Game development

I have an idea I want to work on this summer. I will post more information about it later today, but dies anyone know how to make a random dungeon generator with the same rooms in RPG Maker VX Ace? like, a floor that has a kitchen, living room, and bedroom but their locations swap every time you enter it?

I've been forming a particularly large project for absolutely ages but I'm at a loss for where to take it next. With crappy skills in programming, modelling and sub-par artistic talent I've been unable to take the idea to the next level. I hope some of you forum stragglers can help me out.

Dumbed down to the bare minimum, it's pretty much Skyrim in space. Big universe to explore, lots of aliens and very open-world. That being said, however, the actual story and the majority of the game content is very different. It's current 'code name' is Home.

Below is what I've randomly jotted down over the last couple of weeks. It is in now way, shape or form completed and there are some pieces missing but I hope to update this post with more information soon depending on the interest levels. The stuff I've written is very pitch-like considering I wrote it as if I was writing an idea pitch.
My ultimate goal is to get enough people interested to maybe take it to a crowdfunding site like kickstarter. My hopes are very high.

[collapse=HOME]

Be warned, the original concept is a MMO, but I'll be starting it out as a strictly single-player game.

CONTENT

Traverse the Yl Arst Sector in your quest, either following the main story line or disregarding it completely and following side quests. Play with your fellow star treaders or go solo or even battle against hundreds of other players in the quest for who the strongest criminal in the galaxy is.
YOU are the main character, path your own way through the galaxy. The possibilities are endless. Choose from a wide range of personality types, classes and even pick your own species and look. You can either follow the main quest line and find out how hostile the Yl Arst Sector really is or go your own way and jump from planet to planet completing side quests.
With a wide variety of classes at your disposal you can explore the galaxy your own way. On your own or with friends.
Are you more interested in discovery and exploring the unknown? Consider choosing the Explorer or Scientist classes. With born curiosity you have the opportunity to become a hailed discoverer, charting new systems and planets yet to be found and explore their surfaces for new and terrifying creatures. If you’re lucky enough, you might even stumble upon a new sentient species!
More interested in big guns and loaded paychecks? Then the life of a Mercenary or Pirate is for you! As either a Vigilante Mercenary/Bounty Hunter or Merciless Pirate, you can make your mark on the Yl Arst Sector.

Companions
There are countless companions scattered about the Yl Arst Sector, ranging from all backgrounds and walks of life. Hire up to 5 companions to join you on your journey and even make friends with them if you’re more interested in actual companionship. You can romance any companion you’d like or keep them at arms-length, the choice is up to you.

Main quest(single player)
Mysterious clues put you on the trail of a long lost civilization that disappeared eons ago to find out why they suddenly vanished from the cosmos. In an effort to find out the truth – and maybe earn a little money on the side – you’re caught in a very big picture and have to see it till the end. Who knows, you might just unintentionally save the known universe from annihilation.

CLASSES

Explorer
As a born explorer, the unknown excites you. On the edge of Wild Space, the Yl Arst sector is the perfect start to quench your thirst for the unknown.
A LIFE AMONG THE STARS! Explore the Yl Arst Sector to your hearts content and discover all there is to find.

Scientist
As a intellectual genius,

EDIBLE OR NAH?

Mercenary/Bounty Hunter
[background tba]
NANCY NO FRIENDS (WITH A GUN)! Criminal for hire

Pirate
As a plunderer of the universe, a pirate lives by their own laws. Join a crew or recruit companions and start one of your own.

SPECIES'

Krysonain
The dominant and indigenous species of Krysona, most commonly distinguished by their striking eyes, deep red, yellow or orange ochre skin, digitigrade legs and four arms. Their height and skin colour vary continent-to-continent. The average Krysonain is 8ft tall. They are technologically brilliant but also rely heavily on their spiritual connections and religion in day-to-day life.
Other Krysonain Art

Solan
A now extinct race that existed in the universe long before Krysonain’s rose to the surface of their planet, said to be an extremely advanced race that was once torn by war. It is said that their war wiped out their entire race, leaving behind remains of their once great civilizations and technology.

