MiniCacti is looking for laptop expertise...

If you don't need to move it around, I highly suggest you build a desktop.

The Toshiba is better.
I would like nothing better than to build a desktop. Sadly, those are not conveniently portable. :laugh:

Are you saying the Toshiba is better solely performance wise, or bang/buck wise?
NINJA EDIT: Also, do you have any of the hardware? I trust word of mouth slightly more than internet benchmarks and reviews, and would love to hear some.

I would like nothing better than to build a desktop. Sadly, those are not conveniently portable. :laugh:

Are you saying the Toshiba is better solely performance wise, or bang/buck wise?
NINJA EDIT: Also, do you have any of the hardware? I trust word of mouth slightly more than internet benchmarks and reviews, and would love to hear some.
If you want Semi-Portable desktops, you could always go for a Mini Tower with a Micro-ATX Motherboard. They can get quite compact.
Falcon-Northwest-Microgaming-PC-Gear-Patrol.jpg

When it comes to CAD software, MATLAB, etc., things like processing power, graphics, available RAM, and especially screen real-estate become a huge factor. Both laptops seem about equal in those respects, so let's focus on the little things.

Reliability: Do some more research on these specific laptops on Google and read some user reviews (if any). Pay special attention to handling glitches. I had a Sony VIAO whose hard drive died on me within a year because I kept picking it up and moving it while it running.

Warranty: If you want this laptop to keep running throughout your undergraduate career, a getting a 2 or 3-year accidental warranty on it is a good idea. As expensive as laptops are, the extra money spent on a warranty will save you TONS when a rainy day arrives.

Battery: The more cells, the longer the laptop can go without a plug (generally). With the programs you'll have, don't expect either laptop to last on batteries much longer than 2.5 hours despite claims.

Ergonomics: The numeric keypad on the Acer is nice, but pay attention to its location and whether it will get in the way while you are typing. Also pay attention to mousepad sensitivity. The accidental brush of your palm while you are typing can have you typing your papers in a different location, or can activate OS hotkeys outside of your intention.

If you don't need to move it around, I highly suggest you build a desktop.

The Toshiba is better.
I don't think you've ever worked with a toshiba computer before then.

-They are loaded to the top with bloatware
-Their flimsy plastic shells break really easily (I've owned several, hinges always break)
-I don't know when I've had one that either the motherboard or the harddrive went out
-When you go to get your computer repaired under warrenty, literally everyone on customer support does not speak english, and even though you have a warrenty they will direct you somewhere completely different than where you need to go.

Toshiba 1/10

I thought this thread said laptop exercise, and I came in here fully prepared to make a giggity comment.

..... I'mma just leave now, as I have nothing to contribute. .w. Never owned a laptop for an extended period of time, so yeah.

Back