• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

I want to create a new city!

If you are making one you gotta make one that beats this.
K3Oqk.jpg

Love to see one that takes advantage of the new height limit.

So I finally find a great idea, start collecting shitloads of credits for it, and then someone gets the exact same idea and tells it to people before I do? :storyofmylife:
Anyway, I want to help this idea with my 712 credits and one year of Classic building experience.

Ok I have started the project & town. Please any donations wanting to help buy up plots type in game /money pay Falon73 (ammount)

The red square lines are currently the boundry I believe that needs to be bought up. I have started with the few creds i have and bought 3 plots.

North East on survival map

7th-heaven.png

Those who want to donate materials Please see me in game.

will bee needing serious builders to take on administrative jobs, must have put in quality time on Team9000 servers and be liked by the people (kagato75 oozinator mountianboy teircen) these are current people I know and trust maybe you are also a good builder with trustable features doesnt mater to me if your from survival or classic long as your trustable and likeable and good at building. :)

Ok I have started the project & town. Please any donations wanting to help buy up plots type in game /money pay Falon73 (ammount)

The red square lines are currently the boundry I believe that needs to be bought up. I have started with the few creds i have and bought 3 plots.

North East on survival map

View attachment 136398

Those who want to donate materials Please see me in game.

will bee needing serious builders to take on administrative jobs, must have put in quality time on Team9000 servers and be liked by the people (kagato75 oozinator mountianboy teircen) these are current people I know and trust maybe you are also a good builder with trustable features doesnt mater to me if your from survival or classic long as your trustable and likeable and good at building. :)
Damnit, man, you took the spot I was gonna claim for a WH project. Oh well, I have too much other stuff to do anyway, guess you'll just get a station there :p

Damnit, man, you took the spot I was gonna claim for a WH project. Oh well, I have too much other stuff to do anyway, guess you'll just get a station there :p

Maybe worldhub with all its resorces can pitch in and bee astiants in this build? :p would be nice to have fast rail way there and back fyi.

Maybe worldhub with all its resorces can pitch in and bee astiants in this build? :p would be nice to have fast rail way there and back fyi.
With all our resources....we have lots of material, but as far as credits go, we're constantly starving for more.

Epic thread revival!

In all seriousness, I've lately been pondering about the feasibility of a sky city. After a quick search of the forums, I really haven't found one that has been made in any previous world, at least one that met the standards of the original concept (correct me if I'm wrong).

The reason this particular project was not fleshed out in the last world was because it was introduced very late into the world's lifetime, and the fact that credits were required to start survival towns - something that people weren't willing to waste on a potential flop. Now that land is free and the world is set to continue indefinitely, I believe such a project is more reachable.

Yet there are still some other challenges.

In general, floating cities (also applicable to ones on water) are problematic because they turn out to be little more than collections of buildings placed on flat, thin, geometrically-regular platforms that don't incite much wonder (at least from the ones I've seen in Classic). And landscaped platforms that do are notoriously difficult to construct in terms of technical and logistical difficulty. Furthermore, expansion is restricted once the size of the town is set (though circumventable by making more "islands").

Despite these challenges, I'd still think it be awesome to see an attempt at one. If someone does make one, please consider the following into the design.

1. For location, please center the sky city over some unremarkable geographical feature that would most likely not be developed in the future (ex. over inland seas, lakes, oceans). Bodies of water also have the benefit of preventing fall deaths. Avoid large hills since it will detract from the epicness and reduce "buildable" space. Unless you have consulted nearby towns, pick a spot that is somewhat remote.

2. Make it more than just a flat platform with buildings on top of it. Give the floating island some landscaping.

3. Bend but don't break physics. Make sure to throw on some giant engines, balloons, fans, pillars, etc. - something that clearly demonstrates the existence of a mechanism that keeps your sky island from plummeting. (By the way, 1 x 1 columns or small staircases won't cut it.) Also, avoid making the island look top-heavy (ex. building a 100-block tall structure on top of a 30-block wide platform).

4. Finally, plan. This goes for all projects. The most frustrating thing is not making a mistake but not realizing it until very late in the game. Come up with blueprints and reasonable estimates of the materials/time you'll have to invest in the project. I highly recommend choosing a design that is idiot-proof and modestly ambitious. A completed medium-sized project is better than a large, half-assed one.

Epic thread revival!

In all seriousness, I've lately been pondering about the feasibility of a sky city. After a quick search of the forums, I really haven't found one that has been made in any previous world, at least one that met the standards of the original concept (correct me if I'm wrong).

The reason this particular project was not fleshed out in the last world was because it was introduced very late into the world's lifetime, and the fact that credits were required to start survival towns - something that people weren't willing to waste on a potential flop. Now that land is free and the world is set to continue indefinitely, I believe such a project is more reachable.

In general, floating cities (also applicable to ones on water) are problematic because they turn out to be little more than collections of buildings placed on flat, thin, geometrically-regular platforms that don't incite much wonder (at least from the ones I've seen in Classic). And landscaped platforms that do are notoriously difficult to construct in terms of technical and logistical difficulty. Furthermore, expansion is restricted once the size of the town is set (though circumventable by making more "islands").

Despite these challenges, I'd still think it be awesome to see an attempt at one. If someone does make one, please consider the following into the design.

1. For location, please center the sky city over some unremarkable geographical feature that would most likely not be developed in the future (ex. over inland seas, lakes, oceans). Bodies of water also have the benefit of preventing fall deaths. Avoid large hills since it will detract from the epicness and reduce "buildable" space. Unless you have consulted nearby towns, pick a spot that is somewhat remote.

2. Make it more than just a flat platform with buildings on top of it. Give the floating island some landscaping.

3. Bend but don't break physics. Make sure to throw on some giant engines, balloons, fans, pillars, etc. - something that clearly demonstrates the existence of a mechanism that keeps your sky island from plummeting. (By the way, 1 x 1 columns or small staircases won't cut it.) Also, avoid making the island look top-heavy (ex. building a 100-block tall structure on top of a 30-block wide platform).

4. Finally, plan. This goes for all projects. The most frustrating thing is not making a mistake but not realizing it until very late in the game. Come up with blueprints and reasonable estimates of the materials/time you'll have to invest in the project. I highly recommend choosing a design that is idiot-proof and modestly ambitious. A completed medium-sized project is better than a large, half-assed one.

Calterra-Floating-Island-Screen-2.jpg

It'll be nice to have a floating city.. preferably somewhere where the clouds don't get'cha. It seems like a nice idea where jaded players got too much dirt and stone and time.

I choose an island this shape sorta... minus the dome.

Or, like MagicForDummies' example, just make something like skylands in the 1.0 world. I like the look of that stuff, although I never wanted to live in skylands due to the danger of death. Particularly the over-and-over type death :/

Epic thread revival!

Funny, because I've been wanting to build a sky city in team9000 for about 2 years now. x3

Epic thread revival!

i3XBh3K.jpg

Dalaran from World of Warcraft..

CdIUxle.jpg

Fairly easy to build.

Back