Siagnan
A very compassionate race. When their home-world was rendered uninhabitable due to an environmental catastrophe, they terraformed a nearby planet in their star system, making it their new home.

Tashmeren
An arrogant race of shape-shifters. They do not allow aliens to visit their home-world. Home-world is located within IAP space and relatively close to Elmora.

(3 or so more species' are to come.)

PLACES

Krysona
- Ormarr ghe Mahlem / Ormarr Desert [ desert of mirrors ]
- Ihli Catacombs
- Byrunarr [ Krysona’s mother planet ]
- Southern Continent
- Northern Continent

Elmora (galactic central)
A planet located in the center of IAP controlled space and is considered the center of all trade in the IAP. (also the center of galactic positioning systems)

Wild Lands
The uncharted regions beyond the Yl Arst sector and outside IAP jurisdiction.

[more tba]
[/collapse]
There is much, much more to come too. There's a lot of unessential things I didn't put up as well, like the planet descriptions + places and various other things that don't really matter at this point.

Last edited:
Time to post my idea. I have had this idea since May, and have been slowly working on it.

[collapse=Horror RPG Project]
[collapse=Plot]
Though my storyboard is a bit weak right now, my story I have so far is about a group of friends who must venture into a haunted, Japanese-style mansion to rescue the protagonist's sister or cousin or something (I know. Compelling story of the year. ) But in all seriousness, the protagonist and his group of friends (3-4 to start) must venture into the house to rescue her. There is only one issue...the house is completely sealed up. However, according to local lore, the house unlocks itself at midnight of each night and locks again the following morning 6 hours later.

When the party enters the house, they will almost immediately realize that the house is indeed cursed, as they are brought face to face with a shambling ghoul in the house's living area. Without proper weapons or combat skills to kill the creature of the night, one person grabs a nearby lead pipe and bashes the ghoul in the leg, the shock of the impact making them drop the pipe as well. the group flees the house, and rests for the rest of the night.

The following morning, the group reenters the house, and finds that the interior of the house has altered itself, and instead of finding the living room they discover a book that seems to be ancient. All of the pages are blank except one, a page which talks of a demon who lives in a human body to keep itself alive, and must switch bodies every few years to keep itself alive. This switch, the protagonist's sibling/cousin has been chosen. And now, it is up to your group of friends to save her from this accursed place.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Gameplay]
As the story suggests, this game is based in the concept of entering the house, exploring and grabbing what you can, and fleeing before 6 A.M. However, there are a few parts to this separated into two groupings, Night Life and Day Life:

[collapse=Night Life: Exploration]
You start off each night in the Lobby of the mansion at 12. The timer starts almost immediately, and moves at about one game hour equaling one real minute (at first). Due to this time restraint, you probably won't get much done, probably you will have time to explore one or two rooms and get a couple of keys or objects of interest. The timer still counts down during combat and during dialogue with the exception of boss battles and major cut scenes (most being the moments before a boss battle or ending the Night Life portion of that day). As you explore, you may obtain items that slow the flow of time, allowing better exploration.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Night Life: Combat]
Sometimes while exploring, you may encounter an enemy roaming the halls or ambushing you from the background scenery. If they get too close, combat ensues. Combat is in a turn-based style, but with the twist that your opponent is probably much tougher than you and you cannot flee right away. Early game, as you are just high schoolers, combat will most likely be based around stunning your opponent, as this will enable your party to flee. However, you could try to kill the enemies also, but this would be best saved for later on (see NPCs). If one of your allies falls in battle, they will either be unconscious or killed, depending on your difficulty setting (see Difficulty)
[/collapse]
[collapse=Night Life: NPCs]
There are not many NPCs that are not enemies within the house, but sometimes you may meet a Lost Soul or Etched Item. Lost Souls are people who were slain by the demon within the house, either by attempted exploration or wasted body. Although they cannot do to much in their current state, if you help their souls pass on, they will grant your team magic to fend off or slay the enemies or a boost to one of your team's stats. Etched Items are Items that have blessings or curses onto them, and can be used to aid combat or exploration. Blessed Items just require finding the item to use, but cursed ones bust be bribed or cleansed before use.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Day Life: Time Usage]
During the day, you ware given a menu with all of your allies listed. You can choose for them to spend their time in three different ways each day (one morning,one noon,and one evening activity). You can choose from these options, and the same option can be chosen multiple times for one person ( also, some options may only be available for the protagonist for balancing):

Sleep-Recovers HP, MP, and Morale; Prevents stats falling due to tiredness (Any time).

