it seems that a huge number of laws are devoted to pointless, unmerited restrictions. There is a quote in the declaration of independence of the USA which says "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." People were told to overthrow any corrupt system, but saying certain things about the government is illegal now.

Sorry that my post is largely based on examples of the USA, but using my country of residence as the example seems like the natural thing to do.

In regards to the 3 rules thing, no code is perfect and no code lasts forever. If we create AI, it will eventually fuck us over. If we were to make fully intelligent robots, they would be the same as humans in every respect except the shell we wear. It only takes 1 defective AI to end the world.
First we hit each other. Then we threw rocks. Made swords. Made bows, cannons, then guns. Machine guns, air planes, armored tanks.

There's a REASON why we have technology to take lives, because the further we remove ourselves from the killings, the safer and more efficient the killings can take place. Less casualties, faster/more efficient warfare.

Where do you draw the line? Should we settle wars between multi trillion dollar countries with fists? Why such idealistic views on militaristic technology?

First we hit each other. Then we threw rocks. Made swords. Made bows, cannons, then guns. Machine guns, air planes, armored tanks.

There's a REASON why we have technology to take lives, because the further we remove ourselves from the killings, the safer and more efficient the killings can take place. Less casualties, faster/more efficient warfare.

Where do you draw the line? Should we settle wars between multi trillion dollar countries with fists? Why such idealistic views on militaristic technology?
The current superpowers are miles ahead of any other nations. My issue isn't with efficient and safe warfare, my issue is with the complete stagnation that removing humans from war has/is/will caused/causing/cause. The power distribution around the world is more or less set where it is and it's extremely rare for a new group to have any chance at competing on the world stage. We're creating a society where the only way for power to seriously change hands is through an apocalyptic event.

I'll be the first to admit I'm an idealist in this sense. I despise those who pick on people weaker than them and despise all of the political bullshit that makes any nation moderate the others. In America's case, we're pulling out our proverbially massive dick and beating people with it just so everyone knows how big it is.

Back