Microsoft reveals new Xbox IllumiRoom concept

littlespedve

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

Proof-of-concept system from Microsoft Research uses Kinect camera to combine virtual and physical worlds.

Microsoft has offered a glimpse into what the future of gaming may look like. The company's Research team has detailed on its website a visual IllumiRoom system that combines the virtual and physical worlds using a Kinect camera.

As shown in the video below (which does not use any special effects), the system can alter the appearance of a room, trigger apparent motion, and extend a field of view, all in the name of enabling new gameplay experiences.

IllumiRoom uses the features and geometry of a room, captured by Kinect, to alter the projected visuals in real-time. A custom pre-process arrangement is not necessary.

The technology is currently in a proof-of-concept stage, and it is not clear if Microsoft plans to incorporate the technology into the Xbox 360 or its rumored successor. Microsoft will divulge more information on the IllumiRoom technology at the human-computer interaction ACM SIGCHI conference in Paris, France, which runs April 27-May 2.

This looks like it could be pretty cool if used correctly and not gimmicky.

Well. That's interesting. I'm actually excited for something one of the big 3 are releasing. I'm sure it will pass.

Just imagine using the "Go big" command with it in a white room, would be amazing.
This new xbox is looking pretty fantastic although I'd like to see more about it.

This seems intriguing and i'll probably look more into this in the future although the use of the Kinect camera worries me.

This seems intriguing and i'll probably look more into this in the future although the use of the Kinect camera worries me.
If invasion of privacy is what you are suggesting, I beg to differ.
kinzie.jpg

There's a line between "corporate monitoring" and invasion of privacy. All the companies want is information about what you consume (food, media, information) and where you get it from so they can better target you for advertising and special deals. If the Kinect freaks you out, then you probably will want to stop shopping at places like Target and Wal-Mart.

Not about monitoring, rather the Kinect is a horrible product itself (in my experience) so I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up failing.

Not about monitoring, rather the Kinect is a horrible product itself (in my experience) so I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up failing.

I suggest you do more research on the amazing technology that is the Kinect and all the new amazing technology that was made BASED ON and USING the Kinect via the Kinect SDK.

MS has already said the new Kinect will be much more advanced, even finger detection, so I'm sure this is based off the Kinect 2.

I suggest you do more research on the amazing technology that is the Kinect and all the new amazing technology that was made BASED ON and USING the Kinect via the Kinect SDK.

MS has already said the new Kinect will be much more advanced, even finger detection, so I'm sure this is based off the Kinect 2.
There is no doubt in my mind the Kinect has the potential to be an amazing product but I feel it's hindered by the fact that it doesn't recognize movement the majority of the time and is generally unresponsive itself (this is my personal experience with the product, so I can't say it doesn't work better for others). As you say the Kinect 2 will be far more advanced than the current product but if the aforementioned problems aren't fixed it's purpose as a motion gaming device disregarding it's other functions will be a hindrance to the genre.

There's a line between "corporate monitoring" and invasion of privacy. All the companies want is information about what you consume (food, media, information) and where you get it from so they can better target you for advertising and special deals. If the Kinect freaks you out, then you probably will want to stop shopping at places like Target and Wal-Mart.
If you are that paranoid about monitoring, then unplug it after use.
@_o

That was a reference...

I agree that the Kinect has some very impressive technology. But I have yet to see a game on the Kinect that looks like anything other than shovelware.

Grasp it's target audience.

That doesn't make me like it more. However, if this Illumiroom turns out to be something interesting, perhaps it's "target audience" will widen? I would love to see this technology applied to something other than dance games.

Back