School-Learn tips, gain exp, and make friends who can potentially join you on your journey (Morning and Noon only; Weekdays only).

Work-Lowers morale, but gain money (Noon and Evening only).

Shop-Browses shop designated to get supplies (Time varies by store).

Hangout/Date-Raises morale and friendships, allows the protagonist to date another party member to affect dialogue and certain small details of endings (Any time, but certain locations are time-specific and may cost money).

Pray-Pray at the local temples to raise morale as well as granting immunity to some debuffs for the next night (Any time).

Save-Saves the game(Doesn't take any Time)

There may be more added later.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Day Life=Recruitment, Friendships, and Morale]
Whenever a team member to a hangout or school, they may have interactions with other students. I plan for their to be about 15 playable students, however only 4 can enter the house at one time. As you meet new potential allies, you can befriend them ant try to convince them to go exploring with you. If you tell them too early, you can hurt your friendship and they may think you are crazy. Some people may join automatically due to curiosity for the house or through another event.

Once a person joins your side, you must monitor their morale. Low morale allies will refuse to enter the house and may even go out of their way to prevent you from doing tasks during the day. If someones morale is low during Night Life, they may refuse to join in combat. To keep morale high,make sure your team stays well-rested, stays on good terms with you, and feels safe and secure through praying. Morale lowers through not resting, working, entering the house, getting hurt in combat, or event.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Difficulty]
There will be two to four difficulties. On the lowest to normal difficulty, your allies cannot die in the house and will instead go unconscious (they must recover for a couple of days), and there will not be a set number of days to save the family member. Your allies also deal more and take less damage, and morale drops slower. Also, friendship events happen more often. Game Over happens if your entire team goes down in combat.

On higher difficulties, your allies can die in the house. Dead allies cannot be brought back,and instead become Lost Souls in the house. Morale drops faster, and enemies deal and take more damage. There will also be a deadline before the game auto game overs. The game also game overs when the entire team dies within the house. On a game over, you can return to your last save point.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Enemies and Bosses]
[collapse=Elements and Types]
Elements
Fire
Water
Earth
Air
Light
Dark
Physical
Special

Types
Undead: Weak against Fire usually, High Physical resist.
Spectral: Immune to Physical.
Demon: Heals by Dark, Weak against Light.
Imp: Weak against Physical, High Magic resist.
Inanimate: Varies.
More to come
[/collapse]
[collapse=Standard Enemies]
Ghoul-Undead
Wraith-Specter
Gremlin-Imp
Hollow Armor-Inanimate
Doppelganger (Crawls out of mirror or portrait)-Inanimate
Lesser Demon-Demon
Shadow-Specter
Poltergeist-Specter
Shambling Corpse-Undead
Rot Hound-Undead
Puppet-Inanimate
Puppet Master-Imp
[/collapse]
[collapse=Bosses]
So far I do not have any except for a secret boss that is a katana that has a soul of it's own and the final boss. I need ideas.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Joke Mode (3 Spoopy 5 Me)]
This mode will unlock by doing a completionist playthrough on this game. Depending on Copyright claims, I would like the battle theme to change to "Spooky Scary Skeletons" remix by The Living Tombstone and the character Spooky from Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion as a playable character that cannot die. The difficulty is normal by default, and a lot of cutscenes have comical dialogue. The final boss is different and so is the epilogue.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Development Hiccups]
I do not know what engine to make this on, as I am still debating 2D or 3D graphics and gameplay. If I do 3D, I will need help with graphic designs, learning the engine, possibly voice acting, music, and probably a lot more. If 2D, I will need a texture designer who can do high quality pixel are and music and probably more. I want to do a kickstarter on this, but I want to make sure that I can guarantee the game's release before doing so.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

I know that there is probably a lot I missed, but I am tired and it is night. I may update this tomorrow or leave it be. Please ask any questions that you may have and I will try to answer them. Also, I know it isn't that scary of a concept, but I wanted it to be based more on the story with horror being like a side salad to this steak of gameplay and story.

