• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Minecraft Related Suggestion: Ranks

L_O_T_r

Throughout my intensive game playing/game making/game development/Clan/Alliance creations I have constantly noticed a pattern in many games, keeping it fresh. The constant demands from many people to full fill there boredness is always a problem as you have encountered by now I hope and here is my two cents, and whoever else feels like they need to comment on this. Also woot I dont know if you feel like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sxFUMQ0OpA
or you really care about this. Honestly I could care less because I like minecraft a lot right now/everyone that is on this server. But you do seem to like coding/moderating so I assume you do care so here is my suggestion:

::::::::::::::::::::TO SKIP THE BS READ BELLOW:::::::::::::::

Problem: Ranks have a lack of motivational attraction to Minecraft.

Proof: Guite leaving and I assume many others.

What I think you should do about solving this problem:

Step 1: Ignore what the old schoolers have to say about this topic ie: most of the pro/owner ranks/people getting close to pro in your eyes, they have been through the ranks and most likely are already bored with minecraft/do not want to do extra work. (Which is why they will say the ranks now are fine and additional ones are not needed)

Step 2: Address the huge issue of the build up of people between cool/builder/awesome. You have terrible ratios between these ranks and definitely need to smooth them out.

- Suggestions:

- Adding a rank (or two) between guest/cool (many people have agreed with me on this one).

- Adding a rank between cool/builder, although with the people I talked to on mumble did not like this idea I felt it is extremely necessary because I just jumped this gap. It is a gap that needs addressing because it is based on building purely. (This concept is important right here because you need to keep the motivation up for building and teasing them will just:

A. Create Epic buildings on worlds
B. Filter out the people that really want to get there.

- From this point forward I lose all credibility in my argument as I am only a builder rank. But seeing how every rank from engineer+ has more and more admin powers it is more of a thing of trust in your eyes. The only thing I can suggest from what I have seen is maybe a more spread out of admin powers / check points for yourself in terms of adding ranks. (People who sit on the same rank for months at a time I am sure is not a fun feeling thus boredom ensues).

I am very interested to see what people have to say on this.

Sincerely L_O_T_R

PS: I think I got everything if not, I will post a reply to this thread. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Also, someone suggested a few days ago but I think it was waved off/not heard enough.

Worlds for Builder ie: Like the cool worlds
I know there are zone worlds but those are more zone oriented. How about a separate builder world (give it a try)

Excellent comments L_O_T_r. I agree with mostly everything you had to say and I personally feel like this might be quite possible, especially with the unexplored potential of mute. I do not know how you feel about the /mute command Woot, but that seems to be the most lax admin power since no one is booted from the game and yet only awesome+ have it. If more ranks are added, it seems like that might be something extended down (maybe with a limit placed on it for certain ranks, I.E. builders/engineers can only mute for so ling compared to awesome+) to lower ranks, as it would be easy police something like that and anyone with builder+ rank would be stupid to use it incorrectly (however there is always that ONE guy). Let me know what you think about this, as from my end this seems like a relatively easier way to go about things then to redo the whole system.

I think the idea of more ranks would be beneficial to minecraft, I think extending some of the admin commands (even mute) to lower ranks may not be such a good idea. The whole premise behind the ranks(correct me if I'm wrong, which I so often seem to be on these forums!) currently is a weeding process for griefers and what-not. If /mute or some other command were to be given to lower ranked players, there may be a better chance of abuse. I think the commands should stay in the ranks they are, since /ban and /kick are given more to players who earn woot's, et. al. trust than players who build awesome things.

I strongly feel that admin powers should stay where they are at, as in builder+. I honestly can't imput much onto this subject though because I am only builder. If there was a way to... create very minimal commands for the rank after builder, keep the commands for engineer, then add another between engineer / awesome with commands added in such as a limited version of freeze? or mute? Then I think that might be better.... But then again I am only builder sooo yep.

Thanks for replying btw guys, build on.

Well, what I had in mind is, if possible, for mute to be moved down to a rank as low as builder even, but with a limit of say....20 seconds? something small that can get the attention of people being dicks when there isn't anyone online that can. Each rank would have a little bit more added or what not. It does'nt even have to be builder rank, it can be engineer. I know engineer is like an admin extension of builder. The rank of engineer sits right on the line between a dedicated player and a trusted player.

