I need help people.

tshinotu145

This fall, I will be attending a university. I want a tablet to use for school. I've narrowed the choice down to 2 tablets..

The iPad or the Nexus 7

I can't really make up my mind on which of these tablets to get. I need help deciding, and figured this is the best place to ask people. Here's my view on each of the tablets.

iPad:
I've been an iOS user for about 3 years now. I like it mainly because of the jailbreak scene. If I get an iPad, I will be jailbreaking it. I also like how Apple partnered with textbook makers to bring them to the iBook store. I think this is really helpful with school work and things. I also love alot of Apps the store has to offer. I will also be able to play games via OnLive.

Nexus 7:
First, the Nexus 7 is incredibly cheaper than an iPad. I don't know how well the books are, but I like the ability to customize on Android, without having to hack. I've heard JellyBean is an amazing software. I've played around with FroYo, and didn't really like it. I also like the mod community with Android, making it possible to update a product if there won't be an official release.

That's my view of this, but I need an outside opinion. Also, sorry for messing up with the post :D

I feel that an iPad is easier to use as in keeping things organized and stuff I would imagine that it would be great for school-like tasks and sorts. I have never used a tablet, but i find the iPhone a lot better than Android as in speed, stability, and reliability. Android has some cool features but like a computer, toy can get viruses. I use an android and I can 100% confirm that some days it's a smart phone, the others it's a paperweight.

don't get a tablet for school, buy a laptop or a netbook, instead. As an iPad owner, I rarely use it for anything worthwhile, and using it to type up assignments, or type anything (like a reply on this site) is annoying unless you plan on buying a dock with a keyboard for it, too.

For college/university always go with either laptop or possibly netbook. Although tablets are nice and all, they just don't have the same features/hardware that laptops have. e.g. dvd/blu-ray drive, hardware keyboard (taking notes in class, or typing out school papers,) usb/sd ports for data transfer, generally better wireless compatibility.

Plus laptops can handle sooooo many games :D.

~Bored

I'm with everybody else's response up to now. Spend a little more dime and get a laptop. It'll not only be faster and easier to actually use/type on, but it'll likely last you a lot longer than a pad. That and it's at least somewhat upgrade-able (i.e. more memory, newer SSD, etc) not only for speed, but you can also do the work yourself vs having to have an iPad cracked open should the battery fail prematurely.

A laptop will be cheaper and probably more powerful than either of those tablets plus you will be able to do more with it (physical keyboards are great). That being said, if you are bent on a tablet, stick with the android.

Of the two go with the nexus 7. The problem with tablets is that they're not really high productivity machines. Think about it as trying to type a paper on a larger version of a smartphone. It will be painful. That said, having a tablet is a nice supplement to having a desktop. Everyone on college is on the move. Desktop computers are rare... Pretty much limited to labs and gamers. Having a tablet but not a laptop at a group meeting allows you to still look at documents, do some research, and play angry birds when the rest of the group is arguing about something stupid. That said a laptop is infinity more useful in that setting. Especially if you're going to be needing software other than an office suite. If you're going to get a tablet its ridiculous to get one that costs as much as a laptop (you can get a pretty decent laptop for the price of an ipad.) As a laptop is much cheaper.

Tldr: tablets make a decent accessory for a desktop of if you don't want to carry a laptop. They don't replace them.

P. S. Don't let Asus lie to you... The transformer is not as good as a laptop.

Pps. If you feel like getting something that's entirely unnecessary for what you need you should get an x86 Microsoft surface. Because you know... That's a good idea.

This fall, I will be attending a university. I want a tablet to use for school. I've narrowed the choice down to 2 tablets..

The iPad or the Nexus 7

I can't really make up my mind on which of these tablets to get. I need help deciding, and figured this is the best place to ask people. Here's my view on each of the tablets.

iPad:
I've been an iOS user for about 3 years now. I like it mainly because of the jailbreak scene. If I get an iPad, I will be jailbreaking it. I also like how Apple partnered with textbook makers to bring them to the iBook store. I think this is really helpful with school work and things. I also love alot of Apps the store has to offer. I will also be able to play games via OnLive.

Nexus 7:
First, the Nexus 7 is incredibly cheaper than an iPad. I don't know how well the books are, but I like the ability to customize on Android, without having to hack. I've heard JellyBean is an amazing software. I've played around with FroYo, and didn't really like it. I also like the mod community with Android, making it possible to update a product if there won't be an official release.

That's my view of this, but I need an outside opinion. Also, sorry for messing up with the post :D
FroYo hasn't been relevant for at least 2 years now, and the performance and UI changes from version to version are very noticeable. Also the ROMs, dem ROMs.

But yeah a tablet won't replace a Laptop.

Back