• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Eagle Pass: Public Tree Farm

V_Five_V

Design Revision!!!

I created this design due to the clear need for logs for both public projects and personal projects. This is a multi-story public tree farm in eagle pass. The tree farm would allow near-continuous log production. Obviously. the tree farm would be limited to those with eagle pass building permits.

The design is simple and allows for almost 80% efficiency in tree growth per area. The underground structure is 40x40. The underground ceiling is 8 blocks high; this allows for full access to the tree.

There are four ways to go underground.
1) Log cabin
2) Outhouse
3) Barn
4) Well

The top area would have the appearance of a classical farm. The farm will probably be fenced in with a small gravel road and cobble path leading to the house. Maybe add flower beds and a flag pole for looks.

Let me know what you think as well as the usefulness of this tree farm to the community.

Thank you,

Five

The Design:

Below is layout of the tree planting. Green is the tree base location. Yellow is torches. Dark grey is cobblestone (torches will be on cobblestone). Light grey is smooth stone. Dark brown is the log roof. Light brown is wood planks. Black is holes to change levels using ladders.

EPTreeFarm-1.gif

I like the idea and am all for it. We can spice up the outside as we go, so it will look more interesting than just stone.

Lack of trees in the outlands? You don't go out very far in the outlands, do you? From the teleporter to the outlands from Oxytown, if you head north, following the water, you'll run into tons of trees. If you go straight across the water, there are trees. I know it's not an enforced rule in this world like it was in the old world, but I still follow it: If you chop down a tree, replace it. That'll help with the lack of trees. Naturally, if you're clearing out an area, then you don't need to replace the trees, but if you're just needing wood, then replant a sapling at the area where you chopped the tree. Also, take the whole tree, don't leave floating tree mushrooms.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're idea is a bad one, it's brilliant, in fact. I just find the excuse...not a very good one. Sorry for teh trollz...

No problem Moondoggy23. I appreciate any constructive criticism. I do understand that there are a lot of trees in the outland. I would just like to have instant access to a large quantity of trees. Also it would be nice to not hear a "sssssss" when im cutting down trees.

The rule to replant will def be required if people cut down the trees in the farm.

EDIT: I do see my mistake in my wording and will fix it right now.

I'm confused as to why this is necessary. The point of having cities is so that you don't do your resource gathering there, you do it in the outlands. That's the point of having the outlands. If you don't want to hear a "SSSSSSSSS" while you're trying to gather lumber, go play classic.

I agree with Crane. If you don't want to play Survival, you should play Classic. Speak with the CE about a personal tree farm, but a public one ruins the survival aspect of Survival.

I'm confused as to why this is necessary. The point of having cities is so that you don't do your resource gathering there, you do it in the outlands. That's the point of having the outlands. If you don't want to hear a "SSSSSSSSS" while you're trying to gather lumber, go play classic.
I agree with Crane. If you don't want to play Survival, you should play Classic. Speak with the CE about a personal tree farm, but a public one ruins the survival aspect of Survival.

First off, yes you can go into the outlands to cut down trees and Survive. The tree farm is for quick and efficient (80%) production of logs. The fact that there are no zombies is a plus but not the main point.

Second, the tree farm is not personal its PUBLIC.

Third, If the admins or CE don't want me to build a PUBLIC tree farm in Eagle Pass or any city/free zone, I will move to the outlands.

Fourth, "Go play in classic" Really? That point is not evan a valid point or a constructive criticism. That would be like me telling you, "Why do you build in the cities? Too afraid of Zombies?" It doesn't make any common sense.

Fifth, I play Survival because I enjoy it and enjoy this community.

I don't build in cities because its safe there, I build in cities because its not going to get wiped off the face of the internet.

A giant tree farm is something that is not needed inside a city.

Why don't we just have mines inside of the cities, for quick and efficient access to cobblestone?

So does a public transportation and highway system. Its for convenience. Same as a public tree farm. Same as a city. Its for convenience. Stores, banks, hotels? That's all industry. So why not a wood industry?

You would argue that people in real life would gather and make such a thing as a small city like Eagle Pass, and in real life survival, someone would find a way to farm trees for a steady supply of wood.

Your argument is invalid.