Last edited:
Does anyone here know where I can get some cheap/free art assets for my game idea above? My friend said I should make an RPG Maker Prototype for the game, andif i get ateam then I can make a 3d model.

Sorry for the triple post, but since things have slowed down, I guess its not as important to wait your turn now. But I was wanting to ask if anyone would be interested in seeing my game ideas and possibly helping me put them together if I was to take the time to write them into word documents. I have a few ideas I think are good, but I need a lot more to go off of.

Sorry for the triple post, but since things have slowed down, I guess its not as important to wait your turn now. But I was wanting to ask if anyone would be interested in seeing my game ideas and possibly helping me put them together if I was to take the time to write them into word documents. I have a few ideas I think are good, but I need a lot more to go off of.
Couple of universal things to remember:

1. Fine details can be added later. Don't try adding the sprinkles before you bake the cake.
2. Remember the core components: Genre, mechanics/story, controls (Typically in that order)
3. Don't be afraid to change things if you get new ideas.
4. If it's a game with a set cast of characters, take time to flesh them out a bit. Give the characters..... er, character. You might get new ideas.
5. Focus on one thing at a time. Trying to do multiple things at the same time will stress you out.

Couple of universal things to remember:

1. Fine details can be added later. Don't try adding the sprinkles before you bake the cake.
2. Remember the core components: Genre, mechanics/story, controls (Typically in that order)
3. Don't be afraid to change things if you get new ideas.
4. If it's a game with a set cast of characters, take time to flesh them out a bit. Give the characters..... er, character. You might get new ideas.
5. Focus on one thing at a time. Trying to do multiple things at the same time will stress you out.
That is a good guide. I have like 6 ideas, but I am not sure which to pursue first. I am thinking that I will do the horror rpg I posted above if I can flesh it out more.

That is a good guide. I have like 6 ideas, but I am not sure which to pursue first. I am thinking that I will do the horror rpg I posted above if I can flesh it out more.
I'm in a similar boat. I have about 4 or 5 (One's like a half idea) ideas for games I want to work on. I'm focusing on one in particular, and if I feel burnt out, I turn to the other ones to see if any new ideas pop.

As for working on the major project, same things apply. Once the genre was set in place, I've been bouncing back and forth between the game's mechanics to fine tune them, and the story to make it interesting, switching to the controls if I feel I've over complicated something and need to see if certain mechanics are even feasible.

Another tip I can give is play/watch games of a similar genre/style or hell, even with just a mechanic that you've thought about adding. Get a feel for the mechanics and controls. What makes them work? Can you improve something? Would it work in your set-up?

[collapse=Omg Chiba's revealing shit on the game he's been super vague about? Wtf?!]
Well, yes. Finally.

An example of what I just mentioned would be something I'm co-working on currently. The game is going to be an action-adventure game, allowing players to explore an area at their leisure, with them gaining access to more areas (via new abilities and such) as the game progresses. The combat in the game is going to play an crucial part, especially considering the two playable characters are pirates. (Who saw that one coming?) I was thinking of a combat system similar to the Batman Arkham games, but after doing more research and field testing, I've opted against it, simply because it feels a bit easy, even on harder difficulties. I then spent time watching fighting game videos, and it clicked with me that fighting games are entirely based on combat. My studying began, and I've settled on a mix of a few things.

For example, players will have the ability to:

Block (Hold a button; takes reduced damage)

Dodge (Block + direction; Character A can still be hit by projectiles while dodging, but his dodge can combo into attacks; Character B is immune to projectiles while dodging, but she doesn't have the combo potential of Character A)

Counter-attack (Block + Attack; Requires precise timing; Knocks away surrounding foes; No potential follow-ups; Projectiles can be Counter-Attacked)

Parry (Precise block timing; Full immunity to damage; Can be followed-up with combos; all hits of multi-hitting attacks must be parried for full damage immunity; Projectiles can be parried)

