• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Garry's Mod

Wooty

Staff member

In the days of Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3, Left4Dead, and Counter Strike, it's easy to overlook the awesome little games. One of these games happens to be Garry's Mod. It can be purchased on Steam for the measly price of $10, and trust me - it's worth it.

Based on the Half Life 2 engine, it's basically a creative sandbox. Place items, strap them to booster rockets, make contraptions, stage movies, do anything! The game really is wide open.You've got two main tools at your disposal, the physics gun and the all-purpose tool. Using only these two items, you can make the world into your own personal invention!

Here's a few things I've built in the past hour:
  • A train that flies (with you in the cockpit seat of course)
  • A robot that follows people around and kills them (bwahahaha)
  • A light show
  • A jet that can do barrel rolls
  • An entire building that drives like a tank
  • A button that drops a skyscraper on your head when you push it
I must give you warning - it does take some time to get a hang of, but once you're comfortable with the controls, the world is your oyster.

Oh, and did I mention it's multiplayer? Yes! You can do all your shinanegans with over thirty other people (just... try not to crash the server with too many items). And if you get bored with the sandbox, there's even custom game modes! With hundreds of other mods, you can do boat battles, drug wars, hide and seek, and a ton of other fun stuff.

Excited? Good, you should be.

Pros
  • Infinite possibilities
  • Multiplayer creation
  • Custom user-created play modes and mods
  • A large community
Cons
  • Servers are susceptible to crashing from random item spammers
  • Using the tools takes some getting used to
  • Sandbox games aren't for everyone
Final Score: 8/10

Back