You want to build in cities so it doesn't get wiped? Huh, why don't you go build in classic? Oh, wait my bad what a stupid statement of me...

Yes the tree farm is underground. It is very well concealed I assure you. It is outside the city limits i.e. mine-cart track. I will follow the rules when it comes to dimensions, obviously.

Let's see tree farm is in a small area where the resources regrow. Mine covers a large area and doesn't grow back.

Enough said. I won't reply to both of your future comments about this topic unless you ask a serious constructive question.

So does a public transportation and highway system. Its for convenience. Same as a public tree farm. Same as a city. Its for convenience. Stores, banks, hotels? That's all industry. So why not a wood industry?

You would argue that people in real life would gather and make such a thing as a small city like Eagle Pass, and in real life survival, someone would find a way to farm trees for a steady supply of wood.

Your argument is invalid.
I've always thought that the public transportation system in the cities was pointless. As for the highway system, that's more to keep the peace, then anything else.

In real life, farms such as this would not be placed in an urban area. They would be build where land was more plentiful, and then transported to areas where the supplies are needed. It's called supply chain, look it up. Not everything needs to be produced right where it is used, you're just being lazy.

My argument is that the entire point of the cities is to create a place for people keep their houses and the outlands are for the gathering of resources.

You may think that there is plenty of room in Eagle's pass for your tree farm right now, but you're taking away the potential house for someone, just for something that could very easily be build in the outlands. Put it near the portal in the outlands, the two portals you'll have to go though will be shorter than the walk you would have to take to the outskirts of Eagle's pass. That's not to mention that you would be helping everyone in the survival server, not just residents of eagle's pass.

can ppl please not bicker for five seconds over every little city plan? they are just ideas and they give ppl options

point sides make valid points.

1. everyone likes convience and a tree farm would give a city function and life, rather than just a bunch of empty house lying around.

2. you take away space from people, that want to build in a nice city

Being resources manager of the city, I like the idea, however it will be much smaller than designed, will go underground, and this will be viable because due to some rather clever engineering in outlands I have a large supply of bones ( bonesmeal = instant tree growth ), so we will make one, just smaller and unnoticeable and will take up no space. If people care about it they will use it (it will be annouced I guess. Remember that I made a farm, and not that many people use it so, its not like survival mode is being ruined or anything. ( the farm will be downsized later for housing )

I love cities, but I love them better when they function. :)
Discussion is always open of course.

I, too, can see both sides of the argument. Though I find the reasoning behind the farm in the inital post to be weak, the idea of the farm I think is a good one. It would seem to me that our cities/towns are needing to reach their next logical progression. Since there's a "government" in place (Cydonian Empire) for Eagle Pass, and we've established an Interior Department of sorts (MCC), we need to begin zoning our cities and creating a zoning commission to do so.

One of the things about survival that I like to think is that it's the wild. Untamed and untouched by mankind, and the objective of the game (or one of them) is to tame it and mold the world to suit your needs. Obviously, since The Outlands is to be wiped every so often, the idea of putting a lot of effort in building anything short of a small hut to survive the nite from mobs seems relatively futile. With these cities, we are able to build our homes and store our goods without fear of losing them to mobs, or robbers (most of the time), or fires. If there are certain resources we are likely to use more often than not, why not have an area within the determined city to collect those resources?

With zoning, we can mark certain areas for agriculture (tree farm, cactus farm, wheat, et. al.) that can be public if the person who builds said farm so chooses. I can't remember exactly who, but someone had mentioned in a previous thread (I think it was Kilmanan) that our cities should have "green areas," which could act like parks or farms, or whatever that city's mayor/zoning commission so chooses. With zoning, we would be able to mark areas for agriculture, residential and public domain (minecart system, roads, government buildings, stations, et.al.) and change these zones as needed to accommodate population growth. I think priotity should be given to residences and public use before zoning any green areas for agriculture, since people want to build houses in the cities first.

Don't get me wrong, I venture to The Outlands all the time to gather resources or mine for cobble or even wood. Although, I do have my own personal tree farm at my house in Oxytown that I will goto from time to time instead of going to The Outlands just because of the convenience of it. If we permit some agriculture to exist in our cities, there's less likely a chance for someone to build them underground, underneath someone's house and creating a bunch of other issues.

Back