• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

If we had server moderators...

Teircen

Let me start by saying this isn't a request for server mods. That's up to Wooty and since we don't have them already it's his apparent preference that we not have them. Since this isn't an actual request for server mods I'm posting it here. (An actual request would have gone in at a different location so this is just for wishful thinking)

I'd love to see moderators here. A handful of trusted people to temporarily ban spammers, player killers, etc (and post a permanent ban request on the forum), assist with new players and questions, etc. Of all the things moderators normally do one of the things I'd want to see from server moderators that isn't normally something I've seen in them would be the ability to teleport people back to the tutorial quiz. Perhaps something like a "/quiz username" command that just returns that person to step one of the quiz. Then whenever someone asks a question already answered in the quiz a moderator could just use a preset command to port them back to the start to retake it.

I'd love this to be an automated (no mods required) feature but there is just too much variety in how it gets asked.
How can I buy land? How do you buy land? What do you do to buy land? How do U buy land? and so on...
automated just isn't feasible.

Granted, I already see a couple pitfalls if this can be added.
An abusive moderator could just spam people there to be annoying. (at which point they need to be removed as moderator if not just banned outright for abuse)
People could start pestering moderators to port them to the quiz so they can get to Spawn without using /suicide. (in which case someone would ideally need to oversee moderators to prevent abuse)

All of this is really just so much wishful thinking though so it doesn't reall matter... but it's nice to dream sometimes, isn't it?

In the words of the almighty Wooty:

no.jpg

Of course, that was a given. :) That's why I clarified it was just wishful thinking at the outset. Imagine though, wouldn't it be fun.

SPAM
SPAM
SPAM
Spammer has been temporarily banned by moderator for spamming.

Hey, why can't I mine? I've walked a long way out of Spawn already.
Noob has been ported to the tutorial quiz to learn answers to questions he ignored last time.

He has said that he hasn't added any SMP mods because that person wouldn't ever be able to acutally play on the server anymore, and there hasn't been anyone who has been willing to step up and offer their services and he could trust.

I think SMP kinda took a wrong turn anyway with all the new fancy plugins, and I think (personally) it made it easier to grief and steal.

You invite a player to your town because you trust them right?
Well you have 50 players in your town you all trust. Everyone has access to the chests in there (unless woot has changed it). So if someone steals, it's up to a person to history it to find out. The plugins (in my opinion) made the server easier to commit "crimes" on.

(keep in mind this is the guy who abused lwc and made a house of furnaces and lava and 2 redstone torches so nobody could open his door from the outside.)

On SMP you assign rights per plot. So if you only put 1 person per plot there's no stealing. The moment you put 2 people on one plot theft is a potential problem.

Plots are 4 chunks (total of 32x32 blocks). Great for buying but mildly painful for keeping people split up.

I feel as though the ranks of T9K classic, i.e. the Engi and Awesome ranks, should transfer over to T9K's survival. i mean, if they are trusted to do some moderating on classic, why shouldn't the same apply to survival? i Know it'll never happen, but just a thought from Mighty :3

I feel as though the ranks of T9K classic, i.e. the Engi and Awesome ranks, should transfer over to T9K's survival. i mean, if they are trusted to do some moderating on classic, why shouldn't the same apply to survival? i Know it'll never happen, but just a thought from Mighty :3
Then everyone and their mother would be a moderator. And what moondoggy just explained is against that.

I wouldnt mind having the same abilities that Tofurkey has. Banning, kicking, etc, but no creative powers. That way I could continue to play survival like I do, but could assist in getting rid of spammers, trolls, etc.

I think what I suggested would be a nice "mod" ability to give out to several players who are trusted.

I wouldnt mind having the same abilities that Tofurkey has. Banning, kicking, etc, but no creative powers. That way I could continue to play survival like I do, but could assist in getting rid of spammers, trolls, etc.

I think what I suggested would be a nice "mod" ability to give out to several players who are trusted.
You can not really play normally and have mod powers at the same time. You must pick one or the other.

And the problem with having a "mod ability to give out to several players who are trusted" is that all the trusted members either don't want anything to do with survival, or are still playing survival the way it is meant to be played. We are kind of stuck here when it comes to moderators. I believe that is why Wooty has not acted upon this yet.

You can not really play normally and have mod powers at the same time. You must pick one or the other.

And the problem with having a "mod ability to give out to several players who are trusted" is that all the trusted members either don't want anything to do with survival, or are still playing survival the way it is meant to be played. We are kind of stuck here when it comes to moderators. I believe that is why Wooty has not acted upon this yet.
yes you can... i've been playing on a private smp server with about 10 people, i'm one of the people entrusted with mod powers, it has in no way changed my game experience, It's more in the lines on how much woot trusts the players to be responsible with their mod powers...

yes you can... i've been playing on a private smp server with about 10 people, i'm one of the people entrusted with mod powers, it has in no way changed my game experience, It's more in the lines on how much woot trusts the players to be responsible with their mod powers...
smp is where the bad side of people kinda does come out.

It depends on the powers given - if it were akin to what Tofurkey has now where he is in Survival mode and has only powers to kick and ban, that in itself doesn't detract from the game. Unlike if you have access to /give, etc. where one might be tempted to give themself or a member of their town 2,000 diamond blocks. I still build once in awhile on Classic and have no issues moderating while doing so.

I'll just say that the moderators of Classic should not transfer over to Survival, although many of them still may do so (trusted by the community already).

A point to be made about the automatic anti-spam plugin - it takes a certain amount of messages in a row to trigger it. The other day a player was spamming, and changed the phrase he was spamming about 5 times. Every time he changed his phrase, it effectively reset his counter. I'm pretty sure this guy was doing it accidentally, but if someone knew that was how it worked they could easily get away with spam for hours if they just changed what they were saying every 10 posts or so.

I also agree that someone could easily manage to moderate and still play the game as it was meant to be played. If someone was responsible for monitoring the server and solely that, they would be incredibly bored the majority of the time. I would be far less focused and less willing to do the job in the first place if I was not allowed to keep my town. On this note, I don't think the moderator(s) should be given creative abilities - though this is obvious and has already been covered.

And I second Teircen's idea for a '/quiz [playername]' command.

Back