Empire 9000 Server

Tsysin

So I'm looking for feedback on this (good, bad, indifferent). Most of the hardcore survival MC players know that @DOS622 and I started a server over a year ago that incorporated may of the worlds from the popular time of Team9000 and some of the older worlds combined. Some players stop by, enjoy the moment or leave, or continue to play as it's one of the few places older friends can play together...The problem is it that is' white list only.

This has been fun and we've enjoyed playing it and seeing old places. We like being able to revisit old locations, old builds and don't want to loose that; but we all enjoy new fresh worlds which usually causes more people to play.

I guess my question to you is if you were to play would you want

1) only want a new fresh world
2) want a fresh world, with spectator access to the old worlds
3) want a fresh world, with old worlds being added two month later for access and visitation
4) something else I haven't thought of.

Not sure where this is leading but wanted to get thoughts around it

Right now I want to keep working on the same projects I've been working for months, just in version 1.10.2. A new world isn't my preference, although I guess I always find new projects in a new world (but I never ever forget about the old ones, it's a problem for me!). I don't care if everyone else is in the other worlds, although I suppose this time around I would probably see the new world anyway when I have to do admin stuff in it :D

In these discussions about new worlds, I think I always bring up the question: why don't you just go out into the wilderness without your stuff and start over? This time around I have a new perspective on that one, because I did that accidentally when I started building the road from Serpent's Pass. I didn't take any iron with me, and I was just looking for NPC villages so I could use and expand their farms. I didn't start entirely from scratch but I was doing a lot of old fashioned farming and mining even though I have a lot of diamonds back in the cities. Maybe the problem is that I'm just too lazy and I'd rather go mining for iron than have a 2 day round trip to get some, whereas others would not be able to resist the temptation to go and pick up all their diamond gear?

I'd much prefer a new map personally before I would spend my time playing. I made my peace with that old map a year before the server even shut down. I'm not sure how many people would actually play on a new server though with how many people have left and that is my biggest problem: a lack of people means no real server.

From what i've seen, especially when Csi and myself had a server that used all the old worlds with a portal hub to each one; it didn't work. The main concern people had with it was self imposed isolation. people choose what worlds to go to, leaving others empty and pointless.

While that being said, I noticed in the 1.3? World that contained Lufenia, Ascension, etc, only about 1/4 of the towns created were actually finished. all the other towns were little more than a rail from spawn and a house.

My point is, if you do a fresh world, how long would it be up for? would there be periodic wipes? would there be protections?

TL;DR if new world, decide soon how it'll be run. if multi world? no idea.

The main concern people had with it was self imposed isolation. people choose what worlds to go to, leaving others empty and pointless.

I guess that's part of the reason why I didn't want to go and add all the old worlds to the current server all at once, and instead - as I mentioned to you recently, I think - I figured we might just add one more old world once everyone who was playing got bored with the one we're currently using (reunion/reboot).

The other part of the reason is I'm lazy :)

While that being said, I noticed in the 1.3? World that contained Lufenia, Ascension, etc, only about 1/4 of the towns created were actually finished. all the other towns were little more than a rail from spawn and a house.

I thought that things not being finished pretty much applied to every world? It's certainly the case that I have unfinished projects in every world, like I said in my previous post. I rarely even finished the rails :) On the other hand, The Empire has both finished and unfinished projects in every world, I think, but that never stopped people from getting bored and not being excited about coming back to finish their builds :)

Haha while i suppose /all/ of that is true, if i were to make one solid suggestion for a new server/world;

Don't do the Southbridge/Newbank NumberXNumber world limit thing. was awkward.

You mean how the cities themselves are of a limited size? I think that was to discourage mining in them, and I guess to make them seem like a city where you are actually near other people rather than a whole other world.

Or are you referring to the reboot/reunion server world 8000 block thing, i.e. "we pre-generated to +/- 8000 blocks from spawn, and you can further than that, but we'll wipe past +/- 8000 when we upgrade"? Not that it got wiped anyway. I guess that was to make it easy for people to find new terrain, but since they pre-generated the terrain with a 1.8 snapshot, on upgrade to 1.8 all the new types of stone, the coarse dirt and the ocean temples all appeared anyway so nobody had to go past 8000. Also, I guess another way to make it possible for people to find new terrain is give them a map - for those who haven't seen it, I generated this map to help everyone find where new chunks can be generated in the Hinterlands overworld:

koOE370.png

1 pixel = 16 blocks
grid lines every 1024 blocks
the white grid lines are at x = 0 and z = 0

I guess wiping also means that if there are terrain discontinuities, they'll all be in a known area rather than spread out everywhere, but it looks like at least the 1.9 - 1.10 upgrade doesn't cause discontinuities anyway, and Allimon says they don't seem to happen much these days.

