Kirby the Wonder Cat 2003-2012

FaerieInCombatBoots

One of my cats died today. His name was Kirby, and he was one of the best cats I have ever had.
He had a lot of health problems, due mainly to his weight. He was a very fat cat, weighing in at an astounding 35 pounds. We had tried to get him in shape, but he had trouble keeping the pounds off.
He went rather suddenly early this afternoon, from what I suspect was heart failure. He'd been very ill the night before and into the morning. He'd been in decline for weeks. He was 9 years old.
The entire house is in shock and grief. He was family to us. I know that sounds crazy, but he was. I've had him since I was 14 and he's been my one closest companions for years.
Whenever I was sad or lonely, there was Kirby. He slept in my bed almost every night, taking up the entire bed and purring like a diesel engine. If I left any pants or bras on the floor, he'd sleep in them, purring away.
Kirby was affectionate, and charming. He used to do this cute little head twirl, and roll around on his back to get attention. He used to eat plastic. He used to sumo wrestle with other cats, and block your path whenever you had to get to the bathroom in a hurry. He liked to snuggle in blankets and sleep on my hair.
But I loved him. I loved him more than you can ever know. I still love him.
I want to share him with you. If he were still alive, I'd probably be sharing him with you anyway. I'm still in total disbelief that he's gone. I couldn't be in the room when it was happening, I panicked. But when it was over, pet him, and kissed his paws.
We're burying him tomorrow. We've made him a little marker out of slate. He is survived by his brother, and his Grandmother. Yes. His grandma outlived him. She's 14 and too evil to die.
Here are some pictures of him that were on my deviantart. I may post more.

He_whom_we_call_Kirby_by_FaerieInCombatBoots.jpg

Little_and_Large_by_FaerieInCombatBoots.jpg

With one of the other cats.

My_Kitty_so_fat___part_2_by_FaerieInCombatBoots.jpg

The_New_Appa_by_FaerieInCombatBoots.jpg

He was very patient with me.

Sad :(
my cat's 14-ish, and family too. Does everything yours does :D
i guess most affectionate cats do.
mine follows me like a dog though..
and DANG.. that's one fat cat O.O

He was big. Everyone who saw him always said the same thing "Oh my god!". One time, one of our neighbors was causing problems, and the cops came to ask my mom some questions. As the cop was talking to her, Kirby waddled over to the door. The cop stopped and said "Oh my god! That cat is HUGE!". I was always so proud that he distracted a cop.

He was big. Everyone who saw him always said the same thing "Oh my god!". One time, one of our neighbors was causing problems, and the cops came to ask my mom some questions. As the cop was talking to her, Kirby waddled over to the door. The cop stopped and said "Oh my god! That cat is HUGE!". I was always so proud that he distracted a cop.
lol
my cousin has a huge cat too.. though his is only part fat.. it;s simply a very HUGE cat.. bigger than his dog >_>

Last one.

"Appa Kirby! YIP YIP!"

Trying to lighten the mood a little. Sorry for your loss. :(

It's OK. My mom, sister and I have been making bad jokes here and there. It's all part of the grief process. I got a picture of him squishing Sokka too if you want to see that.

Thank you guys. It's been a really rough day. I'm either crying, fondly reminiscing or trying not to punch walls and scream obscenities. I think these might be normal reactions.
I just can't believe he's gone.

I have an extra cat...do you want her? She likes to be outside and will poop on the floor if you don't let her out enough, we think. It may be that she just likes to poop on the floor. In any case, she's great, if you don't mind picking up cat poop off the floor regularly.

Sorry your cat died.

Oh, I can't take any more cats right now. I'm going to have a proper mourning time before I even consider it.

We buried him today in my aunt's yard. It was very peaceful. I did a traditional tobacco prayer, sang on honor song and then poured libations.

Sorry for your kitty loss. I've had a lot of cats throughout my life and it's sad to see them go. Im sure you gave him a very happy life though :3

I'm sad for your cat.
I've never talked about my pets in this forum yet. I've lost my dog in 2011 because of a heart attack. It was an horrible moment.
My cat will be 19 years old soon, her health isn't good, and I started thinking her death is near. She meows very hard every day and every night, I guess it's pain. She was fat (9 kg), but now lives with a normal weight because she almost doesn't eat anymore.
I don't want to lose 2 close friends in less than 2 years...

It sounds like she's ready to go. As much as I love and miss Kirby, I am glad that he isn't in any more pain. He always had health problems, and he nearly died a few times. Sometimes, the most loving thing we can do for our animals is let them go. It's hard, oh god, it's so hard, but it's better than watching them suffer.

Back