Time for an awesomes input? Don't ignore me:)
I think this is a good idea. Wooty should make perhaps 2 or 3 new worlds for builders to just have fun in, no theme oriented stuff. About admin stuff and ranking and all that, I do not have a good sense of the politics behind all or that. I am not on mumble so I have no clue what goes on most of the time. About minecraft, I am NOT getting bored of minecraft, I still love beta and will keep playing that. I am not on classic as much as I used to be because school started up again, I have no time to do any patrolling, but there are many awesomes with more free time than my brother and I. They are usually on.

About ranks. There used to be another yellow rank between cool and builder, artist. This rank was mostly reserved for the good sprite builders however. I think wooty should bring back something like that, to level out the ranks a little. In my opinion, there should be at least 5 pros that are active, 30 awesomes, 100 (speculation on that one, might be too little or too much) engineers. All of these to maintain the server while other are off, perhaps get time zones of people to determine if the rank is needed.

I just finished working out so my rational thought is not working, do not take what I said to seriously. I could be way off with most of my post, as I am a meat head right now. Hope I do not cause too much disturbance.

Thats also an excellent point, figure out timezones so we at least know when to expect the fewest admin on and can prepare accordingly.

Casey I have pulled a 24/7 nerd out on minecraft and there is generally overall at least 2 awesome+ ranks on almost at all times if not on mumble (I have yet to be on mumble and casham, tofurky, or Ozy not to be on and active)

So I am not sure if that is the problem, but others could prove me wrong

One thing that also happens, most of us mods/admins are very busy with life things. I have school almost 24/7 so I am not on, I am sure that others have the same problem. Going on classic all the time and patrolling for rule breakers is very dull. On top of that people are always wining for admins to look at their stuff, or use their powers to get rid of junk. I say they are spoiled. We had something called use your mouse and do it yourself ;). Perhaps that when you pulled the 24/7 it was a busy day and less people were on? I am not by any means being stern, please take this post as a light hearted one, not a cruel judging one. Don't want anyone angry with me.

Also I just found another problem from just reading guite's goodbye thread (hates when people write those) and that is the possibility of getting pro rank and how there is zero chance of getting it basically. I did not understand this but do now so if you could please woot put somewhere obvious that this is so (prehaps in the promotions rules / understanding)

Also briggs agreed as I am busy myself with school n such as everyone most likely is

Ya, I think a lot of people were under the impression that you could reach pro rank. They need to clarify that. I think that was thought because TheChrisHill, Tofu, and Cash were promoed. But they were very active, super active. (I am not going to get into the chris thing, don't start)

Lol, school takes up SO much of my day:rolleyes:. It sucks that such a respected member of t9k left, but at least he told us why and now we can improve on it...anyway, I don't think there should be more than 4 new ranks if anymore are added, that is. To many ranks could be a problem. But, new worlds would be nice for builders and such.

4 new ranks? I was only thinking of 1, maybe two. What are your ideas for the four ranks?

hmm maybe not 4 maybe 2 I do tend to exaggerate.
1 between guest/cool
1 between cool/builder
1 between builder/engineer or engineer/awesome

Rank system is fine. If you really take it as motivation to actually play, then I think you might have more of a problem with the game and not the rank system. The way things are now seem fine.

hmm, you might be right maybe.

Edit: On a second thought I totally disagree with you, I love this game. I am right now battling myself about whether I should buy beta because I like it so much. So no I do not have a problem with minecraft (my works of past buildings prove this fact)

I do have a problem tho with the ranking system. And I am free to speak my mind in this suggestion box :D

hmm, you might be right maybe.

Edit: On a second thought I totally disagree with you, I love this game. I am right now battling myself about whether I should buy beta because I like it so much. So no I do not have a problem with minecraft (my works of past buildings prove this fact)

I do have a problem tho with the ranking system. And I am free to speak my mind in this suggestion box :D
Ok so you like the game, then why does it matter if you can progress in ranks or not, something that's not actually part of minecraft?

Back