This gives players numerous defensive options depending on how they play. Blocking is the safest option, but gets costly after a while. Dodging works great, but might put you in a bad spot if you're doing it constantly. Counter-Attacks are great if you find yourself surrounded, but don't lead to much. Parrying is high-risk, high reward, either making you immune to damage or taking it all from mistiming. In the game, enemies aren't going to just take turns as to who's gonna attack you next. If you're open, they're going to swing at you. As a result, the player needs to learn and master their defensive options, otherwise they'll be staring at the Game Over screen a lot. Naturally, things will start out slow, giving you time to practice before you have 4 or 5 enemies wanting to nibble of your giblets.[/collapse]

Another tip: Just write stuff down if you think of it. Even if you don't know if you'll use it, write it down somewhere. Who knows? Might end up being the missing link you were looking for to tie everything together. :p

I'm in a similar boat. I have about 4 or 5 (One's like a half idea) ideas for games I want to work on. I'm focusing on one in particular, and if I feel burnt out, I turn to the other ones to see if any new ideas pop.

As for working on the major project, same things apply. Once the genre was set in place, I've been bouncing back and forth between the game's mechanics to fine tune them, and the story to make it interesting, switching to the controls if I feel I've over complicated something and need to see if certain mechanics are even feasible.

Another tip I can give is play/watch games of a similar genre/style or hell, even with just a mechanic that you've thought about adding. Get a feel for the mechanics and controls. What makes them work? Can you improve something? Would it work in your set-up?

[collapse=Omg Chiba's revealing shit on the game he's been super vague about? Wtf?!]
Well, yes. Finally.

An example of what I just mentioned would be something I'm co-working on currently. The game is going to be an action-adventure game, allowing players to explore an area at their leisure, with them gaining access to more areas (via new abilities and such) as the game progresses. The combat in the game is going to play an crucial part, especially considering the two playable characters are pirates. (Who saw that one coming?) I was thinking of a combat system similar to the Batman Arkham games, but after doing more research and field testing, I've opted against it, simply because it feels a bit easy, even on harder difficulties. I then spent time watching fighting game videos, and it clicked with me that fighting games are entirely based on combat. My studying began, and I've settled on a mix of a few things.

For example, players will have the ability to:

Block (Hold a button; takes reduced damage)

Dodge (Block + direction; Character A can still be hit by projectiles while dodging, but his dodge can combo into attacks; Character B is immune to projectiles while dodging, but she doesn't have the combo potential of Character A)

Counter-attack (Block + Attack; Requires precise timing; Knocks away surrounding foes; No potential follow-ups; Projectiles can be Counter-Attacked)

Parry (Precise block timing; Full immunity to damage; Can be followed-up with combos; all hits of multi-hitting attacks must be parried for full damage immunity; Projectiles can be parried)

This gives players numerous defensive options depending on how they play. Blocking is the safest option, but gets costly after a while. Dodging works great, but might put you in a bad spot if you're doing it constantly. Counter-Attacks are great if you find yourself surrounded, but don't lead to much. Parrying is high-risk, high reward, either making you immune to damage or taking it all from mistiming. In the game, enemies aren't going to just take turns as to who's gonna attack you next. If you're open, they're going to swing at you. As a result, the player needs to learn and master their defensive options, otherwise they'll be staring at the Game Over screen a lot. Naturally, things will start out slow, giving you time to practice before you have 4 or 5 enemies wanting to nibble of your giblets.[/collapse]

Another tip: Just write stuff down if you think of it. Even if you don't know if you'll use it, write it down somewhere. Who knows? Might end up being the missing link you were looking for to tie everything together. :p
I really like your idea. I think I may start with my horror game I posted above. I hope it is a good idea. I have an idea for a demo I may post when I'm at my computer since it's annoying to type a lot from my tablet and I'm about to play D&D with friends (I'm a spider wizard due to a joke with the DM that we thought would be funny in a campaign.)

I really like your idea. I think I may start with my horror game I posted above. I hope it is a good idea. I have an idea for a demo I may post when I'm at my computer since it's annoying to type a lot from my tablet and I'm about to play D&D with friends (I'm a spider wizard due to a joke with the DM that we thought would be funny in a campaign.)
tumblr_inline_nldjpijHZJ1rsmxr9.gif

You have my support.

Back