• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

[MC] Proposal to Change and Fix Spawn

mountainboy965

First off, let me just start off by saying that I absolutely want to see this server succeed. I think it has tremendous amounts of potential. Gurw and Theo have thorough knowledge of the mechanics and coding of the game. We have 3 great awesome worlds in which to build safely. And the hinterlands is tough, varied, and big. Everything is in place, pretty much.

Again, the premise of this thread is this- "To create a successful survival experience for minecraft players."

With that thought in mind, I would like to make a proposal-

A renewed, exciting-looking spawn, that grabs the attention of first-time log-on players.

The Issue: With voting in place and players beginning to consistently vote again, we are getting quite a few new people logging on. The problem- almost immediately after they log on, they leave. The suspect? A boring looking spawn that makes many players think this server is lame, when in fact, it has some brilliant brains behind it. We need to learn how to market this server better, both inside and outside the game. I don't know a lick about marketing it outside the game (that's where T9K, theo, gurw all come in). But one thing I am confident about is building and making things look great inside the game.

I would be more than happy to take over the task of making spawn a fantastic place. I did it on another server (Phyzion/mrn2itiv), and have already tried my best to make spawn more worthy (Gurdwara of Gurw, The Stables, and the shop). However, I feel like it could be 10 times better. With creative powers and spawn perms over the weekend of a Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I could come up with something amazing, that would entice new players to explore and stay on a little longer.

The success of the server depends on getting new players who come in and stay. And right now, one simple fix and perking up spawn and making it nice could help ensure the future success of this server.

PS: Sorry for any spelling errors. In a hurry to get to work.

Build on a single player world and PM the admins with your world file (in compressed archive format). Theo will put the uncompressed world folder in the appropriate location on the backend, and I will load the world in, copy the build, paste it into spawn, and delete the world file.

Don't use a .schematic format. Those always, always, ALWAYS cause more trouble than they are worth unless the persons doing the copying and pasting are the same person.

Spawn is pretty big, so get the exact size before you begin, so you can fill the whole thing.

This is, of course, contingent on the admin approval of the build.

EDIT: Any player(s) can consider this an open invitation to do the same. Don't consider it a contest, as we may switch out submissions on a weekly/monthly/whatever basis, or we might ignore all of you because we can.

EDIT2: All inventory blocks such as chests and trapped chests will have their extra data cleared to prevent bringing items into the server. This is the same reason that nobody will be given creative powers on the server.

Not an edit because some people may need to get a notification of this: Do NOT put a ceiling over wherever you want new players to spawn, and make that area at least 15x15.

Not an edit because some people may need to get a notification of this: Do NOT put a ceiling over wherever you want new players to spawn, and make that area at least 15x15.
My first server's spawn point had a ceiling over it.

My first server's spawn point had a ceiling over it.
So then I assume you have some trick up your sleeve that I'm unaware of to fix the problem of new players spawning on the highest block, and have been withholding that information for some very good reason since the server started.

So then I assume you have some trick up your sleeve that I'm unaware of to fix the problem of new players spawning on the highest block, and have been withholding that information for some very good reason since the server started.
Every official server before this one has had a roof.

No clue, maybe a higher roof?

No clue, maybe a higher roof?
Right now they are spawning on top of the island that encloses the device which teleports them to spawn. Not sure how much higher we'd need to go.
Every official server before this one has had a roof.
Honestly I can't think of one, the spawn was always in open air if memory serves. On the deck of the airship, on top of that log cylinder monstrosity, etc. Maybe we should just install Superspawn.

Right now they are spawning on top of the island that encloses the device which teleports them to spawn. Not sure how much higher we'd need to go.
Honestly I can't think of one, the spawn was always in open air if memory serves. On the deck of the airship, on top of that log cylinder monstrosity, etc. Maybe we should just install Superspawn.
Those two were both enclosed, whether it be glass or not. It was enclosed.