You mean how the cities themselves are of a limited size? I think that was to discourage mining in them, and I guess to make them seem like a city where you are actually near other people rather than a whole other world.

Or are you referring to the reboot/reunion server world 8000 block thing, i.e. "we pre-generated to +/- 8000 blocks from spawn, and you can further than that, but we'll wipe past +/- 8000 when we upgrade"? Not that it got wiped anyway. I guess that was to make it easy for people to find new terrain, but since they pre-generated the terrain with a 1.8 snapshot, on upgrade to 1.8 all the new types of stone, the coarse dirt and the ocean temples all appeared anyway so nobody had to go past 8000. Also, I guess another way to make it possible for people to find new terrain is give them a map - for those who haven't seen it, I generated this map to help everyone find where new chunks can be generated in the Hinterlands overworld:

koOE370.png

1 pixel = 16 blocks
grid lines every 1024 blocks
the white grid lines are at x = 0 and z = 0

I guess wiping also means that if there are terrain discontinuities, they'll all be in a known area rather than spread out everywhere, but it looks like at least the 1.9 - 1.10 upgrade doesn't cause discontinuities anyway, and Allimon says they don't seem to happen much these days.
in regards to a world border and world gen in general if you were to pregen with the mod ClimateControl/Geographicraft you would be able to allow for climate bands, logical biome placement (no deserts next to tundra) and actual oceans if that is something that would be interesting. This could be done with the server still being vanilla too and if you needed help with generating the map I would be glad to be of assistance. Pic below of what the mod would do:
Es7hbu.png

They should've made it ice on all four sides like the flat earth theories :D (well, if it was a rectangular flat earth)

in general dont do a limited town size; i didnt really care for it, but thats just me lol

But then how would the city be any different to the rest of the world, i.e. the Outlands/Hinterlands, other than the fact that the city allows chest protections and has no monsters?

But then how would the city be any different to the rest of the world, i.e. the Outlands/Hinterlands, other than the fact that the city allows chest protections and has no monsters?

Thats just it; it wouldn't. the only thing keeping mobs out of your city is the border protections placed on the amont of land you claim.

In my experience, it just feels more realistic and "together" with the rest of the world

Thats just it; it wouldn't. the only thing keeping mobs out of your city is the border protections placed on the amont of land you claim.

In my experience, it just feels more realistic and "together" with the rest of the world
So, what I'm gathering from this you wish to have a world much like the era with Biodome and Phoenix Peak (I forget the main town this world is named after) where the towns were inside the wilderness and cities grew much more organically and it forced some measure of cooperation between members of the server for land disputes and such?

Oh I see what you mean, the cities wouldn't be separate worlds. Yeah, I like that better too.

I guess if we went back to the start of the Reunion Server thread, we'd see the argument for having separate city worlds :)

So yeah, as babybacon suggested: Towny? The Reunion Server thread definitely had lots of anti-Towny people in it. I think the issues were mostly with collaboration between members of different towns - it was hard to make it possible for people to build in two different towns. That's why we had a custom Wooty-written town management system on the 1.3 server and a whitelisted server with manual admin management of towns in 1.5 LTS.

bacon, I assume when you said Towny without the economy stuff, you meant free plots, so you could expand your town infinitely? I'm not sure how much I like the idea of it being completely free to expand your town. Maybe cheaper than the 1.0 world (10-20 diamonds per 16x16 plot I think?) would be nicer.

Since on the current server grief is no longer allowed in the Hinterlands/Outlands, you can pretty much just build in that way anyway without needing Towny protection, and in fact Allimon and tbarius have started a town (or something) out there, and I have built up 6 NPC villages along my road from SP to varying degrees.

You wouldn't have guessed it from reading this thread, but a bunch of existing players on the server were interested in playing in the 1.0 world again, so I'm pretty close to finishing adding that as a nicer, partially-ungriefed place to play. The existing worlds (other than the griefed 1.0 world) will stay. As before, PM Tsysin or I if you want to join.

Back