Dungeons and Dragons Character Help

Cheese7710

So I am going to be joining a D&D Campaign soon (I think 3.5 but may be 5th). I was joking around with the DM about a funny picture I saw of a tarantula with a stick in its hands and a bugle as a hat, and after a while we decided I could be a spider wizard in his campaign if I choose, as long as I follow a set of rules:

1. My size must be large. This will make going to cities difficult, but may help with intimidating checks.

2. I am venomus, and can supply venom to my allies, but the process is done by literally milking my fangs, and it is unpleasant.

3. I get a +10 to climb checks and +10 AC due to my exoskeleton, but I cannot wear regular armor or use regular weapons (I can get custom fitted armor, but this would be difficult as I am a gigantic spider)

4. I cannot speak common without a spell or item (still need to ask about reading and comprehending common)

5. I can be ridden as a mount, but unless a check says otherwise, I can choose to deny others this privilege.

I will have a second character made in case my spider dies, but I was looking for advice as to what would be some good spells to take (I'm not experienced with spell casters), skills to work on, and general survivability tips.

*Note* I'm going to ask him if I can make webs without the use of the spell. If not it's okay, but I find it useful.

is there a monster template you're working with for this spider form, or are you going off the GM's suggestions of how it'll be?

I'm more familiar with Pathfinder than DnD, but i'm sure there's an analagous set of Shadow-based conjuration you could pick up. it'd be pretty thematically appropriate for a spider-like wizard to have Quickened Phantasmal Web (or its equivalent) as an accessible thing.

feats you should consider picking up, depending on what level everyone starts out as should include Silent Spell, Spell Focus (choose school of magic), Still Spell, Quicken Spell. The majority of these should be in SRD 3.5 and are Metamagic

as for other useful things, a Hat of Disguise is a very smart investment for any fiendish, non-standard PC!

is there a monster template you're working with for this spider form, or are you going off the GM's suggestions of how it'll be?

I'm more familiar with Pathfinder than DnD, but i'm sure there's an analagous set of Shadow-based conjuration you could pick up. it'd be pretty thematically appropriate for a spider-like wizard to have Quickened Phantasmal Web (or its equivalent) as an accessible thing.

feats you should consider picking up, depending on what level everyone starts out as should include Silent Spell, Spell Focus (choose school of magic), Still Spell, Quicken Spell. The majority of these should be in SRD 3.5 and are Metamagic

as for other useful things, a Hat of Disguise is a very smart investment for any fiendish, non-standard PC!
As far as I know, it's entirely what the DM decides. If he says I'm going to be based off of a template, then I'll be based off of a template. And I'll have to look into that hat and possibly some item to make me speak common.

Also, as I'm not the most experienced with D&D compared to others, does a large spider move faster or slower than normal sized humans?

What's your level Adjustment?
This DM usually starts everyone at Level 1.

Back