• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Keeby's Review of Pokémon Conquest (No Spoilers)

KeebyFTW

So for my birthday I got Pokémon Conquest for the Nintendo DS and I have to say this is a great game, but now I'm going to explain why.

1. Gameplay: 2.5/2.5
So this game functions kind of like the mystery dungeon series, which I also love, but there's so much more than just that. Throughout the game you play as warlords and each warlord has a "warrior skill." Warrior skills can only be used once per battle and depending on how they're timed they can turn the tide of the entire battle. The warrior skills range from healing all of your pokémon to increasing how far you pokémon can move. You can play as up to six warriors at a time during each battle so picking whom you use before a battle is very important. Each warlord can only use one pokémon at a time, but they can have more than one pokémon depending on their capacity. Each pokémon can have one of three abilities ranging from parrying some direct attacks to being able to move again after knocking out an opponent.

Battle works on a large field where the objective can be either knocking out all of your opponent's pokémon or claiming banners that are spread out on the field. Each pokémon has a certain range, which decides how far your pokémon can move. some fields have environmental effects, which can vary from sandstorms to rocks that roll downhill. Different attacks also have different target areas so where you place your pokémon can be extremely important. overall the gameplay in this game is very fun and at times very addictive.

2. Plot: 2.0/2.5
The plot starts out with you becoming the newly appointed warlord of the kingdom of Aurora, a kingdom mostly populated by normal pokémon. There are seventeen kingdoms in the region of Ransei, which is where you are. All seventeen of these kingdoms are based on a type and they all lived in harmony with each other. Unfortunately as of recently a warlord named Nobunaga has began to conquer the region of Ransei so that he can use the power of the legendary pokémon who made Ransei to destroy the region (the legendary pokémon becomes obvious once you see the shape of Ransei). Luckily for you his influence has not reached your halve of Ransei (the southern half). Your goal is to unify as much of Ransei as possible so that you can stop Nobunaga and save Ransei. Unfortunately throughout the story not much character development is shown and many characters are kind of a mystery. Luckily at after you beat the main story you unlock various side stories where the stories of many characters are explained and many of their personalities are developed. despite all of this a lot is still a mystery. Fortunately to find out a the answers to a lot of these mysteries you can actually look up the names of most of the main warlords in the game to find out about who they were in Japanese history, which actually fits in really well with their role in the game.

3. Soundtrack: 2.5/2.5
The music throughout this game is masterful. I really don't want to sound like I'm stereotyping, but much of the soundtrack seems to have a Japanese influence, which considering that this game is a crossover between Pokémon and a game called Nobunaga's Ambition isn't very surprising. Nobunaga's Ambition is a game where you play as an actual person who used to be alive named Oda Nobunaga who wanted to stop the fighting in Japan that was going on at the moment by unifying it. Besides all of that the soundtrack of the game is a work of art and my favorite theme in the entire game would have to be the theme that plays during the credits, which is a medley of some of my other favorite themes in the game, but remixed to some extent. Here's a link to it: https://t9k.me/25W.

4. Graphics: 2.5/2.5
The graphics are very similar to the graphics in the mystery dungeon series, but the landscapes look much better. Not really much to say about the graphics other than they look pretty good.

5. Lastability: 2.0/2.5
I don't know if this is just me, but the main story didn't take that long for me to finish. It only took me about 10 hours. Luckily after completing the main story about 30 more stories are unlocked, some being longer than others, which if you great if you love the gameplay, but for me it just gets a bit repetitive after a while, luckily that's not that big of an issue because of the different plots in each of the side stories and the character development. And even when you beat all of the side stories you can play them as many times as you want.

Overall: 9/10
Overall i would highly recommend this game to all of you if you've played Pokémon and even to those of you who haven't played Pokémon before.

Also how do I add an author’s description at the end of my blogs?

I played this once and I was very into the game. It's very immersive, and requires a good attention span. That's one thing that I didn't like about the game. You didn't have any option to hurry up the battle scenes. They aren't as fast as the ones in normal pokemon games, but they are still very slow and trouble some at times. Sure, you can use that time to think about how to move fleets and strategize attacks, but it's very boring having to do this for the WHOLE game. But still, I'm just pointing out a flaw in the game. I think I remember there being an option for speeding up battle scenes, but they were barely improved.

It's still a good game as you said, but I wouldn't play it unless I'm really excited to play it.

Back