Foreign Movie Thread

Miguel

So recently in my french class, we started watching some famouse French movies. If you guys have any good foreign movies, feel free to drop the names here! Some of my favorites are:

La Placard
le-placard-video.jpg

Jean de Bonnet:
Jean_de_Florette.jpg

Manon des Sources (sequel to Jean de Bonnet):
yHi16Bp5fTvaYahaW4eqeV9IJtJ.jpg

Après Vous:
apresv1.jpg

One of the most memorable foreign movies (excluding anime and what not) to me would most definitely be Troll Hunter. It sounds like the cheesiest most generic movie you've ever heard of, but it's very surprisingly well done and entertaining to watch. You honestly feel like you are witnessing a real investigation into Trolls, and the fact that it takes place in Norway makes it feel even more plausible. There are a couple cheesy aspects of course, but honestly it's all outshined by the well done pacing and very thrilling moments spread throughout the movie.

MV5BMTkyMTgxNzIwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYyNjM5NA@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Assuming that with foreign you mean non-american, then I suppose this Belgian film is foreign haha. This is an amazingly funny film and was very well recieved here in Belgium.

Gonna have to plug a Guillermo Del Toro movie here.
Pan%27s_Labyrinth.jpg

This movie, El laberinto del fauno, is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's one of my favourites. It has great direction, great story and a gorgeous soundtrack.

"but taco this film is called PANS LABRINTTH"

No, its real title is El laberinto del fauno, because it's made by Spanish-speakers, for Spanish-speakers, although the subtitles were written by the director himself. As a speaker of both languages, the subtitles are A+ rating, making it a great experience for everyone. It's an AWESOME movie. If you haven't seen it, please do.

Gonna have to plug a Guillermo Del Toro movie here.
Pan%27s_Labyrinth.jpg

This movie, El laberinto del fauno, is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's one of my favourites. It has great direction, great story and a gorgeous soundtrack.

"but taco this film is called PANS LABRINTTH"

No, its real title is El laberinto del fauno, because it's made by Spanish-speakers, for Spanish-speakers, although the subtitles were written by the director himself. It's an AWESOME movie. If you haven't seen it, please do.

I have seen this and it's amazing!! 10/10 would watch again!

My Chinese teacher loves original Chiense action films and forces us to watch them instead of actually teaching us the language. Anyway Im gonna be watching one tomorrow so Ill try and get the name so I can post the title. Just be warned: chances are it is a crappy rip off of the Dark Knight.

War films war films war films. My top foreign movies that aren't anime movies are mostly war films and they would probably be

Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

Stalingrad (1993)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108211/

Das Boot (1981)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

And while not entirely foreign, Letters from Iwo Jima is a incredibly well done account of the Japanese side on Iwo Jima with japanese spoken through out the film, depsite being directed by Clint Eastwood
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498380/

Yo. Taco's back with another film.

r6TrOeZ.jpg

Here's a really bad English Dub Trailer for the movie:
Here's a better Japanese trailer which more accurately captures the feel of the movie, even though I can't understand a word of it:

おおかみこどもの雨と雪. (Ōkami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki) That's Japanese for you people. It means Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki.

This anime movie is about a woman who falls in love with a werewolf and has two werewolf puppy baby things that can change what form to be in at will, be it human or wolf.

THE WEREWOLF DIES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MOVIE. IT'S SAD.

It's probably another one of my favorite movies, if not my absolute favorite. It's a movie that will make you laugh, cry and very effectively builds a relationship with the characters in a very dynamic and realistic way. The soundtrack is amazing and the animation is just drop dead gorgeous. It's adorable. It's sad. It's happy. It will make you weep tears. I don't care who you are.

Go watch it. Now.

And don't pussy out and watch the English Dub. Get yourself some Japanese audio and some subtitles for the best effect.

Don't know if it counts, but The Raid: Redemption is one of my favorite foreign films.
It's been said to be the greatest action movie in decades and I'm not gonna lie, it lives up to the hype!

Here's the Red Band trailer.

"Der Schuh des Manitu" is a German western-style comedy movie. It's great if you want to have some laughs.
(I don't know if it's been translated into English, probably not)
Here's a small scene: How to become an Indian warrior

Another hilarious movie is "Lissi und der wilde Kaiser", also German. May be a bit childish but I like it.

So if you coincidentally are learning German right now you can watch these.

Back