Halo 5: Guardians Beta

Skryter

So, the Halo 5: Guardians public beta is available for pre-load now through The Master Chief Collection, and will launch sometime tomorrow.

If anyone's up for playing a few games I'd be happy to partake in your company, if so please send a friend request to my GamerTag Chills Pills.

From what I've seen of the Beta so far I'm rather impressed with the direction that 343 is taking with the franchise. And no, "Smart Scoping" is not ADS.

Love too. xbl gt is 'haio i reach'

lies

I'll be using this crappy comparison photo I just made to explain the reasoning behind my statement, please excuse my shitty paint skills. The pink area on the top image below is supposed to represent the translucency present whilst zooming in previous halo titles.

Crappy Smart Scope + ADS explanation.png

As you can see above, if you remove the visual flair from Halo 5's BR Scope, it is essentially the same as the zoom present in previous Halo titles, with the exception that weapons without scopes can now fire whilst zoomed in.

I will however accept the fact that presently in the beta state bullet spread seems to be reduced heavily on automatic weapons contrary to what 343 has previously told us (that the change was purely cosmetic); however the effects of smart scoping vary on a weapon to weapon basis. Obviously this is of some concern, and considering that the game is currently in a BETA state we'll likely see drastic changes to the way smart scoping changes the behavior of weaponry post and potentially mid Beta.

Our opinions will obviously change after we've personally played the game ourselves.

Edit: Forgot to mention that smart scoping is easily nullified by De-Scope.

I'll be using this crappy comparison photo I just made to explain the reasoning behind my statement, please excuse my shitty paint skills. The pink area on the top image below is supposed to represent the translucency present whilst zooming in previous halo titles.

View attachment 144283

As you can see above, if you remove the visual from Halo 5's BR Scope, it is essentially the same as the zoom present in previous Halo titles, with the exception that weapons without scopes can now fire whilst zoomed in.

I will however accept the fact that presently in the beta state bullet spread seems to be reduced heavily on automatic weapons contrary to what 343 has previously told us (that the change was purely cosmetic); however the effects of smart scoping vary on a weapon to weapon basis. Obviously this is of some concern, and considering that the game is currently in a BETA state we'll likely see drastic changes to the way smart scoping changes the behavior of weaponry post and potentially mid Beta.

Our opinions will obviously change after we've personally played the game ourselves.
Oh totally, I just point that out cause they said this which was obviously a lie
2c0c86bc74.png

. Of course it may change, but it doesn't give me much hope in their word. Especially considering all they've said around the MCC launch. With that said I'm hyped for it tommorow.

Oh totally, I just point that out cause they said this which was obviously a lie
2c0c86bc74.png

. Of course it may change, but it doesn't give me much hope in their word. Especially considering all they've said around the MCC launch. With that said I'm hyped for it tommorow.

I'm hyped as well. I still have faith that 343 will seriously take feedback into consideration, considering they decided to actually release a proper beta unlike beta's we've seen released by other companies in the past few years, even with their colossal fuck up of MCC's multiplayer.

2c0c86bc74.png

If that stuff is taken away, I hope it gets a playlist because that sounds like a really crazy fast paced Halo.

Thoughts so far:

Control schemes are counter intuitive - They all suck and feel clunky

Assault Rifle/SMG range and damage needs to be tuned down - all I see are groups of 4 running around and pretty much instakilling people

Prophet's Bane size and glow needs to be tuned down

Sniper Rifle zoom should be instant but at the expense of reduced damage - I shouldn't be getting one shotted after taking only minimal damage to my shields

Thoughts so far:

Control schemes are counter intuitive - They all suck and feel clunky

Assault Rifle/SMG range and damage needs to be tuned down - all I see are groups of 4 running around and pretty much instakilling people

Prophet's Bane size and glow needs to be tuned down

Sniper Rifle zoom should be instant but at the expense of reduced damage - I shouldn't be getting one shotted after taking only minimal damage to my shields
I really am not liking the ADS. Regardless it just does not belong in halo, and the fact that this is a thing along with flinch makes it hard to justify its reason being in the game.

Also, your comment on 4 running around is true. There is teamwork then there is all 4 players running around killing every member 1 by 1 before they can get their shit together to stop us. I played a midship remake whatever its called, 4v4 and all and won 50/10. All because all 4 of us just instinctively went the same way and I never got more than a double kill cause of how spread out the other team was. I don't know if it was cause they were bad but it was just slaughter and not even competitive.
And another thing on top of that, all 4 of us blistered around the map, I didn't think I would mind sprint but god it does NOT belong in halo. Destroys any of the slow paced action or fines from 1v1, keeping control of a point on the map or maintaining any flow that existed in earlier halo battles.

And notice all these are all their "new" ideas that they are trying to make innovative. It runs great I'm not gonna lie but if this beta is simply just a "thanks for helping us find the bugs, yeah yeah we'll fix that one thing you whined about but we're making it and we like the new innovative changes" then this game is royally fucked. But if they take all this criticism to heart and actually make game altering changes to these new mechanics and hell even remove some ideas or add some things that would improve this game than maybe their is hope.

I really am not liking the ADS. Regardless it just does not belong in halo, and the fact that this is a thing along with flinch makes it hard to justify its reason being in the game.

Also, your comment on 4 running around is true. There is teamwork then there is all 4 players running around killing every member 1 by 1 before they can get their shit together to stop us. I played a midship remake whatever its called, 4v4 and all and won 50/10. All because all 4 of us just instinctively went the same way and I never got more than a double kill cause of how spread out the other team was. I don't know if it was cause they were bad but it was just slaughter and not even competitive.
And another thing on top of that, all 4 of us blistered around the map, I didn't think I would mind sprint but god it does NOT belong in halo. Destroys any of the slow paced action or fines from 1v1, keeping control of a point on the map or maintaining any flow that existed in earlier halo battles.

And notice all these are all their "new" ideas that they are trying to make innovative. It runs great I'm not gonna lie but if this beta is simply just a "thanks for helping us find the bugs, yeah yeah we'll fix that one thing you whined about but we're makingh it and we like the new innovative changes" then this game is royally fucked. But if they take all this criticism to heart and actually make game altering changes to these new mechanics and hell even remove some ideas or add some things that would improve this game than maybe their is hope.

Yeah, I'm not that big a fan of smartscoping myself, it can work if it's properly balanced but it still feels off. My main problem with it is people constantly spamming it in order to auto-aim headshots with precision weapons, turning them into powerweapons.

Sprint can be counter-balanced by buffing base movement speed, but removing it would force 343 to rework their multiplayer map's, considering they're currently built around sprint and clamber.

Ground Pound isn't really an issue seeing as the conditions to actually pull it off are rare.

Thruster's are fine as they are.

The second map (not midship/truth) is terrible, the sniper should be replaced with rocket/sword/hydra/etc.

For the most part I'm fine with the new change's, Halo's gameplay needs to evolve, although I wouldn't mind seeing sprint removed altogether, and AR/SMG range/damage need definite nerf's.

That's why I only play BTB.

Back