• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Left4Dead vs. Left4Dead 2

Wooty

Staff member
<This image was lost in the great internet fire of 4/27/2010>

With the Left4Dead 2 release only weeks away (November 17, for those who were wondering), are you going to be picking up a copy for yourself? Many people won't.

A huge group of fans feel that this sequel is being released too early, and is thus inferior to a full release. They feel that L4D2 will simply be a rehash of the original --- something suitable for simple DLC, and some fans have even gone to the extent of creating "Anti-L4D2 Boycotts."

Sure, the rendering engine is the same, but new maps, new characters, new weapons, new enemies, and new AI constitutes a lot more than DLC. Left4Dead was an awesome game, and I don't think Valve would let a sequel slide out the door if they didn't feel it was ready.

Not everyone's going to love shelling out another 60$ eleven months after buying the original, but I'm confident L4D2 is going to be a new experience. I've already placed my pre-order, how bout you?

UPDATE: Looks like the L4D2 Boycott is over! Because Valve has released the new Crash Course map, as well as some upcoming DLC for versus matchmaking, the leaders of the boycott now say "We have accomplished everything we can on our manifesto." A 2-part map and matchmaking doesn't sound like very much DLC to me, but I'm happy that they're happy.

Back