• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

IPv6 and Minecraft SMP?

What do you mean IPv6 is coming out mid-feb? IPv6 has been around for years. Also, if mc.team9000.net did point to a ipv6 address, you would not notice a difference.

No, i meant since all the IPv4 address are going to run out. And yes i realize now that mc.team9000.net is in fact not an IP address. My stupidity got ahead of me this time.

When IPv4 addresses run out, nothing pre-existing will probably change I don't think, they might just end up with an IPv6 address that points to the same place, or they'll stay with their IPv4 and anything new will have to be IPv6.

All of my servers (collectively) have a total of 72 unique ipv4 addresses. We're not running out any time soon.

Also, I'll probably be adding an ipv6 tunnel to a few of our servers soon, just for kicks.

All of my servers (collectively) have a total of 72 unique ipv4 addresses. We're not running out any time soon.

Also, I'll probably be adding an ipv6 tunnel to a few of our servers soon, just for kicks.
There isn't really a performance difference between ipv6 and ipv4 is there? Just curious and you seem to be the one that would know these things knower of all things computer.

No performance difference at all - aside from ipv6 tunnels.

For hosts and computers that don't have a "real" ipv6 hookup, aka your ISP doesn't support it, you can still connect to the "ipv6 internet" by what is called an ipv6 tunnel. Basically, you're connecting over ipv4 to a server which then passes your requests on via ipv6. In this case, there will be a slowdown because your data has to travel to the middle server before reaching its destination.

But once ipv6 fully rolls out, ipv6 tunnels won't be necessary and speed will be unchanged.

No performance difference at all - aside from ipv6 tunnels.

For hosts and computers that don't have a "real" ipv6 hookup, aka your ISP doesn't support it, you can still connect to the "ipv6 internet" by what is called an ipv6 tunnel. Basically, you're connecting over ipv4 to a server which then passes your requests on via ipv6. In this case, there will be a slowdown because your data has to travel to the middle server before reaching its destination.

But once ipv6 fully rolls out, ipv6 tunnels won't be necessary and speed will be unchanged.
I see. Maybe ipv6 will finally become the main way to do things soon, I mean it's only existed since forever at this point.

Back