European Cities lacking Skylines?

Kris

Have any of you noticed that European cities tend to not have skylines as compared to other cities of similar populations elsewhere in the world? Not to say they don't have skylines entirely, but they are definitely on a smaller scale compared to other cities. And it's not due to lack of money or businesses either.

Why do you guys think this is? (Especially people living in Europe)

I've heard it was because there are many historical buildings in Europe that should be preserved.
INB4: Look at London! Paris! (Still smaller skylines for their city size. All European cities remind me of DC.)

hmph, dunno what you're talking about
Riga, Latvia:
Skyline_Riga_night_1_z.jpg
riga%20skyline.jpg
Skyline_riga_latvia_4_z.jpg
downtown%20view%20from%20the%20sant%20peter%20cathedral%20riga,%20latvia.jpg
images

Riga, Latvia:
Skyline_Riga_night_1_z.jpg
riga%20skyline.jpg
Skyline_riga_latvia_4_z.jpg
downtown%20view%20from%20the%20sant%20peter%20cathedral%20riga,%20latvia.jpg
images
Not to say that isn't a beautiful skyline, but it certainly isn't the steryotypical commercial skyline that we see in similarly sized cities of Atlanta, Charlotte, Chiba, (I don't know anymore cities about the size of Riga off the top of my head, and looking them up is painful on mobile.)

He's talking about tall buildings, not fancy ones. Which that doesn't exactly have very tall ones.
Not to say that isn't a beautiful skyline, but it certainly isn't the steryotypical commercial skyline that we see in similarly sized cities of Atlanta, Charlotte, Chiba, (I don't know anymore cities about the size of Riga off the top of my head, and looking them up is painful on mobile.)
ah, fair enough. In that case I'd say it's because most of the European cities are much older, even after all the wars a lot of the old buildings keep standing, and as you said, they want to preserve them.

Back