No? They weren't?
The airship had glass over it, I think. This was done to protect players from jumping off or something. Later spawns were in the main building on the main floor or up the stair case thingy. I forget which.

The log cylinder, I believe you either reference the world with Phoenix Peak iteration of Cydonia or the 1.0 world. In either one, there was definitely a ceiling over the spawn.

Anyway, doesn't spawn work like "Hey, you start at (x, y, z), nowhere else"? If so, then this is probably an issue with Bukkit or whatever is being used.

I assume you've already tried directly setting the spawn point from the default as well as checking to make sure the spawn floor isn't a slab?

EDIT: I remember now that you started on top of the tower on a glass platform on the log cylinders. But I still think later spawns were on the main floor for later iterations of the cylinder.

The airship had glass over it, I think. This was done to protect players from jumping off or something. Later spawns were in the main building on the main floor or up the stair case thingy. I forget which.
Nope. And nope. Early spawns, before the airship was a thing, were in the castle. And I know for a fact that I could jump off the airship right up to the last day of that map.
The log cylinder, I believe you either reference the world with Phoenix Peak iteration of Cydonia or the 1.0 world. In either one, there was definitely a ceiling over the spawn.
I know for a fact that there was no ceiling. I helped BUILD that thing.
Anyway, doesn't spawn work like "Hey, you start at (x, y, z), nowhere else"? If so, then this is probably an issue with Bukkit or whatever is being used.
No. "Spawn" in multiplayer is a single coordinate, but new players (and unless modified by a plugin, all respawns) can happen in any 10x10 area around that block, centered on the NW corner of the block (in Single Player, the area is 20x20). The spawn will always occur on the highest block of the particular column that the spawn algorithm decided to put them in. If I made one block in that 10x10 at y=255, then 1 out of every 100 new players would be unlucky enough to spawn on that block. Height or transparency has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Now, that's Vanilla spawning. Bukkit apparently cannot overwrite that, but there are plugins that essentially check to see if a player is new to the server and, if they are, runs the /spawn command. That's basically what the little clock machine I have above spawn does right now, but it breaks every so often.

I assume you've already tried directly setting the spawn point from the default as well as checking to make sure the spawn floor isn't a slab?
Yes.
EDIT: I remember now that you started on top of the tower on a glass platform on the log cylinders. But I still think later spawns were on the main floor for later iterations of the cylinder.
The only one that I can recall had the firstspawn in the spawn quiz, which was a void-world of its own with no ceiling.

Nope. And nope. Early spawns, before the airship was a thing, were in the castle. And I know for a fact that I could jump off the airship right up to the last day of that map.
I know for a fact that there was no ceiling. I helped BUILD that thing.

No. "Spawn" in multiplayer is a single coordinate, but new players (and unless modified by a plugin, all respawns) can happen in any 10x10 area around that block, centered on the NW corner of the block (in Single Player, the area is 20x20). The spawn will always occur on the highest block of the particular column that the spawn algorithm decided to put them in. If I made one block in that 10x10 at y=255, then 1 out of every 100 new players would be unlucky enough to spawn on that block. Height or transparency has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Now, that's Vanilla spawning. Bukkit apparently cannot overwrite that, but there are plugins that essentially check to see if a player is new to the server and, if they are, runs the /spawn command. That's basically what the little clock machine I have above spawn does right now, but it breaks every so often.

Yes.

The only one that I can recall had the firstspawn in the spawn quiz, which was a void-world of its own with no ceiling.

dfe3a7320a.png
924ac0d5ca.png

And you see that little open-air area surrounded by fence just before you begin the descent into the tower?

That was firstspawn.

I do remember it being open because you could opt for jumping over the side into a pool of water instead of walking down the stairs.

I do remember it being open because you could opt for jumping over the side into a pool of water instead of walking down the stairs.
Pretty much. Every spawn that I can recall had the firstspawn in an open-air area. There may have been a ceiling over the respawn point, but the firstspawn was either on top of the building or in another dimension (spawn quiz).

Back