• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Magna Mundi Cancelled

Zakkon

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?614933-Magna-Mundi-cancelled

Seems my closest upcoming favourite game was cancelled, 12 days before release!

In case you've never heard of Magna Mundi, here's the short story:
Paradox (game company from Stockholm, creators of Magicka), released Europa Universalis 3 in 2007. It's sort of a grand strategy game, where you control any nation through time from 1400 all the way to the Vienna peace in 1821. Over the years, there's been alot of mods (since the game is quite moddable), the most successful of them was Magna Mundi, which was sort of a total conversion mod.
In 2009 I believe, it was announced that the mod would become a standalone game to be released in 2010. Which was later delayed to Q2 2011. And delayed yet again several times until 30 june 2012. Imagine the dissapointment after 2-3 years of waiting. The apperent reason the game was cancelled was due to disagreements between Paradox's publishers, and the independent deveolopers over the quality of the game. The developers insisted the game was ready to be released, apart from a few bugs and an incomplete multiplayer function. Paradox could not accept this and deemed the developers untrustworthy, so they cancelled the game and took over the project. No other news was given, such as when or if the game might ever come out.

The mod seems to be dead aswell, since EU3's latest expansion (came out in 2010) reworked many features, in-effect killing every large mod, requiring lots of work to become compatible again. Even 2 years later, only a handful of mods have returned.
Paradox is probably the biggest gaming company working within the grand strategy genre and now that Paradox's only upcoming grand strategy game was cancelled, the genre may well be dead. Paradox instead focuses on promoting it's upcoming game "War of the Roses", a medieval styled FPS game set for release Q3 2012. Are FPS games taking over?

You play grand strategy games, Admiral? Surprised to find any mainstream gamer who cares about them. Maybe you fancy playing as CSA? ^^

GRAND strategy games? This interests me... Tell me more, please. I will try to get some internet later tonight.

@Admiral I tend to play the big blue blob in northern europe ^^
@MiniCacti Basically, it's a sort of advanced form of Risk. Instead of controlling a group of soldiers like in SC2, you control a nation on the map, and engage in diplomacy, build infrastructure, trade, and wage war. The fun thing for me is that every nation has its own historical challenges, for example if you play in 1550 as the prince-bishopic of Montenegro, you're constantly worrying about an ottoman invasion, but if you play as Spain you'll have an easier time colonising the americas, filling your coffers with gold as you plan to conquer all of western europe on the basis of some petty border incident.

Back