Laptop Nuked Itself - Need Help Picking New One :)

Kurtis

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been gone for a while now, not by choice either. About 3 months ago my laptop completely nuked its hard drive and I haven't really had a lot of computer access since. Now that I can actually afford a new one, I'm looking at Lenovo, ASUS, and HP. I don't think the brand matters that much since all 3 of them have good ratings from 2012, but one thing I'm stuck on is Intel vs AMD. I see a lot of Intel laptops with only integrated graphics, but I know nothing about AMD and the nvidia and radeon cards they have. Could anyone give me some pointers here for what to look for so I can get a laptop that is good enough for minecraft/league/sims/etc. and other medium graphics games. I don't plan to try and play Battlefield 4 on the highest graphics or anything like that, at least not until i get the $$$ for a fancy desktop. ;)

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction so I can get back online soon. :)

PS: You can link me machines if you want but I am not able to buy anything by credit card, and I'm getting this rig from a store in Canada called Future Shop. Since I'm not paying for it, that's my only option until I have more income for a badass desktop.

ill help you out and look around for ya....ill probably post a couple here as well.

question though, what is your pricerange?

My personal advice would be don't buy a laptop because they're underpowered and just pretty smelly
If you have a choice get a desktop
If you can, build your own desktop

In other news, good to see you

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been gone for a while now, not by choice either. About 3 months ago my laptop completely nuked its hard drive and I haven't really had a lot of computer access since. Now that I can actually afford a new one, I'm looking at Lenovo, ASUS, and HP. I don't think the brand matters that much since all 3 of them have good ratings from 2012, but one thing I'm stuck on is Intel vs AMD. I see a lot of Intel laptops with only integrated graphics, but I know nothing about AMD and the nvidia and radeon cards they have. Could anyone give me some pointers here for what to look for so I can get a laptop that is good enough for minecraft/league/sims/etc. and other medium graphics games. I don't plan to try and play Battlefield 4 on the highest graphics or anything like that, at least not until i get the $$$ for a fancy desktop. ;)

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction so I can get back online soon. :)

PS: You can link me machines if you want but I am not able to buy anything by credit card, and I'm getting this rig from a store in Canada called Future Shop. Since I'm not paying for it, that's my only option until I have more income for a badass desktop.
Almost anything can play LoL. Even my six-year-old craptop. But for the Sims 3 you're going to want at least 1GB dedicated graphics card if you want to play on anything other than the lowest setting. Minecraft of course, scales it's requirements based on the mods and texture pack you want to load. I'd suggest at least 1GB dedicated graphics, and 8GB RAM with a fast processor. This will let you run most mods and texture packs up to 256x.

Almost anything can play LoL. Even my six-year-old craptop. But for the Sims 3 you're going to want at least 1GB dedicated graphics card if you want to play on anything other than the lowest setting. Minecraft of course, scales it's requirements based on the mods and texture pack you want to load. I'd suggest at least 1GB dedicated graphics, and 8GB RAM with a fast processor. This will let you run most mods and texture packs up to 256x.
I don't like jumping into a teamfight and having my fps drop to 2...

You will get more performance out of a desktop in your price range than a laptop. The thing is, you still haven't given us a price range. Tell us what you can spend.

If you're comfortable with building your own desktop, do not hesitate.

Laptops are for those who enjoy sunshine, expensive coffee and somehow needs to work all around the world instead of a single location.

Even though I have a laptop, I would go for a desktop. Laptops are for work mostly and the ones that are gaming-dedicated usually suck. Like what Vorsprung said, building your own desktop computer is better and there are some YouTube videos that explain the process of building one and the materials needed (it depends on what price range you are looking for). And even if you can't build your own, there are some desktops on sale that are perfect for you gaming experience :)

I ended up talking to some people in chat the morning I posted this and got an ASUS laptop for now. It was about $1, 075 with tax and warranty and it has a 1GB Radeon/AMD a10 and a 17" 1600x900 screen. I like it a lot and it's all I could really get for now until I end up getting money for a desktop. :)

I ended up talking to some people in chat the morning I posted this and got an ASUS laptop for now. It was about $1, 075 with tax and warranty and it has a 1GB Radeon/AMD a10 and a 17" 1600x900 screen. I like it a lot and it's all I could really get for now until I end up getting money for a desktop. :)

Just saying, You could have built a far superior desktop for half the price of what you got your laptop for.

Just saying, You could have built a far superior desktop for half the price of what you got your laptop for.
Indeed...my desktop which runs everything on ultra was $900 with tax and shipping.

Now, if he just wants both a laptop and a desktop I could see why he would get his laptop first. But if he only really wanted a desktop in the first place, I agree he should have just gotten one. $1,000+ for a desktop is generally overkill.

Indeed...my desktop which runs everything on ultra was $900 with tax and shipping.

Now, if he just wants both a laptop and a desktop I could see why he would get his laptop first. But if he only really wanted a desktop in the first place, I agree he should have just gotten one. $1,000+ for a desktop is generally overkill
So if I said I had $3000 allocated for a desktop, what could I do

So if I said I had $3000 allocated for a desktop, what could I do

Go SLi/Crossfire, Surround/Eyefinity, get three 120hz monitors and get a Kevin Rudd face decal for the side window?
rZX9CAS.png

My next PC is likely going to cost a few grand, but that's 'cause I settle for nothing less than the best.

This is probably going to be my build at some point, if anyone's interested:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gaLE

Going to SLI later.

Spending over $1300 on a gaming computer doesn't really seem like overkill. I'd rather be able to max everything, and not have to compromise. Upgrade when you're not happy with a component's performance anymore, simple as that. In this case I have a laptop (i7 2630qm, 560m) so that's not an option.

Now, if he just wants both a laptop and a desktop I could see why he would get his laptop first. But if he only really wanted a desktop in the first place, I agree he should have just gotten one. $1,000+ for a desktop is generally overkill.
I need a laptop for portability right now, and once I have the money I'm going to build a gaming desktop. This one wasn't really meant for hard core games, it's a replacement for my old laptop that died which also wasn't a gaming laptop.

Once I have $2000 I'll probably make another thread asking for good parts/tips on what I should put in it. :p

Back